Storage for multiple 18650 reasonably cheap

Weylan

Enlightened
I am looking to store multiple 18650 cells so they just don't roll around. This can be dangerous.

I know I can store 1 in a match bottle, and this works for 1.

I know I can use some really cool cases, like Otter cases.

But does any one have good other suggestions for cases, or boxes to store these batteries. I would like to have a box that holds say 4-8 at a time, or even more, but I am entertaining usable suggestions please?

How do other people store these?

I really am looking at 2 -3 boxes of these. 1 box for discharged cells, that I have not recharged yet. 1 box for charged cells that are ready to go.

dulridge

Enlightened
Weylan said:
I am looking to store multiple 18650 cells so they just don't roll around. This can be dangerous.

I know I can store 1 in a match bottle, and this works for 1.

I know I can use some really cool cases, like Otter cases.

But does any one have good other suggestions for cases, or boxes to store these batteries. I would like to have a box that holds say 4-8 at a time, or even more, but I am entertaining usable suggestions please?

How do other people store these?

These boxes. It's a rotten pic as my camera has been dropped rather too often and it's after midnight here.

These are 17670's so 18650's should be fine - I don't have any here to check. Each compartment is about 19.4mm wide.

DCP_3067.jpg

Overall dimensions 116mm x 93mm x 27mm or about 4.5" x 4" x 1".

I can toss some of these in the post at cost if you are interested. BTW I'm in the UK. PM or email if you're interested.

Edit: My local store is out of them and isn't saying anything useful about when they may get some more in. I can mail order them, but I'd need to get 18 of them at a time to do that.

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
These are the 2 different cases I use to store hundreds of lithium cells.

They were recommended by a CPF poster and are made by Berry MFG. The larger one is for 12 ga. shells and the smaller one is for 20 ga. shells (tight fit).
The 12 ga. boxes were $6.99 for four.

A picture of both sizes:
Lithium 25 cell case

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

Weylan

Enlightened
Larry,

Do you have any more information on these boxes?

This is starting to look promising. but I need some more information. Who makes them, any other labeling, etc...

LEDite said:
These are the 2 different cases I use to store hundreds of lithium cells.

They were recommended by a CPF poster and are made by Berry MFG. The larger one is for 12 ga. shells and the smaller one is for 20 ga. shells (tight fit).
The 12 ga. boxes were $6.99 for four.

A picture of both sizes:
Lithium 25 cell case

Larry Cobb

dulridge

Enlightened
Since 4sevens did this on his birthday, from which i benefitted and since it's mine today, here's a freebie for the first 5 to PM me who wants one of the boxes in post 3 in this thread. I'd like to offer more, but I'm broke just now.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
rdh226 said:
I'm thinking you want a shotgun shell caseholder:

Now THAT my friend is a fantastic idea! Thanks for letting me rip it off!! ;-)

18650 cell is similar in size to a 2.5" 12 gauge shell. Most 12-gauge shell holders are for 2.75" shells, but the 2.5-inchers can be found.

If you get the 12-gauge shell holders in ballistic nylon with Velcro closures I imagine the length mismatch wouldn't be an issue (as far as the cells rattling around).

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit off topic but six AAs will fit in an altoids box. I have some thin rubber anti-slip shelf matting from a Walmart that I cut and glued into the box. They don't even rattle.

You might check a sporting goods store for some of the lure boxes with movable walls.