charging 3.7V cells in a 3.0V charger?

havand

Enlightened
Basically, it goes like this. I have a DSD charger and 2 of Dae's 3.7V rcr123 cells. I also have a Tenergy 3.0V charger and 4 3.0V cells. The DSD charger seems to only charge the cells to 4.07-4.09 volts or so. I want them topped off!

Just for the hell of it, i threw one of the 3.7V cells in the 3.0V charger and the thing took off charging...I sat there with a voltmeter and within a matter of minutes, it went from reading initially at about 4.09 V (charged today) to 4.19V

I checked the results in one of my lights. Before it was pulling something like 0.96A from the batt. Afte it went to 4.19V, it was pulling something like 1.1A from the batts, so its definitly charging them....But is this safe? The 3.7V cells are protected, but will I hurt them?? What about charging them in the DSD and topping them off for a few minutes int he 3.0V Tenergy charger? If i sit there and watch (and measure with a voltmeter), would this be ok?

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: charing 3.7V cells in a 3.0V charger?

Hello Havand,

It could be that your cells have developed higher internal resistance...

The 3 volt cell charger charges to a higher voltage, but if your protection circuit is working properly it should limit the charge. Not generally recommended, but if you keep an eye on it and monitor with a volt meter, you may get away with it...

Tom