Battery Junction - Olight
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: help me find some binoculars?

Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)

Default help me find some binoculars?

I am looking for a decent set of binoculars, and willing to pay for quality. I just need to justify the uptick in expense.

I welcome recos with a link to your fav retailer as well

Thanks,

Tyson
    -------------------------------------------
    Diagnosis: Technolust
    My lights: Surefire L4, Princeton Tec Apex
    [FONT=Arial]

Default Re: recommendations on a nice set of binos

Tyson, I highly recommend the Pentax DCF WP series. I put mine (8x42) through several years of continuous field use (I even had them around my neck in a boat that sunk in the Peruvian Amazon) and they are still as good as new. Well, they may have a bit of mud stuck somewhere but the optics are in pristine condition after all the abuse they've been through.

The 8x32 are about an inch shorter and a bit lighter, but you get proportionally more light inside the 8x42's.

Flashaholic*

There is a lot to think about here...

First is price range, second is roof prism vs. porro prism (roof prism binocs have straight tubes, porro prism have zig-zag tubes). For equivalent quality, porro prism binocs will be a little cheaper. Roof prism binocs are more compact and will focus closer.

There are many different price ranges. If you want under say $200 then stick with porro prism. 8 power or so is best for most people, up to 10 power is OK but you don't really gain much.

Large objective lenses don't help much unless you are young and want to use them in low light. In daylight a 32mm is theoretically as bright as a 50mm. Under 32mm is still good in daylight but nice and compact.

I did some research recently and bought Pentax 8x32 DCF SP. I found others that looked good- Nikon Monarch 8x42 and sporter 8x36, Bushnell legend 8x32, and various Leupold models. These are mostly in the $300 price range.

I did some research recently and bought.
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

I can't give any reccomendations as to a brand but consider buying 7x50 unless you have a specific need. These are excellent all around and even cheap pairs gather a lot of light and let you see clearer at dusk and near dark than with your naked eye.

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

i highly recomend Steiner Penegrine 10x50 a have had a pair for about a year and they work very well in low light and hazy foggy condidtions as well as normal conditions though they are a litle high they are worth it
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

You know, it'd be nice to know what your intended purpose is. Those 10x50 are sweeeet, but I wouldn't want to haul them around

Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)

Guys, thanks for the education and opinions - keep em coming!

My intended use is simple, general use. They will go in the 'adventure bag' with the 2 ways, the GPS, first aid kit, etc...

Thanks again,

Tyson
    -------------------------------------------
    Diagnosis: Technolust
    My lights: Surefire L4, Princeton Tec Apex
    [FONT=Arial]

Ah, OK, so "full size" might not be what you're looking for (unless you're into birding) I prefer the full size ones over anything else because of their versatility. Incidentally, some bino reviews say DCF WP Pentax optics are almost on par with Swarovski (except around the edge of the FOV, where there's some distortion, IIRC).

The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other

my steiners are pretty compact for what you get about 5"X7"
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

These are really expensive.

But they are pretty special.

Canon IS 18x50

http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Canon%2018x50%20IS.htm

Good if you also want to stargaze with them.

HTH

Mark

Last edited by Cones; 09-01-2005 at 11:10 PM.
    Latest Reviews:-QIII,Aleph1,ARC4,ORB,LH, IK CR2 LE, Gladius, LionCub!,Pubfits,VB-16,SF U2,L1,Pubfits,ORB Raw Silver, Fenix L1+, JIL-Lite 1.3W UP, MAG 951 II
    Played With MegaRay175!
    NEW!Reviews New Host site www.cones-stuff.co.uk

If you want very high quality images under all light conditions, choose binoculars that astronomers use. Tiny pin-point light sources (stars) are the hardest thing for any optical train to image correctly without adding unwanted chromatic aberration and spherical distortion.

Astronomy binoculars will have prisms that are make with BAK-4 glass.
    Avoid the lower quality BK-7 made prisms.

Astronomy binoculars will have "Fully Multi-coated Lenses", and not the much more common and less desireable "Coated" or 'Multi-coated".

Astronomy binoculars will have long eye relief so eye-glass wearers will not have to remove their glasses to see full field views.

Astronomy binoculars will have the very best large diameter multi-lens eyepieces. No more squinting through eyepieces with diameters smaller than a dime!

Astronomy binoculars will have a field of view with tack sharp focus across the entire field. No more fuzziness away from the center of view.

I have found a good balance between quality and price in the following lines:

1) Celestron's Ultima series
    2) Carton's Adlerblick series
    3) Orion UltraView Long Eye Relief series
    4) Pentax PCF WP series
    5) Nikon Action VI series

Most of the binocs in the lines listed above can be had for under US$250 and you just would not believe the difference between them and inexpensive department/camera store models. I have personally tried the series that are listed.

