Mod for battery life on Brinkmann LED/Halogen spotlight?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Guys,

I've got a Brinkmann spotlight with a 35W 6V H3 bulb in it. It also has an LED when you don't need as much light. I bought it from Wal Mart so it may sound familiar. It is rechargeable and I don't think they are NiMh batteries.

Anyways, the run time on this thing is only about 15 minutes (not even) when using the 35W H3. I thought about putting in a less demanding bulb but it seems the 35W 6V H3 is as low as H3s go.

Any suggestions? I want to do this on the cheap if you know what I mean.

I'd like to actually just throw in a Mag bulb but I'm not sure how to adapt it to an H3 plug.

Mischief[LTS]

Newly Enlightened
i thought they are supposed to last like 12 hours on a full charge on halogen mode? i just picked one up and have to say, its quite an impressive little light for the money. ill be testing it out in some upcoming urban explorations

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
if its a 12V gell cell, you could replace it with a set of 12 ni-mhy batts and appropriate charger.
if it was an 7Amp gell cell you would get about the same runtime with some C nimhys, and almost 2x runtime with D sized.
it would not be CHEAP, but when we change gell cells for ni-mhy its a much better lighter setup.

larryk

Enlightened
Can you open it up and see what size 6 volt battery is in there ? I'm going to guess it is at least a 3 amp 6 volt SLA battery. Even if it is only a 3 amp battery, you still should get about 30 minutes of runtime. I own a similar light called the Vector Tough Brite model VEC144. It has a 3 amp SLA battery, and is using a 15 watt H3 bulb. So there is a smaller lamp option if you can find one. Try calling Vector at 866-584-5556 and see if they can sell you a 15 watt H3 bulb, or maybe they can tell you who handles them.
Here is a link to the Vector VEC144,
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200309853_200309853

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
larryk said:
Can you open it up and see what size 6 volt battery is in there ?

oops, 6volts, good thing somone is paying attention.
so adjust my post to say Lead Acid Gell Cells suck, and are easily replaced with ni-cd or ni-mhy packs.

Latest posts