• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WITHDRAWN FOR IMPROVEMENT NOT fs-ROP 2D Maglite MOD, Silver, 8 Lithium AA’s

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

EDIT-WITHDRAWN FOR THE MOMENT-GOING TO EVALUATE SOMETHING!
ROP, Roar of the Pelican flashlight is for sale. I want to sell the ROP for $122, U.S.D. It is in brand new condition, Aluminum Silver Color 2D Maglite that is modified.

Buyer pays shipping, USPS and mailing insurance. Shipping on receipt of payment, PayPal or certified check or money order. I will honor the first "I'll take it" without conditions posted in the thread. This is a private sale, consider the light used, no warranty or guarantee offered or implied. I check CPF in the morning, Mountain Standard Time, UTC/GMT -7 hours. Private Message the specific details please.

It has these features:

1. fivemega dual function removable cam SMO reflector

2. Borofloat window

3. One HIGH BULB & Two LOW BULBS, frosted HIGH and One LOW

5. Two Aventrade 4 AA to D, parallel battery holders

6. Eight UltraFire 3.6 Volt AA 900 mAh Lithium Batteries, rated 7.2 volts at 3.6 Ah, however voltage holds at 8.4 V off the charger during use for a time. That is higher than typical the NiCd and NiMh solutions.

7. One 2D battery holder and adapter to use with a lithium cr123, 3.6 volt charger

8. Maglite, silver color, 2D flashlight

9. 5 amp fuse in tail cap.

These things were done:

1.The maglite switch was modified using AWR's instructions to reduce internal resistance.

2. The spring terminals are grounded with copper wire jumpers. I have measured 0.9 circuit resistance through the light now.

3. The battery holder allows 1 to 4 cells in parallel. The positive terminals had to be built up to accept the Lithium AAs.

4. I like to frost the sides of the bulb to remove artifact shadows, not the top. One of Two LOW Bulbs is not frosted but I can frost it if you want.

5. The batteries were charged once by an UltraFire 3.6 lithium smart charger and have not been discharge except for a few minutes or run.

6. 5 amp fuse in tail cap, automotive mini-blade. Low draws 2 amps High draws amps, this should protect from cirtcut failures and stupid stunts.

Comments:

I like some mod projects just for the pleasure of making them up. Time to move on, I have no use for the light or these new parts. I had it completed and compared the beam to a couple of existing lights. The LOW BULB is very bright, about that of a MagCharger with an 1160. The HIGH BULB, well, check out CPF, many reports and they are true! So this project is new but deadlined. Each battery pack of 4 is the size of a D cell, by using the battery box and adapter I charged the pack using my UltraFire 3.6 volt lithium charger but the DSD will also work.

EDIT:
You all are killing me, I did a run time- 40 minutes, HIGH BULB, and then it dimmed to yellow. Wow, did I hit it on the head, that is 2.95 Ah for 4 parallel or 738 mAh each, not 900 mAh and that is just what AWR said it would be!!
So the light is running to begin with at 8.4 Volts, using 4.43 Amperes, bulb is running at 37 Watts.

References:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120462

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/flashlight_bulbs.htm --I got bulbs here.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112185

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99710

http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ultrafirereg-lithium-900mah-rechargeable-p-455.html

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS - ROP 2D Maglite MOD, Silver, 8 Lithium AA's

bump- because I added specs and improved the battery charger connection and added a fuse circut. Like I am keeping this and am not selling it. Am I crazy?

agent8698

Newly Enlightened

I'll take it, with the understanding that with the high output bulb it is noticeably brighter than my 8" Tiger11 (TigerLight FBOP model with WA01111 lamp and other fine work by Jim Sexton):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/49352

I'm not familiar with the ROP, but it sounds very much lijke what I want.
There are so many threads about ROP that branch out in so many directions that I was unable to find basics as, what is the light output of the high output bulb, and what is the runtime. I did a search for ROP, then a search for Roar of the Pelican, and every result was already highly specialized and technical and assumed existing familiarity with the light. I did not find a basic "for dummies" summary of the light. Max

agent8698

Newly Enlightened

Alin10123 said:

Alin10123, I disagree with your premise that that is a basic faq. Perhaps you care to demonstate to me how I can use that link (which the seller also provided) to find out how much light the high output bulb puts out, and what the runtime is, in the seller's version of the light. Just show me the steps that you took to obtain that information, and how I could have done the same and easily found the desired basic information.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

NO, I WOULD NOT DO IT, I THINK YOUR LIGHT IS AS BRIGHT AND FOR SURE IT IS HANDIER THAN A MAG MOD.

