18650 break in help (if even needed)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got 2x2400 18650's and they're full charged still sitting in the DSD right now.

Can you please recommend how I should handle break in? Also, not to sound silly, what should I really look out for with unprotected cells? I read the U2 won't drop it into the unsafe low range but could my charger put it over? I use the DSD from lighthound.

Thank you in advance!!!!

Ken

InfidelCastro

Banned
I understand the DSD won't recharge batteries that are too low. I have one, but have only used it with RCR123's as of yet.

I really wish I could help you with your concern of overdraining them, but I don't know what to tell you. That's a concern of mine also, which is why I don't buy unprotected lithium ion batteries.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for responding!!!

I wasn't too concerned as I read the U2 won't let it drop down that low (but the more I think about it...it's really fingers crossed lol)

I also read that someone "cycled" the battery 3 times to make sure it had a full capacity charge... Was hoping to get some light on the subject :lolsign:

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion cells do not need to be broken in, full capacity is available from the start. Although the DSD charger probably wouldn't overcharge your cells, its best not to leave them in the charger after the charge is complete.

hburner

Enlightened
All of my 18650s have had great service from when they were new. In other words they gave me the same runtime new as when they had 12 cycles on them. As far as overdraining them, after you use them a few times and you notice your lite dimming it is best to shut it off and charge them then. The way that I got used to them was when I noticed dimming setting in I would check the cells with a Multimeter and see what the voltage was, usually it read about 3.8v or so, so I would put them back in the light for another 20 min or so and then they would read about 3.6 or 3.5v and then I would recharge them.

The more you use them and get familair to the brightness levels with the eye the more comfortable you will become using them.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks,

thank you for the advice!!!!

I just have one more issue... I just took them of the charger.. inserted them in the U2 and it won't turn on.

Any suggestions??

Many thanks again!!!!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just played around with it and it still doens't work.

Does anyone know if I need a longer sprint or something?

:O) I always find a way to make it difficult LOL

Anders

Enlightened
Hello Manzerick.

Your 18650, is it button tops on them or are they flat ones?
If they are flat you have two choises, use spacers or make the spring a little bit longer in the business end. Spacers will work but nothing i recommend cause they can slip away from the cell and cause a short circuit.

Otherwise i haven't got a clue.

hburner

Enlightened
Do you have any way of checking the voltage of the cell? If so, see what it reads.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have to stretch the spring a bit, but do it a little at a time, because it won't take much.

hburner

Enlightened
Yes those are great cells, they are what I use also. Do you have any of the magnets to use as spacers?

This is what I have to do on some of my lights.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I did. Will using a magnet be ok? I read on here about using rare earth magnets..

Has anyone used it successfully?

Many Thanks again!!!

hburner said:
Yes those are great cells, they are what I use also. Do you have any of the magnets to use as spacers?

This is what I have to do on some of my lights.

hburner

Enlightened
yes. i do it all of the time. if i have to use more than 3 magnets i will rap them in electrical tape so if they do make contact to anything there is no fireworks.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You everyone!!!

I stretched the spring in the head and it worked!!!!

You folks are the best!!!!

:)

I'm going to a corn maze in western mass and the 18650 (two for good meaure) will make the trip!!!