50W HID

johnr

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

New member and I have a question. I have just installed an apexcone 50w hid on my motorcycle. On inspection the bulb has a what looks like a burn mark across the glass about 2mm long and abou .25mm deep does this mean the bulb will burn out quickly ?

Also the bulb is a single filament dipped H4 where would I obtain another in the UK. I think its made by xtec

Thanks

Johnr

Led-Ed

Enlightened
If it is an HID there shouldn't be a filament.
In a metal halide HID there are salts in it that will solidify when the bulb is off and vaporize when the bulb is on.This is normal,nothing to worry about.

jtice

Flashaholic
If the ball part in the middle of the bulb, is turning brownish/red/tan at the bottom,
that is perfectly normal, as Led-Ed said.

johnr

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

Thanks for that, but being a newby I have another question. The ballast seems to be rated at 35w but the lead goes to a second box (small black one) then to the bulb. I bought it as a 50w HID question is can you run a 50w bulb off a 35 w ballast igniter thingy ?

jtice

Flashaholic
The second box may be the igniter.
Some ballasts have the igniter built in, some have it seperate.

ShortArc

Enlightened
It is my understanding that a 35W ballast can not drive an HID bulb to 50W.

A 50W ballast can drive a 35W bulb to 50W at the expense bulb lifespan..

Some bulbs like the Philips DL50 were specifically designed to run at 50W, others like the D2S were not.

johnr

Newly Enlightened
Hi Shortarc

This post seems to have move ! ah well.

I`m a bit dim in this area (pardon the pun) but what would happen if you tried to run a 50w hid off a 35w ballast thingy. Its just that I am confused as the silver box that was supplied with the 50w bulb says 35w on it ???

I have e mailed apexcone and they said that it must be the wrong sticker on the box......... :wtf:

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
johnr said:
Hi Shortarc

I`m a bit dim in this area (pardon the pun) but what would happen if you tried to run a 50w hid off a 35w ballast thingy. Its just that I am confused as the silver box that was supplied with the 50w bulb says 35w on it ???

I have e mailed apexcone and they said that it must be the wrong sticker on the box......... :wtf:

Do you have access to a power supply with voltage and amps displayed. If you do, run it till it warms up maybe 1 minute. Once the amps have settled down, "steady state". Report the exact voltage and amps and I will tell you then if it could be a 50 watts ballast. 50 watts will draw about 50% more than 35 watt.

Last edited:

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
I'm an italian new member (sorry for my bad english! :) )..and I have some question about Philips DL50 bulbs.
First of all, I can use this bulb with a "standard" Hella Gen III Ballast (5DV 007 760-47)?
I'm using it with a standard D2S bulb, but I'm interested to use witha 50w bulb...
The problem is that I think the ballast can't give 50W (@ about 85V) without overheating...can you confirm that? There is anyone that had used, for a long time, a standard ballast with a 50W bulb without problems?
Moreover, there are other manufacturers (GE, Sylvania-Osram, Narva) that produces this bulb (DL50)?
Thank you a lot!

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starflex said:
Hello!
I'm an italian new member (sorry for my bad english! :) )..and I have some question about Philips DL50 bulbs.
First of all, I can use this bulb with a "standard" Hella Gen III Ballast (5DV 007 760-47)?
I'm using it with a standard D2S bulb, but I'm interested to use witha 50w bulb...
The problem is that I think the ballast can't give 50W (@ about 85V) without overheating...can you confirm that? There is anyone that had used, for a long time, a standard ballast with a 50W bulb without problems?
Moreover, there are other manufacturers (GE, Sylvania-Osram, Narva) that produces this bulb (DL50)?
Thank you a lot!

Must have 50 watt ballast to provide 50 watts to the bulb. The 50 watt bulb will not make a difference without the proper ballast. Only Philips currently makes the 50 watt bulbs.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
johnr said:
Hi Shortarc

Sounds like they're jerking you around to me. I'd just send it back and make sure I got one with the proper *sticker*.

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
XeRay said:
Must have 50 watt ballast to provide 50 watts to the bulb. The 50 watt bulb will not make a difference without the proper ballast. Only Philips currently makes the 50 watt bulbs.

Ok, thank you a lot! :)

The seller said that I can mount DL50 in the same ballast of the D2S bulb with great results...:thumbsdow

Well...where I can find this Philips Ballast, working @ 12v (automotive use)?

Thank you! :)

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Starflex said:

Well...where I can find this Philips Ballast, working @ 12v (automotive use)?

Uhmm...sorry, Philips or other manufactureers ballast! :)
Do you have a link, for example?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starflex said:

The seller said that I can mount DL50 in the same ballast of the D2S bulb with great results...:thumbsdow Well...where I can find this Philips Ballast, working @ 12v (automotive use)?

You could use DL-50 but would be under-driven, but with 35 watt ballast, no benefit over standard bulb, it would work though.

What do you want, 35 watt ballast, or other? What bulb do you want to use?

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
XeRay said:
What do you want, 35 watt ballast, or other? What bulb do you want to use?

Well.. I want use the DL50 bulb with the proper ballast (so, with a ballast that can drive it with an output of 50 watt). The ballast MUST work with 12v (with a car battery..)

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starflex said:
Well.. I want use the DL50 bulb with the proper ballast (so, with a ballast that can drive it with an output of 50 watt). The ballast MUST work with 12v (with a car battery..)

What is your application? How many 50 watt ballasts do you want? 12 VDC is no problem.

Starflex

Newly Enlightened
Uhmm.. I want mount it a motorcycle, and now I need only a ballast.
Probably in future -if I found some money, I'm only a student at this time!:broke:- I'll need some ballast (12 volt).
Of course, ballast and igniter (if the igniter is separate).
..why your question? Do you have one of these ballast?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starflex said:
Uhmm.. I want mount it a motorcycle, and now I need only a ballast.
Probably in future -if I found some money, I'm only a student at this time!:broke:- I'll need some ballast (12 volt).
Of course, ballast and igniter (if the igniter is separate).
..why your question? Do you have one of these ballast?

I sent you a private message, you will find a link to find it on the upper right corner of this page.