Poorly translated instructions

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I picked up an inexpensive cable tester today. Some of the warnings on the package are comical (and in some cases indecipherable):

* Forbid to use for cable with electric current (Ok, I understand this one - don't use it on a live cable.)

* Do not use it beyond usage. - Huh? :ohgeez:

* Do not change it on your mind. - Honest, it really says that!

:laughing:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you changed it on your mind, they'd have to bill you for it all over again. And they don't even know where you are. That wouldn't do, now would it?

Topper

Flashaholic*
* Do not use it beyond usage *
Look it's not a spoon so do not try to use it as a spoon.

* Do not change it on your mind *
Perhaps a reference to some kind of ESP sheilding??
All changes must be made by hand manually: not mind control?
Just a guess :whistle:
Topper :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the world of manufacturing in China. Many of the companies that import goods from China do not bother with localizing the documentation and just go with whatever the manufacturer (the Chinese one) supplies, and no doubt some of the Chinese manufacturers probably just use one of the online translation engines (like Babelfish or Google) to translate the instructions into English, and the person who runs it through probably only has a limited knowledge of English.

While it's not quite as bad, you may even get instructions that are similarly difficult to understand from countries where English is an "official" but not a primary language (e.g. India and Singapore). More established companies, selling higher ticket items, may employ native speakers (or US based tech writers) to re-write the instructions so that the product presents a more pleasant image to the consumer.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? I'm not familiar with this product; is it marketed to psychopaths who prey on children? :D

borax said:
I still say Miracle Blades "Do not stick knife in children" is the best translation screw up to date...:ohgeez:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've all seen the stickers on things that suggest to us that there are "no user serviceable parts inside" but all the modules and things I've bought from X10.com in the last few years have just said "no serviceable parts inside" which I thought was rather a negative reflection on their confidence in their products...

Then there was this on the first printing of these candies that I thought was funny...

altoids.jpg

though I doubt that is a translation error, it's still funny :D

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
James S said:
We've all seen the stickers on things that suggest to us that there are "no user serviceable parts inside" but all the modules and things I've bought from X10.com in the last few years have just said "no serviceable parts inside" which I thought was rather a negative reflection on their confidence in their products...

:laughing: I can think of some things that appplies to

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I read "do not change it on your mind" I immediately thought "don't use it on your head." :shrug:

:buddies:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm in agreement with Topper that it must be some kind of warning about using the ESP interface. It's probably susceptible to ESD, EMF and RFI.

Another little gem from the instructions, shown verbatim:

It is special cable tester. Don't connect it with computer. HUB& other machine.

Ahh yes, the other machine... those are always trouble.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the instructions for my power inverter, the introduction starts with "This power inverter series are the member of the most abvanced (SIC) line of mobile AC power supplies avaliable. This model has a wide range of application including remote homes, RVs, Campers, and boats.

To get the most, it must be installed properly and used. Please read the insturctions before installation and usage."

Then there's this long run on sentence "Caution; loose connections will result in excessive voltage drop and may cause overheating wires and melting insulation or reverse polarity connection will blow the fuse or damage the inverter. Damage from reverse polarity connection is not covered by warranty."

The rest is somewhat understandable.

Ok, where did I put the manuel for my portable DVD player ?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was reading through a service manual for a studio camera once. When I got to the section about the built-in color bar generator, I noticed that there was a connector labeled "color bra." :eek:

schrenz

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Welcome to the world of manufacturing in China. Many of the companies that import goods from China do not bother with localizing the documentation and just go with whatever the manufacturer (the Chinese one) supplies, and no doubt some of the Chinese manufacturers probably just use one of the online translation engines (like Babelfish or Google) to translate the instructions into English, and the person who runs it through probably only has a limited knowledge of English.
Even more surreal are instructions, which are first translated from Chinese in English and after this in another language (in my case German) and all this is done with babelfish or google.
So the instructions of a cheap toaster can be funnier than a late-night-show :laughing:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes the computers make the problems up themselves. I snapped a screenshot of this a few years ago now. It's a little Dell add insertion on slate.com and unfortunately, the title was a little too long and was truncated automatically at just the right point to make me spit coffee over the monitor that morning...

Though it would hardly qualify as PG13, I would be setting a bad example for a moderator if I just pasted it into this message. So instead I'll tell you to not click here if you think you might be offended by a clever truncation of the word "assistant" i wonder how long it ran like that and how much Dell paid them to sell it...

Latest posts