My current astronomy binocs are 10 X 50 Celestron Ultima's and whenever I show them to someone for the first time, I first pass them a pair of (pretty fair for under $100) Bushnell 10 X50's so they can establish a baseline for comparison. Most people agree that the extra cost is worth it when they can see the difference with their own two eyes.

One of our supporting dealers has Gov. issue 7x50 at a good price.
    www.countycomm.com

Outrider

If you can afford them, internally focused roof prism binoculars are optically excellent, and near bullet proof because they can be sealed and can be made waterproof. With no moving parts in the optical path outside the sealed unit, short of breaking them, it is almost impossible to knock them out of alignment. Unless your two eyeballs has vastly different corrections (>3 diopter difference), Center focus is a lot easier to use.
    If your eye sight is really bad, look for binoculars that offer large eye relief (large distance between eyepiece and your eyeball. This will allow you to wear your glasses while looking through.

For my money, the best price performance is probably the Bausch & Lomb Discoverer series.
    These are not exactly cheap, but give you probably 99% of the performance of Zeiss or Leica Roof Prisms for about 1/4 the price in a 7 x 42 which is probably about the best all around size. It is lighter than roof prism 7x50's (and a lot less dear), 7 tends to be the useful upper limit for hand held, and if you are over about 35, there is no real difference in after dark performance, your pupil won't open as wide as the 7 x50. B&L 7x42 Discoverer can be purchased on the net for a little less than $300.

If you want to above 7X, consider image stabilized
    (I think both Canon and Nikon make them), they have to be experienced to be believed, however none of these are expecially good after dark, and you will definitely pay for the honor. The difference between 12x and image stabilized 12x is startling.
    Last edited by mattheww50; 09-01-2005 at 05:47 PM.

Flashaholic

Swarovski EL series are probably the best and they come with a price tag that reflects it ~$1600.

Leica would be my runner-up. I have a pair of 10x42BN that I purchased from a camera shop online from NY. They were $750 but sold for $1000 most everywhere else.

Larger binos weigh more and this won't seem to be a problem until they hang from your neck all day.

I highly recommend this strap if the binos won't fit into a pocket:
    https://www.crookedhorn.com/index.ph...8c05314fe0a5ec

Here are some of the places that I know of that have great prices:
    http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/binoculars.htm

Good Luck,
    Chris
    "If there's lead in the air, there's hope" -- A hunting quote borrowed from a Canadian Guide.

Canon's optics and image stabilizers are absolutely unbelievable, especially given their long heritage in these two fields. After you've experienced their IS system you'll never want to go back. I have not worked with their binocs but I have owned and seen examples of their optics and IS in other areas.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

Quote Originally Posted by KevinL
    Canon's optics and image stabilizers are absolutely unbelievable, especially given their long heritage in these two fields. After you've experienced their IS system you'll never want to go back. I have not worked with their binocs but I have owned and seen examples of their optics and IS in other areas.
    See my review above.

Mark
    Latest Reviews:-QIII,Aleph1,ARC4,ORB,LH, IK CR2 LE, Gladius, LionCub!,Pubfits,VB-16,SF U2,L1,Pubfits,ORB Raw Silver, Fenix L1+, JIL-Lite 1.3W UP, MAG 951 II
    Played With MegaRay175!
    NEW!Reviews New Host site www.cones-stuff.co.uk

Saw it, that's what inspired me to post about Canon's IS. Currently shooting on their amazing 17-85 IS USM lens - last night I got a picture of an E1e so sharp you can almost smell the lithium!

But you're right, their IS binoculars are priced out of this world. However, they're the only way to get that high a magnification without handshake blur ruining everything.

On the other hand, the CountyComm porro prism 7x50s are the best $35 I've ever spent on binoculars. The price is absolutely unbeatable! They are a little heavy at close to 2 pounds, but they offer so much for so little.
    Celebrating the ROP.. 5 years of history

Flashaholic

For big bino's, I have a pair of Steiner 7x50 Marine Military. They're kind of unwieldy, but superb quality and are generally a bit cheaper than other high end brands like Zeiss and Leica.

For smaller bino's, yet big enough for low lite use, I would recommend Leica's. There are a host of sizes available. Their 8x30's are light, fairly compact, and good enough for tracking the moons of Jupiter or (in a dark sky) spotting the Andromeda Galaxy, as well as standard terrestrial low lite or night use. They are also good enough for spotting the planet Uranus from my light polluted neighborhood, and would probably be good enough to spot Neptune if I had enough clear days in a row to track it's movement (Seattle area is not the best for amateur astronomers!).

I have a pair of Zeiss 8x30 armored binos. Good optical quality, but my friends Leica's are definitely superior. But be prepared. . . they're pricey, though still under $1000, I think. Bigger Leica's cost more, so it depends on what your primary use might be . . . try 'em out at a retailer.

