Surefire U2 ULTRA / Dust inside the relector..

jboydjr

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post since registering. I purchased a Surefire U2 Ultra and noticed dust particles inside the reflector housing. I know they probably don't manufacture the lights in clean rooms, but is this normal, or am I being obsessive? There also appears to be a tiny spot on the silver reflector where(even when the light is off) there seems to be a touch of the silver material missing. Now mind you...this is the size of a pinhead, but, nonetheless, for a $300 light.....

I would truly appreciate any response. I am set up to receive email responses, too, which would be great if you had the time.

Thanks,

Jim

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! I guess you are already fully initiated if you have spent $300 on a flashlight!

I would guess most SF's coming off the assembly line are about 98% perfect, meaning there might be a slight machining flaw, donut beam, finicky switch, or dust under the window, but considering how many production steps this light goes through to reach completion, most things are done very well. The U2 has a history of some of these more glaring end-user annoyances, but SF also has been civil enough to correct the problem under their warranty service (despite CPF neuroticism). If the imperfection and dust is not something you can live with, give SF customer service a call.

Last edited:

jboydjr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Yes...I'm a bonafide "flashaholic." It does bug me a little, but I am so darn obsessive about "perfection," when, in reality there is no such thing, that I'm going to try to live with it for a few weeks. Because of the information that you provided, of course, I was able to make this decision.

I really appreciate your welcome to the forum, and also for taking the time to respond with so much good information.
Sincerely,

Jim