9v SafeLight SuperBright hints & Tips.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a couple of mine.

Actually keep the torch on it's side, switch side uppermost, on the carpet in the bedroom, gentle beam illuminates the carpet / floor, more easily seen than pointing straight upwards.
Where you won't stand on it, perhaps just under the bed.

At head height, again, place the torch on its' side, switch uppermost. Beam shines into eyes.

On table, place as above, on side, on white paper.

If torch placed upright, position against wall, preferably light coloured, with switch to front, so that when you pick it up, switch falls under thumb.

The Safe-Light Companion has a much wider spread of NightGlow, due to it's clear head, and does shine on ceiling quite effectively.

Tape a small coin, suitable for opening the battery compartment of the Superbright, to the spare 9v PP3 battery you always have with you !!

Similarly, for the screw fixing Companion, have a small screwdriver type blade, or even small screwdriver, taped to spare 9v battery. I would also, daft as it may seem, have a keychain torch attached or carried with a Companion, cos changing the battery in the dark is difficult.

And your hints & tips are :

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened
Simple, but effective ideas you have, i like it. It's something that can easily be overlooked especially having the right size coin available when you need to open the battery cover.

watt4

Enlightened
nice tips.

I sit my palight survival light on the bedroom chest, about six inches from the wall, pointed along the wall (at an angle). in the dark this makes a nice blob of light on the wall, so I can easily find the flashlight

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
I've had my blue led Palight Survival sitting upright in one of those Hallmark candle holders, shining on the ceiling for the last 6+months. To keep dust off of it, I have a clear ziploc type bag over it all. The bag refracts some of the light and provides enough light to indicate where the torch/light is.

I also have other Palight products around the house, at work, and in the car. I plan on having a Survival in my travel backpack and a Pak-lite in the carry-on for travels (emergencies).

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
So these Pal lights are pretty good, eh?

How do they compare in output rather than runtime to the old standards, ARC AAA-P, INOXA X1 (old and new), River Rock 2AA, L1P etc. Who's got some real world test results??:popcorn:

They do look possible for gifts, the Festive season approaches fast!

Be lucky...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyctophiliac said:
So these Pal lights are pretty good, eh?

How do they compare in output rather than runtime to the old standards,L1P .
They do look possible for gifts, the Festive season approaches fast!

Be lucky...

On my light meter, L1P EV=12.0, RT=2.8 hours

Safelight Companion EV=9.5 (Spot beam), RT=40 hours

Safelight Superbright EV=8.0 (Wide beam), RT=20 hours

Safelight has very dim night-glow, so you can find it in dark.

Ideal pressies.

It's not an either / or choice, it's an "I'll take both" please.

The lower reading for the Superbright is because the beam is much wider than the spot beam of the Companion.

I'd actually recommend you get one of each, to try out before Christmas.

thunderlight

Enlightened
After reading some earlier posts and determining that it was fairly easy to do, I put the flat lens from my Superbright on my Elite and put the refracting lens from my Elite on my Superbright and I prefer this arrangement. I feel that the Superbright has sufficient spill for my purposes with the lens and good throw. The Elite loses throw, but the narrow throw was not all that useful in any case. As I stated this idea certainly did not originate with me -- just emphasizing that I like this arrangement. I would like to see Palights produce an Elite with a more powerful LED such as that in the Superbright. I like the pocketability of the Elite and/or Survivor.

I still think the Companion is the best compromise in terms of design.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I keep one of mine behind my glasses on my nightstand. This way I never have a problem finding my glasses at night. I have another next to my Inova XO3 so I can find a high power flashlight in the dark. Great suggestions above, especially the coin one.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is enough output in night mode, to illuminate a ping-pong ball placed on top of the lens ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharpdogs said:
I keep one of mine behind my glasses on my nightstand. This way I never have a problem finding my glasses at night. I have another next to my Inova XO3 so I can find a high power flashlight in the dark. Great suggestions above, especially the coin one.

Thanks. Appreciate that.

I keep my glasses, opened, on top of a quarter folded white hanky, just enough light in bedroom at night, without a Safelight, to see where the hanky is, therefore the glasses.

And I alway put my hand gently downwards vertically, never sideways, same for cups of tea, leaving kitchen at night.

Latest posts