a new high output dpss laser torch? has anyone tried...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinesis

Banned
The new torch style laser pointers from www.leadtechsolutions.biz ? They used to sell them on eBay apparently and have solid feedback, apparently he says he's not allowed to sell them there anymore. The lasers come in the most popular power outputs up to 150mW and are powered by CR123A camera batteries.

Just thought the community would like to look into this new product offering, it's also being sold on eBay by competitors. As far as I know and have seen - he is the original seller, his feedback goes back for a few months now.

Last edited:

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Re: has anyone tried...

Hi kinesis,
I did get to check one out a few weeks ago.
It was sent to me for power testing from a not-so-happy Ebay purchaser.
The seller was not leadtechsolutions.

In my opinion it's the kind of laser that quickly gives our hobby and Ebay both a bad name and would steer clear of them.

1. The CR-123 & CR-2 cells cannot the power a true 150mW laser needs for more than couple of minutes.

2. This laser has the feel of real cheapness, it is only ~ 3 inches long and has very little weight or the mass needed to remove heat from a high powered laser.

3. The one I examined had very bad divergence (spot diameter of ~1cm at 12ft.), probably do in part to what seemed like plastic lens (did not confirm this though as I did'nt get to take it apart or touch the lens).

4. The 1st time or two that it is turned on with a new battery, it reported almost 280mW on my lasercheck meter. I then tried it on my fieldmaster meter and it measured 17mW. Putting a Melles Griot IR blocking filter in front of the leadtechsolutions or whatever this model really is, dropped the output to ~10mW and conversely using a notch filter that blocks 532nm resulted in 7mW reading on the fieldmaster.

5. The output only drops from there and quickly over the course of a minute or two.
6. This laser emits a damgerous level of IR.

Kinesis, I would stay away from these if I were you. The guy who sent his to me is still fighting for a refund with his credit card company, I hope my testing helps him in getting his refund.

Take Care
Jack

kinesis

Banned
wow, did the laser lenses get mis aligned during shipment or something? why have other people given the guy good feedback? If my laser had a bad divergance first thing I would do is shake it gently to hear if theres any rattling of loose lenses inside - which would cause a bad divergence - would it not? and if the lenses are misaligned on the unit you tested - then how are your test results conclusive?

Also theres several other people selling these on eBay, also with good feedback. One apparently calls themself "GLOWTORCH". What can you say about this? I don't see any negative feedback regarding bad divergance. Did you check the lenses to see if they were loose?
1. The CR-123 & CR-2 cells cannot the power a true 150mW laser needs for more than couple of minutes.
- and two alkaline C cells can(your products)? as far as I'm concerned, 1 CR123A or CR2 battery has more power - and at a high drain capacity, than any alkaline "C" cell. do they not?

Last edited:

wells05

Newly Enlightened
Feedback isn't the most reliable source when ot comes to lasers. Alot of people buy lasers off eBay because they look cool, and don't really care about anything else. They get the green beam they are after, don't have anything to compare with or measure output, so all seems well - leave + feedback. Unfortunately for them, most of these high power lasers on eBay emit high levels of dangerous IR (giving the uneducated laser buyer the illusion of higher power - which it is, but it's IR, not 532nm). People are a little hesitant about giving negative feedback for fear of receiving a negative in return.

If you want to follow up, ask the seller some questions and see what the answers returned to you are. Ask about what they use to measure output - specific name of the meter. Ask if they test for IR output, and how they do so. And ask about their return policy. Tell them you are going to have the laser tested, and if it fails to be what they state, you will want a refund. Then send it to Jack or another CPF'er who has the ability and is willing to test it if you decide to purchace.

Just remember that eBay is a crap shoot at best when it comes to high powered lasers. I personally would stay away and buy from a reputable dealer.

EDIT:
I just saw another post by you. Are YOU selling these units?

Last edited:

bootleg2go

Enlightened
wells05 said:
Feedback isn't the most reliable source when ot comes to lasers. Alot of people buy lasers off eBay because they look cool, and don't really care about anything else. They get the green beam they are after, don't have anything to compare with or measure output, so all seems well - leave + feedback. Unfortunately for them, most of these high power lasers on eBay emit high levels of dangerous IR (giving the uneducated laser buyer the illusion of higher power - which it is, but it's IR, not 532nm). People are a little hesitant about giving negative feedback for fear of receiving a negative in return.

If you want to follow up, ask the seller some questions and see what the answers returned to you are. Ask about what they use to measure output - specific name of the meter. Ask if they test for IR output, and how they do so. And ask about their return policy. Tell them you are going to have the laser tested, and if it fails to be what they state, you will want a refund. Then send it to Jack or another CPF'er who has the ability and is willing to test it if you decide to purchace.

Just remember that eBay is a crap shoot at best when it comes to high powered lasers. I personally would stay away and buy from a reputable dealer.

EDIT:
I just saw another post by you. Are YOU selling these units?

Hi Kinesis,
Like what Wells05 said,
For the most part, the people buying these are not laser savvy at all and if it puts out green light they are happy. (they don't know they are getting an IR flashlight for a huge price) They maybe do a search and see what the cost of a real 200mW laser is and think they got a great deal. It's the buyers who know what to expect from an 100-200mW laser and what the beam quality should be that are the unhappy minority.

No, it didn't rattle at all, it was in one piece. In fact you could probably drop one of these on the floor and not hurt it too bad because it just doesn't have the mass to cause itself too much damage.
The alignment or what I would just call bad divergence do to shoddy design and (maybe plastic lens), has nothing to do with the IR that these lasers emit.

I would just buy a different type altogether if I were you, that used either AA, C cell batteries. A single CR-2 or CR-123 is not going to be able to power a real 100 or 150mW laser for more than a minute.

Jack

kinesis

Banned
one "C" battery is 1.5v.. two is 3.0v.. Your units claim to be powered by two "C" size alkaline batteries. 3.0v is the same as a single CR cell. can you explain any differently? also CR cells have high mAh capacity.

Also, many people are selling these, not just one - check eBay.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
No, CR cells have nowhere near the capacity of a C cell. Thus they cannot provide as much amperage under the same load.

kinesis

Banned
alright guys ill be honest, i bought one of these. It's too late to back out and it's already on it's way to me. I am hoping I didnt get a bad deal - thats why I am asking if anyone else has tried one.

Well, in good hopes that the product turns out well, I'll post my feedback here afterwards.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
bootleg2go said:
...For the most part, the people buying these are not laser savvy at all and if it puts out green light they are happy...
I bought a "50mW" green laser pointer on Ebay, left (+) feedback for it, and *THEN*, not too far later, found it to be a "tabby-thrashed stool specimen maternal parent humper" (toylet words replaced with innocous ones - the correct acronym is PWPOSMF).

dr_lava

Enlightened
kinesis said:
alright guys ill be honest, i bought one of these. It's too late to back out and it's already on it's way to me. I am hoping I didnt get a bad deal - thats why I am asking if anyone else has tried one.

Well, in good hopes that the product turns out well, I'll post my feedback here afterwards.

Please tell me you didn't buy one from that ugly geocities page... if so, best of luck to you, you'll learn. And be careful of the excessive and dangerous invisible radiation that will come out of your laser.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'm missing something here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133633

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133631

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/133141

post_old.gif
Today, 10:57 AM
kinesis
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1599914", true);
Enlightened

icon1.gif
NEW 80-150mW GREEN DPSS CR123A Laser torch
I am the original seller of these high powered lasers.