Alpec Green Laser's "Question"

skyhighranch

Newly Enlightened
I got me one of the alpec sotonic green laser's today. Is there a time limit on using one or do they get warm? It would seem to lose power very quickly.
Is this normal for a green laser?
Or did I get a piece of S___?
And I tried a few new sets of AAA's
Got it a fry's for $89.
Is there something about laser's I don't know about (more then pushing the on button)?
Thanks

Last edited:

ajohnson

Newly Enlightened
Well, you didn't post specs, but there are some on their site here:
http://www.alpec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=1756

When you say it loses power quickly, how much time are we talking about? a few minutes? an hour? Pointers are generally meant to be used for a few seconds to a minute and then turned off for a bit.

What type of AAA batteries are they? Carbon/alkaline/lithium? energizer e2 etc. All batteries are not created equal. Green pointers use MUCH more power than red. They use a high-power infrared diode into a crystal that lases low power green. Because of that they generate heat that has to be dealt with, usually with an internal heat sink.

Since you purchased this at a brick-and-mortar store I would assume it's somewhat of a quality product. It's usually the mail order stuff that can turn out to be a piece of s___.

wells05

Newly Enlightened
I've seen those pointers at fry's and wondered. If it was me that spent the $89, I'd take it back, tell them it looses power very quickly, get a refund, and purchase elsewhere. Try giving Arnold a call at Atlasnova.com. The money you spent will get you a higher power, and probably a higher quality pointer.