Flashaholic*

I can't believe no one has mentioned Better View Desired

This is primarily a birding bino web site but has excellent reviews.

My bino is a Brunton Eterna 10X25. It's waterproof, rugged and compact and has nice optics. But it went out of production and I bought it used several years ago. They have a new line available but I haven't personally tried them.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

Flashaholic

I had a pair of 15x70's, very well balanced for their size, good for night use. Recently I got a pair or canon 12x36 IS2, after doing some websearching. They show me at least as much as the 15x70 in the daytime, you can really study the detail in objects. Go try a pair, you'll never look back. I hate the way the world keeps jiggling about in 'normal' bins!

Cheers

PEterW
    Striving to banish beam defects wherever they lurk!

"... willing to pay for quality."

Try before you buy. What might be acceptable to someone else might not make the grade for you.

Also, the level of quality needed for a quick look at something is vastly lower than the level of quality need for long viewing of things.

If you want VERYGOOD binoculars, then you are pretty much looking at >$1000. Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, those guys. Be aware that once you see how nice those uber-expensive binos are, you will be spoiled and will not want less. You'll have to decide for yourself if the price is acceptable to you.

The range in the $200-$600 ballpark can be pretty good. It can also be marginal.

Good binoculars are a joy to use. Not-so-good ones are literally a pain (in the eye-strain and headache that looking through them can cause).
    Mike

EDC: HDS U60GT with RCR123, guilt-free lumens!
    old EDC: ARC4+, semi-tactical, force primary, primary=10, secondary=4
    Life is too short for ugly or cheap.

First off, there have been several past threads that addressed this topic with lots of wisdom, that unfortunately aren't accessible due to the system changeover. One thing I'll offer is my agreement that "once you try Image Stabilized, you'll never go back!" I have the Canon 15x50 IS and while they are pricey, they totally spoil you. Long distance observation, astronomy, birding, and aircraft spotting become an amazing pleasure when you can combine the punch of high power magnification with rock-solid stability. There's no way you could hand-hold 15 (or 18) power binos and have a steady image without IS. Before buying, I visited a local camera chain and compared the Canons with Nikon's "StabilEyes" IS binocs and found the Canons to be simultaneously better performing and lower priced. They are spendy. But if you buy them, the momentary sting of the purchase price will be offset by the pleasure of owning and using the best. (sound familiar??)

By the way, I bought mine from Amazon, who had as good a price as I found at the time. The local camera shop had arrogant yet clueless staff, smudged and and shopworn merchandise that had been overly demo'd and handled, and they wanted to charge full suggested retail price. Three strikes and you're out!

All that said, there ARE decent binocs available for $100 to $200 for starting out, and I can actually recommend the inexpensive CountyComm 7x50s as an affordable set that are far better than their "Beater" pricing would indicate. The Nikon "Action" and "Monarch" lines are good medium-priced binocs that are highly regarded (although I haven't owned those).

I recommend browsing the betterviewdesired.com site (which is primarily intended for birders) along with the Cloudy Nights forums at www.cloudynights.com -- which is sorta like CPF for astronomy equipment and has a specific forum for binoculars with an extensive Reviews section. Watch out though, because they have a similar fanaticism towards binos as we do towards flashlights . . .

Hope this is a helpful start. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

Dave
    Whatever is good and perfect comes from God above, who created all heaven's lights. Unlike them, He never changes or casts shifting shadows. James 1:17 (NLT)

Flashaholic

Question Are Simmons Binoculars Any Good?

I see these on sale cheap - I'm talking $20 for 8x40 binoculars, $15 for 7x35, $10 for the mini 12x25. Are these worth picking up, or are they junk?

At this price I'm definitely not expecting Steiner or Canon Image Stabilization quality, light gathering capability, sharpness, etc. I'm just wondering if they are good enough to throw into the bailout bag in the car, bring to football games, or to the beach for girlwatching.

So, should I save my money for a Swarovski, or are these usable enough for casual use?

Oh, I also see a 8x21 monocular on sale for $8.

Bruise

Default Re: Are Simmons Binoculars Any Good?

I've been using a Simmons monocular for years. It's seems to do fine, though I've never had a "high class" one to compare it to. Simmons has been around a long time, and I think their stuff is probably as good any others' in that price range. I've got some cheap Bushnell and Tasco binocs that perform on the same level as the Simmons monoc. The small Travelite Nikons (best thing I ever won in a drawing) are noticeably sharper and brighter.

