multi-LED host for Ultra Violet (UV) LED swap

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I just received a TerraLUX 1W UV LED drop-in (395nm CREE) and found out that it's not the correct wavelength for lighting up what I wanted (the yellow/red UV security feature on new Canadian bills).

I had bought 10 UV LEDs (360nm) (specs here: http://www.thefoxgroupinc.com/p1-1.html, quick specs: If=20mA typical (max=30mA), Vf=3.8V typical (3.6-4.5V)) waaay back in a group buy (it was so long ago that I can't even find the thread anymore, and "UV" isn't long enough of a search string either) and swapped one into the infamous $6 Dorcy 1AAA LED. It worked, but was kinda weak (obviously), which was what prompted me to jump on the TerraLUX/CREE UV drop-in.

Since that didn't work out like I expected, I'm looking for a good multi-LED host to swap in the remaining LEDs (9, or 10 if I scavange the Dorcy) into, which will hopefully work out better. Anyone know of a good host (10 LEDs or less) that's relatively easy to mod? I don't really want to spend $39 on an Inova X5-UV and try to tear it apart.

I've found a couple like this cheapie at Lighthound though: http://www.lighthound.com/sales/multi-led_flashlights.htm It looks promising (and cheap :D), except I'm not sure how well it re-assembles after disassembly. Any suggestions?

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Thanks Tronic, that's exactly what I was looking for, guess I'll have to order one also. And thanks to that thread, I managed to find the original GB thread where I bought it from Chimo just over 1 year ago. :crackup: I guess I was just waiting for a better host to come along and never got around to modding it until now.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put 9 of those 360nm leds into an ebay cheapie like this type last year and it works very well on the latest series of Canadian bills. Very easy mod and effective on credit cards too.

I think I paid less than $14CDN for a pair delivered.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Thanks LumenHound, that's exactly what I was looking for and price is right too. :D Now I just have to register on eBay and bid on 1 or 2. Funny thing is I've had my Paypal account for 2.5 years but no eBay account. I opened it specifically because of this forum. :laughing:

Is your 9-led mod powerful enough to light up the bills in daytime? Like in an office with fluorescent lighting? My Dorcy UV mod works okay in the dark, but almost useless in any well lit area, even when I'm holding it 1 inch away from the bill.