Buying 9V lithium batteries at Brick and Mortar Stores

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys do you know if the lithium 9V batteries are available at Walmart or any other common US brick and mortar store besides Radio Shack? Radio Shack wants $10.99 for one, yikes! I was thinking they were like $6 or $7 dollars.

LNL40

Newly Enlightened
I've seen them online for $5 to $6 but never seen them on the self anywhere.

Kevin

watt4

Enlightened
last one I saw in a store was at an ace hardware store. I think it was labeled as a smoke alarm battery. and it was about $10.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured as well that it wouldn't be worth buying online as with shipping, I wouldn't save much so sucked it up and bought the $10.99 Radio Shack model. It is a brand called "Ultralife" and they have their own website, www.ultralifebatteries.com. I have never heard of that brand, is it part of Eveready? It is much more rugged then the Duracell alkaline I am comparing it with including solid metal casing that encompasses the complete battery including the bottom as well.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Serious question, what is the point of a lithium 9V battery?

9V batteries are usually for low drain applications, so why would you need a lithium one?

The common answer would probably be for long term reliability, but a "Heavy Duty" carbon zinc battery will fit the bill just as well and you can get a couple for $.99 at Big Lots.

h_nu

Enlightened
I have one or two Ultralife batteries just for the shelf life. I can use them with my 9V Pak-Lite from 9voltlight.com.

The first Ultralife batteries I saw had the Kodak logo and said made for Kodak in Newark NJ on the side. The current versions don't say Kodak but are made in Newark. Maybe Kodak sold their battery business.

Illum

Flashaholic
i have bought six of those so far...every single one was brand new, never been used, and with an expiration date long after I bought it...$10.99:ohgeez:each

every single one registered somewhere between 0.8-1.4V on my multimeter, aka DOA:mad:...I don't understand what the deal is, but im not buying it again.:rant:
and to check my multimeter, i borrowed my dads...registered between 0.915V and 1.345V [Im reading a sticky off my table here ;) , i cant remember numbers that long, and the sticky is for me to know what to ask for when I take my multimeter in for repair.]
I remember installing the 3 I first bought in our smoke dectectors... immediately after installation, all three begin their "low battery cricket chirps"

BTW, i sent them back to ACE hardware when te first 3 didnt work and traded for 3 more...well those are @#$% dead also.:scowl:

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's crazy about dead Lithium 9V.. the point of course.. is that for seriously low drain devices.. they last forever! I've used them in the likes of remote controls and had them last the better part of a decade.. or in a tool that i use like 2x/year.. it's the perfect power plant (like a stud finder).

I've used them once in a while in my fluke but i use that way too much and though they last 2-3x as long as alkaline.. they cost more than 2-3x as much (i'm going to be switching to LION for that solution soon).

-awr

mmace1

Enlightened
watt4 said:
last one I saw in a store was at an ace hardware store. I think it was labeled as a smoke alarm battery. and it was about $10.

I saw the exact same thing, though I thought it was less than $10 at my local Ace.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lowes and home depot might be the better place. Check near the smoke detectors.

Some brick and morters want rediculous prices for Alkaline 9v too.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
I order these like 6 at a time from ebay, and I use them in outside applications. For instance, I have one in my remote temperature sensor/sender (so, I can record down into negative temps), and I have one in my outside/wireless garage door opener. Both devices are low-drain, and because they are outside, can be affected by winter weather. The temp sensor/sender unit is especially vulnerable, and I have seen temps at -5F, which wouldn't happen with alkalines, as they would freeze first.

Mark_Paulus

Enlightened
geepondy said:
Mark, what do you pay for them on Ebay when ordering six at a time?

Looking back through my mail archives, I see that I ordered some in December 2005 for $5.99/ea, with shipping @ $1.50 / $0.30/ea extra.

I search for "L522". I see a guy has 12/$33, which makes them less than $3/ea. Could get them, and then re-sell the extras at that price.