AE PL 24 vs HIDXtra 24

pyro

Enlightened
Look here and use the search for more info.
Conclusion: The AE Lights are better but more expensive

electrothump

Enlightened
I didn't see the HIDXtra 24 in that series. Here is a link to the HIDXtra 24: http://www.hidxtra.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30 The site has a comparison chart on the X and the Powerlight. The Xtra is showing better stats on that page. I was hoping someone on these forums may have had a chance to compare to two side by side. There are always stats, and then there is reality. Thanks pyro.

DN

NAW

Enlightened
Those HIDXtra guys sound like they don't know nothing about the AE Powerlight.

1) On there website it says the AE has a runtime of 100 minutes. No, not true I got 127 minutes with my AE.:thumbsdow

2) They say there HIDXtra is non-slipp while saying the AE is slippery to hold.:wtf: kind of statement is that?

3) Its getting pretty late here so I'll stop.

I'd think twice to send that kind of money to a company that likes to lie about there own product and other products as well.

Last edited:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi electrothump,
The Brightstar P1 is the HID 24W FL in the 24W link above and you can clearly see that the PowerLight™ is noticeably brighter than the brightstar P1. What I can't figure out is why Brightstar/HIDextra is advertising their light as 25% brighter than the PowerLight™ but its not in the 24W shoot out. :shakehead
Some of the other comparisons on HIDextra's website are bogus as well and I can prove it. :crackup:

For example: the HID 24W FL has 3 filters and they say PowerLight™ has one (1). Check this out :grin2: AE PowerLight™ filters
The PowerLight™ filters slip on and are secure – a nice feature when your lights been running and is a little hot. User friendly, I would say yes. To change the brightstrech filter I think you have to unscrew the brightstar bezel to install their three filters. You better have gloves if it's been running for awhile. Now who's filter is user friendly??? HIDextra/Brightstrech says theirs is. :crackup:

Another example would be – they say the PL24 is slippery, Oh ya :crackup:
PL24 Grip.jpg

Cheers!

electrothump

Enlightened
Hmmmm, yep, looks like you guys are right. I thought the two lights looked very similar. With that thought in mind, I'm now leaning back towards my original pick, , the X990. It's only a few more bucks than the AE. I like the color of light from the AE much better, and I like the weight of the AE. But, dollar for dollar the X990 seems to really kick out some light, and that is what I'm really after. I may have to make my final decision the same way they make decisions in the White House, , , flip a coin. Thanks to all that replied.

Dave

electrothump

Enlightened
That amondotech light rocks. It's just a big rascal. I work on tower clocks, big clocks like on courthouse, churches etc. . During time change (for daylight saving time), for about a week, we end up working thru the night just to try and stay caught up. We change the time on over thirty court houses in this state alone. Most of the time seeing the dials (faces), is no problem, but last spring in a couple counties there was a very dense fog. I have a bulky 3 M Vector spot, but it wouldn't cut the fog good enough for us to see the dials. It did a good job of lighting up the fog though. Plus the run time on that one isn't many minutes, and sometimes we need more time to get the job done. I'm guessing the amondotech light would do a fine job of cutting thru the fog. The size of the thing is a little much for what we do. I was really wanting one of the 24 watt jobs because of the size and weight. But for the bucks, I now think the X990 is gonna be the way to go. Plus the color of the light from the 990 may be a little better for cutting thru the fog. I like the color of the smaller 24 watt lights better. But, sometimes ya just gotta go with what you think is best.

Dave

electrothump

Enlightened
fleegs said:
What do you think of these compared to the Amondotech Illuminator?

rob

Rob, do you have one of the Amondotech Illuminators? If you do, what kind of run time do you get out of it?

Thanks,
Dave

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
electrothump said:
Hmmmm, yep, looks like you guys are right. I thought the two lights looked very similar. With that thought in mind, I'm now leaning back towards my original pick, , the X990. It's only a few more bucks than the AE. I like the color of light from the AE much better, and I like the weight of the AE. But, dollar for dollar the X990 seems to really kick out some light, and that is what I'm really after. I may have to make my final decision the same way they make decisions in the White House, , , flip a coin. Thanks to all that replied.

Dave

The X990 is a better light than the AE both in brightness and in quality. I don't own both but know someone who does and is an excellent resource.

You may want to know the X990 is coming out with some updates in the near future.. LiIon for one and some others not yet confirmed.

but the present X990 will drown the AE.
At present the X990 carries an NiMh battery.

fleegs

Enlightened
electrothump said:
Rob, do you have one of the Amondotech Illuminators? If you do, what kind of run time do you get out of it?

Thanks,
Dave

I do have one but I only had it for a week and not had a chance to run it long. I need to go out of my neighborhood so I do not bother anyone. So far I have used it around 15 minutes for the longest run. I know have read many posts that say the runtime is around 1 hour. More than I need. Considering I don't need it at all. Everyone I show it too asks, "So what do you need it for?" I say I don't need it but isn't it cool? They all agree.

Wow working on clocks. Sounds interesting.

rob

pyro

Enlightened
windstrings said:
The X990 is a better light than the AE both in brightness and in quality.

I wouldn't second that.

First, they are two different classes, brightness and size wise.
Sure the X990 is (much) brighter, but the two hour runtime of the PL24 is
nothing to sneeze at.
Beam quality is not great on the MC, not in flood and not in spot mode.
PL is better, but still leaves something to desire if used at distances <40m
and when white wall hunting. Not a SureFire after all.

And reliability? A friend of mine has the X990, both of the batteries died
within a month, and neither dealer nor manufacturer wanted to replace them.
And the X990's plastic casing feels just cheap and fragile compared against the rubber armored aluminium housing on the Powerlight.

We used them ALOT, and i don't have a real favourite.
Then comes the even smaller Microfire K200R and confuses me even more :)

But the Maxabeam is also a nice tool, but really too expensive and heavy,
at least with the 7Ah nicad dinosaur pack.

Overall the AE PL24 seems to be a good compromise IMO.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, they are two different classes, brightness and size wise.
Sure the X990 is (much) brighter, but the two hour runtime of the PL24 is
nothing to sneeze at.
True, the main weakness of the X990 is the battery.. but they do give you two. But the very nature of NiMh is inferior to LiIon for this application.
The real quality of the X990 is in the Aluminum head.. the reflector is superb with excellent reflection from its 5 inch head so that it barely even gets warm.
It also has a very nice beam.. although I wish it would spot down even tighter like the Xevision to 1 degree or so.

I don't like the fact that if you set it down in the "flashlight" position "where the elbow is placed straight out", the head can easily get scratched since there are no legs etc to protect it.
They are getting ready to come out with the LiIon which will be a nice improvement and make it an awesome light for the price. The runtime may be going up too.

And reliability? A friend of mine has the X990, both of the batteries died
within a month, and neither dealer nor manufacturer wanted to replace them.
I heard that from someone too..but it took a year.

Overall the AE PL24 seems to be a good compromise IMO.
A very nice light.. but I am spoiled with the brightness of the 35 watt now.

I also heard the ballast in the AE may need work.. sometimes it takes several attempts to get it to come on.
that may not be true, but do some checking.....