ROP in the original thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ad.php?t=120462 Then link to

http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9, the author calculates the bulb lumens at 1150, the accepted formula is .65*bulb lumens=torch lumens. But this puts it in the 700s, too high for sure!

http://www.pelicanproducts.ca/Lights/3850_light.htm

is the manufacturer's claim of 610 t-lumens at 7.2 volts from a larger reflector than a mag. More like it.

From CPF, search hotrater and you find AWR's calculating spreadsheet:

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=888.0 (click on the HERE to download it)

WA U-01111 at 7.2 volts produces 572 t-lumens. From reading a lot of threads I think this bulb edges the ROP, at least in non-lithium solutions.

38 lumens is too close to call, it may not be very detectable side by side because of the perception of the human eye. The resistance in a switch can be enough to produce 100 torch lumen variations not to mention the reflector differences or bulb frosting. This is too close to call. The output subjectively looks the same from my perspective. From a utilitarian point of view if you got that from the Tiger Light and Tiger Light has a wonderful cradle charging system, this ROP must take the packs out unless you want to install a jack and get the new charger:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/117653

I'll take it, with the understanding that with the high output bulb it is noticeably brighter than my 8" Tiger11 (TigerLight FBOP model with WA01111 lamp and other fine work by Jim Sexton):

I doubt that there is a significance. You will be disappointed.

Output, high 500s to low 600s like the 1111.

Run times well, the batteries are rated 900 mAh but AWR suspects they are 700 mAh, over rated, he has the experience. So 4*.9=6.6 Ah, because 4 are in parallel or 4*.7=2.8 Ah. The low bulb draws 4 amps, the high in this light is 4.43. so 2.8/4.43=.6 hours or 3.6/4.43=.8 hours or 36 to 48 minutes on high. I have not run it out yet and do not plan to.

EDIT:
EDIT:

You all are killing me, I did a run time- 40 minutes, HIGH BULB, and then it dimmed to yellow. Wow, did I hit it on the head, that is 2.95 Ah for 4 parallel or 738 mAh each, not 900 mAh and that is just what AWR said it would be!!

So the light is running to begin with at 8.4 Volts, using 4.43 Amperes, bulb is running at 37 Watts.

Last edited:

agent8698

Newly Enlightened

Northern Lights said:
NO, I WOULD NOT DO IT, I THINK YOUR LIGHT IS AS BRIGHT AND FOR SURE IT IS HANDIER THAN A MAG MOD.

Thanks for that detailed explanation Northern Lights, that was helpful. I will look for another light. Somebody should be happy with your light, though, and it doesn't sound too expensive, either. Max

SCblur

Enlightened

I'm not an expert. can you give me a simple output/runtime estimate for the high and low bulbs? Thanks

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

SCblur said:
I'm not an expert. can you give me a simple output/runtime estimate for the high and low bulbs? Thanks

Northern Lights said:
Run times well, the batteries are rated 900 mAh but AWR suspects they are 700 mAh, over rated, he has the experience. So 4*.9=6.6 Ah, because 4 are in parallel or 4*.7=2.8 Ah. The low bulb draws 4 amps, the high in this light is 4.43. so 2.8/4.43=.6 hours or 3.6/4.43=.8 hours or 36 to 48 minutes on high. I have not run it out yet and do not plan to.[/QUOTE]

For the interested that have not necessarity read every ROP post I noticed, as I have turned it on to admire the creation, that it currently is in a state which has been reported on CPF that a condensation forms on the window after it is shut down. This happens for a short time with some brand new ROPs. I have only read about it in ROPs. The bulb base is a potted bulb. After frosting the bulb is washed in water and finished in dilute alcohol. The potting material is porous like plaster, probably is plaster or ceramic plaster. Both are hydrophilic, hold water vapor.After you see that if you unscrew the head the condensate will evaporate very quickly. Anyway it is activated by the heat. It will go away.

Slaro

Newly Enlightened

agent8698 said:

What the heck??!!! Stipulations?? I just can't believe what some people will say!!

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Slaro said:
agent8698 said:

What the heck??!!! Stipulations?? I just can't believe what some people will say!!

I thought it was a very honest communications. I was not offended and it brought out a weakness in my offer. If someone else posted afterward that they wanted it without any reservation that person would have automatically had it so the post did no harm. I learned something and so did agent8698. But thanks, Slaro, for looking out for the thread. I know where your heart and head were coming from, yes, I have seen some sales threads destroyed by other's posts.

