R.O.P and WA1274 whats wrong?*Found bad cells*

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
Ok Now I have both bulbs at my disposal. I was feeling that my WA1274 may not have been living up to all it could have been driven by 8AA. The beem while bright was not the bright white described to me when I built it (about the same coller as a old AA mini mag). Then today I revved my R.O.P bulbs, start off with 6AA and same thing, Stickey orange. :awman: I finley have to drive them at 10V to get any impressive light output(All 8 AA). I am starting to think that southing may be wrong with my batteries. I am using Energizer 2100ma. The switch in my 2D m@g Host has been rewired to have vary low impedance. So I am not sure what the problem could be or if there is a problem? Aney Input on my ulgley stickey yellow Mag?:thumbsdow

Last edited:

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
Re: R.O.P and WA1274 whats wrong?

Sounds like you may have a duff battery. There is alot of current being drawn from the batterys and if any of your cells are weak the voltage will sag alot. If you can you need to put your batterys under load and then measure the voltage and this will show you if your batterys are any good. If you put a 2A load on each of the cells then they should stay above atleast 1V

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

8 Energizer 2100maH cells would instaflash the ROP bulb in a heartbeat if they were all good.

You can power the ROP-HI bulb on 7 good fully charged and rested cells and one dummy cell and it will be very white and bright.

Bob_G

Enlightened

The 1274 on 7 good batteries is pretty impressive. There are lot of reports of Energizer 2500s having an unusually high self discharge rate, so if you want to get some new batteries, maybe try another brand.

The-David

leeleefocus said:
Sounds like you may have a duff battery. There is alot of current being drawn from the batterys and if any of your cells are weak the voltage will sag alot. If you can you need to put your batterys under load and then measure the voltage and this will show you if your batterys are any good. If you put a 2A load on each of the cells then they should stay above atleast 1V

Ok checked all my batteries (not under load) for Amp's, On a ten amp scale they were all between 1.96 and 2.75. I really don't have any idea how to check them under load for volts… What I did was load the batteries in the carrier and check it with a WA1274 bulb for load. The volts starts at 10.32 and when the bulb is turned on it drops all the way down to 6.13 volts. Ok so that's the problem? Now what replace batterers with CBP1650's or southing like that but what?

thezman

Enlightened

I'm running both of my M@g 74's on Energizer 2500's (7 and a dummy cell) and have no problems at all. And I would venture to guess that more people are using regular Nimh batteries (the kind that are available at Wal Mart, etc) than are using the CPB 1650's. If the Energizers were really that bad for hotwires, there would be a lot more complaints about them being posted on this site.
Sure, the CPB 1650's are better, but my limited experience shows that the Energizers are adequate for the job.

Delvance

Enlightened

Hrmm, i'd probably say it's a dead cell. The ROP on a fixed switch should not be able to withstand 8 AAs at all.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's been reported that the newer CBP1650 cells will fit 4 wide in a unbored D size Mag host.

The-David

WOW Tried booth my ROP H/L and WA1274 with the 6 2500mah Enrgizer's and all I can say is I must have a bad cell in the 2300mah batch from the start. Now I just have to find it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Excellent news. How's the ROP and 1274 look now ? :)

If under load or just after ( as in turn light on for a few minutes then immediately pull the bat pack out), the bad cell may be hotter than the others. Or you can try flash amp testing and see which one is the oddball. Or if you have the equipment, test the discharge of each cell.

The-David

Ok so did sum more testing tonight on the "offending 2100ma cells" and found southing vary interesting. They all test the same under a 4/2 ohm load except for three. Five of the cells tested 1.35v under no load, 1.17v with a 2 ohm load, and 1.02 with 4 ohm load. The other three were 1.37v with no load 1.22v with a 2 ohm load and 1.08v with a 4 ohm load. When compared with my NEW 2500ma cells tests at 1.34v with no load 1.27v with 2 ohm and 1.20v with 4 ohm, only a .14v drop VS a .33v drop. LOL so looks like instead of having one bad cell, it looks more like I only had three good cells… Oh well they seem to still work ok for running the scanner and such. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, glad you sorted it out. Sick yellow is definitely *NOT* a ROP trademark, I would be concerned if it happened to mine, too.