Geoff

Depends on what you expect from it. I have several cheap pairs of Simmons binoculars and Ram monoculars scattered around and they serve just fine for what we normally need them for. They are normally much better than the naked eye, but no where near as good as I higher end pair of 'real' binocs (Steiners for instance). The Simmons will normally let you see what you already see much better, but the Steiners will let you see things that you can's see (either from distance, haze, darkness, etc).

I have several of their scopes and have always been very pleased with them. They aren't high end optics, but you do get a lot of bang for the buck with their products. I would assume that their binoculars are just as good. Get the 8X40. It's a good all around size for most anything. The 12X25 you will find are hard to hold steady. Sure it's nice to have a very small compact binocular set, I have a 10X25 Bushnell set and I really like the size, but I should have gotten an 8X25. The only other 10X I have is a set of 10X50 Bushnell. They are pretty bright and excellent for long range, but they are also very large. Most of the time though I find myself using using my 8X40's that were a Bass Pro Shop special for $25. I expected mediocre optics, but they are actually very good.

So for the deals you found on Simmons, go for it, they are definitely very affordable and for what you want to do with them, they should be perfect. Besides, everybody should have several pairs of binoculars for various things.

It's up to you to determine if they are "good enough".

The Simmons stuff is usually decent but not spectacular. But it's also usually 1/2 or 1/10 the cost of the high-end optics.

Beware that once you use a good pair of binoculars, the less expensive stuff has a hard time stacking up quality and image wise. Cheap binoculars are a pain (in the eyes or head), while good binoculars are a joy to use. The drawback is usually that good binoculars are a pain to the wallet (but only once).
    Mike

EDC: HDS U60GT with RCR123, guilt-free lumens!
    old EDC: ARC4+, semi-tactical, force primary, primary=10, secondary=4
    Life is too short for ugly or cheap.

Flashaholic*

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I had some cheap Bushness binocs that were barely adequate for me. I bought some Nikon binocs, something like 9x25 and something like $100, and have been happy with them for casual use. I bought a set of something like 8x21 a few years ago, when they were some kind of promotion for $10. They are only good for emergency use and too annoying to use if you really want to see anything.

You can buy pretty good binocs for $50-100 if you aren't a snob and if you remember the rules of binoculars-
    1) Birdwatching "binocular snobs" (people who are snobs about binoculars that is) will complain about $1000 binoculars.
    2) Porro Prism binocs are usually better than roof prism binocs of the same cost. (Porro prism means the binocs are a "Z" shape, roof prism means they are a straight tube.)
    3) Binocs with "zoom" are almost always much poorer than similarly priced models with fixed magnification.
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

Flashaholic

Default Simmons Binoculars Mini-Review

I just bought four Simmons Binoculars so I thought I'd write a quick review for those of you who might be interested. I want to make it clear I'm no expert in the field of optics, so don't expect any technical or scientific tests.

Here are the four binoculars. The full size one is a a 8x40. The smaller ones are 12x25, 10x25, and the smallest is 8x21. The large black one is my dad's old 10x40 Agfa binoculars. They have to be at least 40 years old, but that's all I had on hand to compare them to. At least it was made in Germany.

O.K., the big 8x40 first. I like it! Its light gathering capability is definitely better than the old Agfa. A huge plus they have over the Agfa is their anti-fog coating. It was pretty cold by the time I got home to try these binoculars out, and the Agfas would steam up from the heat of my body almost immediately, rendering them almost useless. None of the Simmons had that problem.

On the down side, the focusing lever was very tight. It required way too much pressure to adjust. Also, the binoculars came with no neck strap. The leather one you see in the pictures is from the Agfa. It did come with a nylon carrying case, though.

Also, to me the woodland camo treatment seemed kinda half-ass. I mean only a couple parts of the binocular is woodland camo, the rest is just black. But, since I'm not a Marine sniper, I can live with it.

A good bang for the buck. Good level of magnification without being too shakey. I think I'm going to use these a lot. They aren't Steiner's, but for non-critical work they are good enough.

These guys are obviously a lot smaller and easier to pack around. I found the 12x25 to be too hard to hold steady - it is my least favorite of the bunch.

The 10x25 is a good compromise between magnification and steadiness. It was a bit too loose when it came to adjusting the distance between the eyepieces. I also didn't find the extremely narrow nylon neck cord that all three smaller binoculars came with to be comfortable at all. Other than that it was fine.

The 8x21 was very compact and handy. It certainly wasn't as good as it's bigger 8x40 big brother for surveilance, but that's the trade off you pay for small size and weight. I found myself wanting more magnification, but it is still much better for viewing distant objects than the old MK I eyeball.

I'm sure there are much better optics available out there on the market. But, for the money I paid for them - less than $50 for all four! - I'm very satisfied.

Default Re: Simmons Binoculars Mini-Review

Nice review. I bet you bought these at SMKW didn't ya? I just bought a couple Simmons during their sale. They were a great deal.