That post brought out a good point. Anyone else who had an interest now has a better idea what is going on. Actually very few people know a bunch about the ROP and that post helped me prepare the information so that any body could be an informed potential buyer. Another point is that not everyone is super savvy with drawing the information out of the CPF forums. I have professional IT skills, programming and QA assessment function and the reason I say that is to put emphasis and credibility to the statement CPF is difficult to search and extract specific topical information from.

I also had the opportunity to admire my creation one more time, folks you keep doing this to me and I may change my mind and coronate this light as the latest Shelf Queen. Upon re-examinining the ROP I believe I found one source of the annoying fogging that occasionally occurs with ROP mods.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

RUN TIME:
AGAINST MY BETTER JUDGEMENT I NOW HAVE CYCLED THE BATTERY PACK ONE TIME. I did a run time. I got 40 minutes on HIGH. LOok at the edit in #1 for the data and math.

That guy, AWR, knows his stuff. He predicted the battery capacity nearly on the head. Thanks, AWR.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast

agent8698 said:
Alin10123, I disagree with your premise that that is a basic faq. Perhaps you care to demonstate to me how I can use that link (which the seller also provided) to find out how much light the high output bulb puts out, and what the runtime is, in the seller's version of the light. Just show me the steps that you took to obtain that information, and how I could have done the same and easily found the desired basic information.

um...If you click on the link that i gave you, the #1 post in that thread says:

dano said:
Hola peeps, dano here. I figure that there's a lot of questions about this semi-mod. So, to assist, here's a sticky for the ROP, with a caveat--->

Please keep it simple and to-the-point so the newer members can follow along.

Here's a basic page/info: http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9 to get it started...

-dan

You click on the URL that's in the referenced post above that's quoted

http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9

There you get details on brightness, variations, runtime, within the introduction and the first few paragraphs.

Last edited:

agent8698

Newly Enlightened

Alin10123 said:
http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9

There you get details on brightness, variations, runtime, within the introduction and the first few paragraphs.

I'm not a flashlight expert. Until about 2 days ago, I didn't know what ROP stood for. I have heard of bulb lumens versus torch lumens, but I'm not sure what the difference is, although I have an idea. I also didn't know until recently what the acronyms for the different type of reflectors mean. I didn't know that there are different versions of the ROP. I didn't know (and still don't know) which version is considered the basic or standard version, and which ones are variations on that standard version. I noticed on that webpage, it says at the top: "Roar of the Pelican (4D)". So why does it have 4D in parantheses? Maybe because the 4D version is considered the standard version, or maybe not, it is not explained. Then further down it says: "the ROP is a hotwire incandescent light capable of delivering 1150 lumens at the bulb before optical losses." Capable? Okay, what does that mean? With which bulb? You see, if you know all the relevant concepts and references and all the terminology in advance, then it is a quick and easy job to speed-read through that whole thing, focusing on what you need to know, and discarding whatever you don't need to know. But if you're like me, you don't have enough basic flashlight knowledge to be able to tell IN ADVANCE what is going to be relevant information, so you have to work through every little bit of information and every fork on the road of information, of which there are many, and that's difficult, that's not what a basic faq is or should be. For example, it talks about variations: how do I know which bulbs are used with which variations? It says: "The bulb requires six NiMH cells to power it, and these cells can be arranged in virtually any configuration imaginable as long as they can safely deliver the 4 amp current required to run the bulb." What's that? "The bulb?" Which bulb is that? It might be obvious to you, but it's not at all obvious to me. There is too much stuff like that, that is just taken for granted, too many such uncertainties, for this to be a basic faq, it is more like a summary of selected information that is considered of interest to experienced modders, in other words, it is written for experts. It introduces experts to the ROP, and it probably does it well.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

why are you guys discussing this in my sales thread?
I said this:
"I have professional IT skills, programming and QA assessment function and the reason I say that is to put emphasis and credibility to the statement CPF is difficult to search and extract specific topical information from."

But never the less thanks for the "BUMP".

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast

Northern Lights said:
why are you guys discussing this in my sales thread?
I said this:
"I have professional IT skills, programming and QA assessment function and the reason I say that is to put emphasis and credibility to the statement CPF is difficult to search and extract specific topical information from."

But never the less thanks for the "BUMP".

My apologies. I was only trying to help and pointed out the links and how to get the info. That way it would get you another potential interested buyer. I only wrote a few lines as a quick explanation.