self-discharge rate of Li-ion 18650?

xiaowenzu

Banned
Hi, I've been using SUREFIRE cr123's in my U2 for quite a while now, and being non-rechargables.... they're naturally excellent at retaining their capacity (up to 80% when stored for 10 years), they can be expensive to use regularly.

My question is, what if I use a rechargable, like Sanyo's 2600mah, 18650 batts in my U2... and leave it in the glove box for about 3 months (typical of me), can I still expect it to perform at 80% of it's capacity when I take it out of the glove box for the first use?:huh2:

I hope it so, coz I'd really want to get Li-ions because of the cheap price in long run, but I want to be able to use it after a long period of abandonment too. heh :dedhorse:

Last edited:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
Yes, Li-Ion have good charge retention. I could probably dig up the link if you need it - Li-Ion losses are 4 to 5% the first month and 1 to 2 % thereafter. So worse case, 27% loss after one year (73% remainig). Even the best Nicad and Nimh are pretty much dead after 90 days.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Thanks for the reply guys! I had thought Li-ion had good charge retention, but I didn't know it was THIS GOOD! wooo!! hehe :sold: Compared to the Eneloop Nimh AA, which loses about 2% of charge per month, it's right up there with the lowest self discharge batts! I'm more inclined to use 18650 batts because I like the size more than AA. hehe :dedhorse:

Last edited:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
xiaowenzu said:
Thanks for the reply girls!

Nice way of saying thanks.:thinking:

I am going to have some LG 2600 mah 18650's tested for runtime and output in the U2 very soon, so stay tuned for the results.

I have cycled them 2 times so far and they seem to work great and last a long time. No scientific data yet though. I'll leave that up to chevrofreak.:)

xiaowenzu

Banned
oops, I had no idea why I typed it!! It must be late. lol Erm.. I've edited now, sorry if I offended anyone. :dedhorse:

P.s I look forward to your test results on those batts, from what I've read they're quite spiffy performers and I wouldn't mind getting some of them for my U2 soon. I figure, I'd use the rechargables for 'mucking around', so as to save operating costs.
however if I want to store my U2 in the glovebox/or after I finish playing with them, I'd put in surefires CR123's. :)

hehe *goes to play with his U2 in the bathtub* hehe :dedhorse: