Enclosing a generator for sound dampening

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to build some sort of enclosure for my generator, is there any material I should look for that will withstand bad weather?
This will be used in an isolated campsite to provide power, I just want to keep the generator close to the camper and dampen the sound as much as possible. I was thinking even a wall of a good sound barrier would be OK, 3 walls would be better.
Thanks!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
A four walled enclosure to direct the sound upward works pretty well. Use door hinges to connect the edges so you can fold it flat, or knock the pins out and pack it down tight, or a combination of the two. Just make sure it's big enough for proper air flow. The water-bucket muffler works pretty well. On a friend's generator I installed an automotive muffler and welded a plate to the top of the muffler, worked a treat for keeping coffee warm. :)

:buddies:

Brock

Flashaholic
Heat is a big issue, in you try to wall it off make sure you have lot's of ventilation. I have tried many things, built and enclosed space in a garage with a big fan and routed the exhaust (1.5 inch steel) 4 feet underground venting up through an old 55 gallon steel drum filled with gravel. It worked OK.

I tell you though, get a Honda EU1000i or EU2000i and be done with it. Much more quiet, way easier to work on, cheaper in the long run (fuel wise) and easy to lock up or move.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at the Honda 2000i, it is quite spectacular. However, I bought this noisy little thing for use in 2 weekends per year. I will buy the Honda eventually.
Any particular material or combination of materials for the enclosure?
How do you hook up to the exhaust for the bucket idea?

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the walls, you can use 2x4 steel studs and insulate it with rock wool. Rock wool is fire rated and also absorbs sound much better than fiber bat insulation. Just an idea.

Makarov

Enlightened
Brock said:
Heat is a big issue, in you try to wall it off make sure you have lot's of ventilation. I have tried many things, built and enclosed space in a garage with a big fan and routed the exhaust
My dad something like that in the family cabin, built a box and lined it with Rockwool plates, then made 2 holes in the wall, one for a fan and one for the exhaust. worked great, and not too much heat buildup.

Illum

Flashaholic
Lasernerd said:
Run the exhaust into a bucket of water

might have trouble starting the beast tho....backpressure wont do you much good on startups:ohgeez:

Brock said:
Heat is a big issue, in you try to wall it off make sure you have lot's of ventilation. I have tried many things, built and enclosed space in a garage with a big fan and routed the exhaust (1.5 inch steel) 4 feet underground venting up through an old 55 gallon steel drum filled with gravel. It worked OK.

I tell you though, get a Honda EU1000i or EU2000i and be done with it. Much more quiet, way easier to work on, cheaper in the long run (fuel wise) and easy to lock up or move.

Honda EU series are more expensive in terms of dollars per watt, but i've heard alot about the low noise level.:grin2:

I suppose you can built a small compartment to fit everything in....vent the exhaust out somewhere to a bucket and wire a RV ceiling [enclosed] ventilation fan backwards to the 12V output on the generators power panel for the air intake.
About the steel panels....um...any rigid serface has the ability to vibrate and thats more noise....preferably use wood over metal.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
a wood box with a soft open cell foam facing inward should help. put a lttle extra foam or rubber under the feet of the generator to de-couple it from the box floor, if there is one; better to just make three (or four) walls held with door hinges so it's collapsible. good idea to vent sound up, or away from you..

or how about a large foam cooler, in a pinch?

DUQ where does one actually obtain rock wool? I looked everywhere when I was builing my house and couldn't find any.. (I know, rock sheep, right? ;) )

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps, just rent a Honda or equivalent generator for the 1 or 2 weekends a year for now (don't know the rental price for a weekend).

It would be heck of a lot easier (and possibly cheaper) than building and hauling around a sound shield that probably will not work as well (and depending on the generator, you may save money on gas too).

-Bill

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
The few times I did the water bucket trick, I never had any problems starting the generator with the exhaust under water. It's a 5 gallon bucket, not a 50ft deep swimming pool. Flexible exhaust pipe and clamps are available at any decent auto parts store. If your generator has a large bolt-on muffler(very likely), you might have to switch to a smaller round pipe-thread muffler so that the flexible exhaust pipe can fit over the muffler and be clamped in place; not hard to do. You can run the flex pipe into a bucket of water or a larger automotive muffler. You won't want to run the generator with just the round muffler. It won't hurt anything, but it'll be noisier than the larger muffler you're used to.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
*IF* you can find where to buy the darned thing! I looked for an Auragen for a couple weeks and had all my phonecalls and emails ignored or leading me in a circle. If it's that difficult to buy it in the first place, how hard is it going to be to get service or warranty work later on? No thanks.

P.S. I've read nothing but good reviews about the Auragen from those who have managed to actually buy one.

cy

Flashaholic
I'm sure the arugen works real well and all that... but I fail to see why?

normally you would want to use the smallest possible genset that will meet your high peak start demands.

so why would you want to run a motor the size in a car?
not to mention added complexity for that solution.

the above water solution, will only take care of exhaust noise. don't forget to factor in engine noise in general. overhead valve motors are generally quieter overall.

there's several inexpensive chinese solutions available. Pet boys auto store had an overvalve genset 2,500 watts 3,200 peak for aprox. $250 new. not a honda, quality wise, but for use 2-3 times a year...

for RV use go with a top quality unit like Honda or Yamaha.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedTheLed said:
DUQ where does one actually obtain rock wool? I looked everywhere when I was builing my house and couldn't find any.. (I know, rock sheep, right? ;) )

"rock wool" is a general term used when refering to engineered fiber material. It's manufactured in North America by ROXUL, which is part of Rockwool Int. www.roxul.com

"No sheep were harmed in the manufacturing of this product."

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 5000 watt generator that I usually bring with me, to the tune of about 300 lbs, but I recently bought an offshore 1200 watt model for this trip. The biggest thing I run is the coffee maker in the morning at about 1200 watts..
I spent the day looking at the Honda models, 1000i and 2000i, and to say the least I am impressed. The salesman took me to the back room rambling on about how quiet and reliable they are, as I grew bored listening to him I asked if he could show me one running.. He said yes, "it's right there at our feet". This little thing purring away was so beautiful.. $1000 though, that is a lot of dough for a weekend or two.. Besides that, I could have the 2000i for a mere $400 more. This will put a hell of a dent in my M6 budget..
I will stand my ground and see if I can whip something up to deaden the sound this year for the fishing tourney, and afterwords I will look more seriously at that wonderful little Honda.
Last year I put a borrowed little generator in a hole left by a fallen tree on the riverbank, it worked well, unless you were on the river.