Well guys - SF U2 Ultra on the way. **UPDATE** Its here!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy. Could possibly be here Saturday. I'm actually nervous. The vendor I purchased it from ( tacticalsupply.com ) said they are from VERY new stock from Surefire. So I should be getting one thats' hot off the presses, hopefully with all the "fixes" in it. Keep you fingers crossed that I don't get a dud!

**UPDATE** Got it. Serial #12884 Woohoo! I definetly got a newer one! Beautiful stark white tint! I mean brand new sheet of paper white! Even on the lowest settings it seems pure white with ( I think ) maybe a slight blue tint. Can't tell at the higher settings. As far as donut hole, practically none! Its like a tiny little pinprick in the center of the hotspot even from say 6 foot away from a white wall. Awesome. My clicky switch seems smooth and normal. The adjustment ring is silky smooth. It says on the box that the lowest level is 2 lumens, I think its more than that to be honest, maybe even 5 or 6.
Of course I just got it and we'll just have to see how it goes for a while. But as for my initial impression - two thumbs up!

Last edited:

X Racer

Enlightened
Re: Well guys I took the plunge - SF U2 Ultra on the way.

Went for the U2 instead of the 27LT after all eh ? Good luck with it, hope you get a winner. I got the 27LT so I'll let you know what I think...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was *VERY* close for me to decide between the U2 or the 27LT. That 27LT is a frickin' beautiful light, no doubt about it. And practically indestructible to boot. I'll tell ya right now, if this U2 is a bomb and I can send it back and get my money back, I'll be getting one, no question about it. Take some real world pics of it when you get it. Maybe even desktop wallpaper shots!

sparky69

Newly Enlightened

KDOG. I have one comming from Surefire, (as a replacement for a bad one.) I'm glad to hear the distributers have recieved their shippments. So that means SF will be sending some out soon. Good luck and let us know if any changes were made. This batch should be a good one.

daveman

Enlightened

We'll see...

X Racer

Enlightened

Yeah, I can't wait till it gets here. I ordered a PD as well, so I'll have a pair for those desktop shots, lol.

Let us know what you think of the U2, its one of the only SFs I haven't had...

Loomy

Enlightened

KDOG3 said:
I'm actually nervous.

It's still just a flashlight :) Take'er calm.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast

KDOG3 said:
Keep you fingers crossed that I don't get a dud!
If your are dissatisfied with it for any reason, Surefire will repair or replace it. My first U2 had a severe donut beam pattern plus a flakey tail switch. My replacement has only a faint donut pattern and massive output. I'd estimate over 100 lumens. It's just a superb light. Please post your experience with it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Oh boy. Could possibly be here Saturday. I'm actually nervous. The vendor I purchased it from ( tacticalsupply.com ) said they are from VERY new stock from Surefire. So I should be getting one thats' hot off the presses, hopefully with all the "fixes" in it. Keep you fingers crossed that I don't get a dud!

**UPDATE** Got it. Serial #12884 Woohoo! I definetly got a newer one! Beautiful stark white tint! I mean brand new sheet of paper white! Even on the lowest settings it seems pure white with ( I think ) maybe a slight blue tint. Can't tell at the higher settings. As far as donut hole, practically none! Its like a tiny little pinprick in the center of the hotspot even from say 6 foot away from a white wall. Awesome. My clicky switch seems smooth and normal. The adjustment ring is silky smooth. It says on the box that the lowest level is 2 lumens, I think its more than that to be honest, maybe even 5 or 6.
Of course I just got it and we'll just have to see how it goes for a while. But as for my initial impression - two thumbs up!

Congrats on a great light! Hope it is as good for you as mine is for me.

About the low level; chevrofreak measured his and found about 5 lumens. Mine is also somewhere in that area, I'd say 4-7 lumens.

Mine is probably about 100+ on high since it is about twice as bright as a HDS 60 on a meter:)
I'm not sure the all U2 run at the same current and have the same runtimes, but varying output by Luxeon binning... I think chevro is getting a second U2 to test so it will be exciting to see how it turns out. Mine is about the same as the one he already tested: about 90 minutes on high using an 18650.

Sverre

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in the 18650 myself. I don't have the plastic sleeve in mine and there seems to be some room around the batteries...I hope I can use them!

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Congratulations KDog, let us know you you like that new light. Sounds like you got a real winner.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair said:
... I think chevro is getting a second U2 to test so it will be exciting to see how it turns out. Mine is about the same as the one he already tested: about 90 minutes on high using an 18650.
Sverre
Yes, I will be sending my U2 to him, this week for him to test out the new LG 2600 18650's I got, and to see how bright (or dim) the old (SN. A00363) U2 is.

He does a great job graphing the output and runtimes on each level of the light. We shall soon see how long these new cells can hold out.:)

KDOG, glad to see you are thrilled with you U2. It sounds like you got a keeper. I am afraid ,though, that your body will not hold an 18650 cell, according to what others with new lights without the sleeve have said. Boring out the body, or trading bodies, is about your only option, unless you go with the 17xxx cell (not sure of the #) or some other smaller diameter cell. Enjoy you new toy, and don't stare into it too long, or you will see light squares for quite some time. (from experience) :eek:oo:

dchao

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
I'm interested in the 18650 myself. I don't have the plastic sleeve in mine and there seems to be some room around the batteries...I hope I can use them!
New U2, SER# 12XXX, won't take the 18650, Pila 600S is fine.