Ansmann 2300 in Nikon Coolpix S4

neighborm

Newly Enlightened
This may be a stretch for this forum but I'll try any way.
Inserted Ansmann 2300 rechargeables in Nikon Coolpix S4. After about a dozen shots, the low battery icon appears in the display. Nevertheless, I managed to sqeeze out a total of 172 photos on the low battery but I believe the low battery causes the led screen to appear dim in sun light. Is this a case where I have to buy only Nikon brand rechargeables? I did set the camera for rechargeable batteries but the menu option says Nikon Coolpix rechargeable. Seems like a strong hint.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Neighborm,

Welcome to CPF.

Rechargeable batteries loose voltage retention with age and use (including the Nikon branded batteries). When the voltage drops below what the camera determines as suitable, the low battery indicator comes on.

You can sometimes "revive" your batteries through a few charge/discharge cycles, but you may end up having to replace your batteries.

Another idea is that it could be that one of your batteries is bad, dragging the others down. You may want to test your batteries to see if they are all performing about the same.

Tom

Hans

Enlightened
neighborm said:
Inserted Ansmann 2300 rechargeables in Nikon Coolpix S4. After about a dozen shots, the low battery icon appears in the display. Nevertheless, I managed to sqeeze out a total of 172 photos on the low battery but I believe the low battery causes the led screen to appear dim in sun light.

Like some other brands Ansmann rechargeables are of somewhat variable quality, depending on who manufactured them for Ansmann. I had a few sets that died after a few months, and a couple of others that were still going strong after several years of hard use. The trouble with Ansmann is that you never really know what you'll get.

What I'd do is get Sanyos, probably Eneloops. They're IMO almost ideal for cameras, especially if you don't use your camera every day.

Hans

neighborm

Newly Enlightened
I haven't used these batteries very much and did recharge before using. I put another set of Ansmann into the camera after the first set died but the low battery icon appeared again after a few shots. I'll order some Sanyos to see if they make a difference. Thanks for the information.
Marvin