In the market for a good "inexpensive" spotlight

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I am looking to buy a spotlight for camping, using on things that go bump in the night, etc.
I like the Amondotech HID, but even tho everyone says it is "inexpensive" that is quite a lot for me.
Are there any other cheaper good alternatives that put out a lot of light?? Must be carry able. Thanks

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
fordwillman,

How long to you anticipate needing it to run for?
How big or small do you want it?
How far do you need it to shine?

There are numerous Dorcy, Vector, and other brand spotlights that do a nice job for immediate short bursts of light and cost in the $20 - $40 range.
My daughter has a 3 MCP Dorcy that shines hundreds of yards, has a nice hotspot, and very little corona, and a dim spill. But for $30, it is a real nice light. It stands on it's battery and has a nice flourescent bulb in it too. I am planning on getting a little 1 MCP vector, more out of curiosity then anything else since I do not lack spotlights.

Take care,
mtbkndad :wave:

LGCubana

Enlightened
If you or a friend belongs to Costco, the Thor Cyclops is selling for $25 - $30.

Disreguard the 15 million candle power claim. It's still the biggest bang that you'll get for $30.

If you do a search on "thor'", you'll see how popular it is in stock as well as modified form.

Also, don't confuse it with the now discontinued Costco HID.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Something similar to the Radio Shack 1,500,000cp rechargeable spotlight
may work for you. I got it on sale for under $5 and it has a very good beam
very bright and is rechargeable with both ac and dc charging.
They are not on sale anymore but I am sure there is something similar out there.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Something to consider would be the Princeton Tec Surge. It's reasonably priced, compact, weatherproof and puts out a great deal of light.