Looking for opinions

BR549

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide on a new incan and have narrowed it down to 3 - the 13 volt Wolf Eyes, the G&P Scorpion 500, or a Mag85 from Light Edge. The primary use of this light will be for 'enlightement of poachers' once hunting season starts. I have been using a rechargable q-beam but am looking for something a little easier to lug around the woods. My neighbors & I have a problem with folks hunting without permission so a couple of nights a month we are out in the woods making sure there is no poaching. Run time is not that big an issue ( would be fine as long as it's at least 30 min) but reliability, light output, and ease of use are what I need. Also rechargable is a must. I don't really want to spend more than 175.00 and these seem to fit my needs. Am kind of leaning towards getting the Wolf Eyes based on Quickbeam's review and the good reputation of PTS. I know the other two put out more light but am not too sure of the Scorpion bulb ( 20 buck a pop) and I don't know the durability of the Mag 85. Any input would be appreciated

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
You might want to take a look at a Magcharger. It can throw with the best of them, its got a Great price, an easy to use charger that comes with ac&dc plugs, it's smaller than a Mag85, and it can become very bright with the addition of a $5 WA1160 bulb.

I have a G&P Scorpion, nice light but can't really match the Magcharger in throw which is probably what you will be looking for.

I've previously owned a Mag85, VERY bright but it can be a pain to charge all of the AA's.

Never used the Wolfeyes light.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
properly done.. the mag85 will have a 'pack charger'.. very easy to charge.. plug in and wait 'til the light turns green.

I happen to have one id' be willing to part with that has regulated output and an apparently magical reflector (it works nicer than any of it's type i've seen)... the only 'reliability' issue i'm aware of.. is that if (when) you drop it.. since the lamp holder is a universal type.. you will have to re-center the lamp (a 30 second procedure).

Mag85s typically have only about 23-25 min. runtime so that might be a problem.. I'm not familiar with those other lights.. but pretty sure using the runtime vs output relationship.. they won't be nearly as bright.

This particular mag85 will smoke the ones from light edge... with at least 20% more output.. It's basically the same exact light though.. same holder.. etc.. but with a regulation circuit to keep light output constant and preserve the lamp from blowing.. you can read about it by clicking the icon in my signature.

I have a MC with the 1160 upgrade.. it has less than half the output of the mag85.. it's a decent light with a lot longer runtime but it doesn't really 'shine deep'.. you want the mag85 or something more powerful.. unfortunately.. very difficult to get more powerful and more runtime.

-awr

Raybo

Enlightened
BR549 said:
I am trying to decide on a new incan and have narrowed it down to 3 - the 13 volt Wolf Eyes, the G&P Scorpion 500, or a Mag85 from Light Edge. The primary use of this light will be for 'enlightement of poachers' once hunting season starts. I have been using a rechargable q-beam but am looking for something a little easier to lug around the woods. My neighbors & I have a problem with folks hunting without permission so a couple of nights a month we are out in the woods making sure there is no poaching. Run time is not that big an issue ( would be fine as long as it's at least 30 min) but reliability, light output, and ease of use are what I need. Also rechargable is a must. I don't really want to spend more than 175.00 and these seem to fit my needs. Am kind of leaning towards getting the Wolf Eyes based on Quickbeam's review and the good reputation of PTS. I know the other two put out more light but am not too sure of the Scorpion bulb ( 20 buck a pop) and I don't know the durability of the Mag 85. Any input would be appreciated

Mag '85 with a deep fivemega reflector (if you can find one)......it's the only way to go and it is on the cheap.