Converter query.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I am planning a mod that will run a Lux 3 from a single CR123. I want to add a bit of functionality to it along the lines of the flupic board, but if i understand correctly this is only a buck converter. Is there a boost converter that has similar features (two or more adjustable preset levels being the main thing i am after)? It also needs to be available on a circular board 17mm dia.
marc

havand

Enlightened
I don't have an answer for you. Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one that can't find what they need. If it helps, I put a flupic in one of my LR5 Luxogens (there is a review around about them) and it seems about as bright on burst as it came stock (compared directly to a stock one). So, it is no slouch. Just won't boost a lux 3 up to 5 watts :)

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
A minipro + flupig perhaps? I'm still struggling with my mod (just not enough time in the day) but others have had better luck. The flupig is essentially a flupic without an LDO (?). It's designed to be used with a converter complements its boost/buck function with the features of a flupic - not all converters are suitable though. A search for flupig in "custom & modified" will turn up some info.

Last edited:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the FluPig, it sounds just right. Only problem is finding the right converter. From what i have read the minipro only seems capable of running the lux 3 at about 700 mA, which effectively negates the burst function on the flupig. Is there another converter out there that will be able to push it to 1200 mA if necessary?

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, the latest converter I am working on will only drive a LUX III at around 550ma on primaries and around 800ma on RCR123s. It has two to three levels fully current regulated but not user selectable. It will be fixed by me. If you use CR123s, you get two levels and if you use RCR123s, you get three. Here is how it goes.

level 1 - 150ma
level 2 - 550ma
level 3 - lvl 1 + lvl 2 = 700ma

If you use CR123s, then level 3 will also be maxed out at around 550ma. This is because CR123s can't really supply that much current without sagging in voltage too much.

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
Thanks for getting back to me Goldserve. It looks like i will have to settle on a Minipro/FluPig combination. Are they still available? I dont have any money right now as my car is in the garage being fixed but i will probably be in touch in a few weeks.
Marc