Fit 3C alkalines in a Mag 2C?

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
Would I be able to fit 3C alkalines in a Mag 2c if I were to remove the spring and de-anodize the cap?

I'd like to drop in a Mag 3 cell LED module with the 3C alkalines. I think I'd get more light from the 3 cell LED than the 2 cell correct?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been my experience that the 3 cell modules usually have the best output, but I don't think you can fit 3 C cells into a 2C light. You can do that with a 2D body though. Easiest solution, though, is to just get a 3C body to begin with.

bimemrboy318 said:
Would I be able to fit 3C alkalines in a Mag 2c if I were to remove the spring and de-anodize the cap?

I'd like to drop in a Mag 3 cell LED module with the 3C alkalines. I think I'd get more light from the 3 cell LED than the 2 cell correct?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, there is no way for 3 C alkaline cells to fit into a stock 2C.
If you were to bore out the tailcap sidewalls to allow a C cell to slide in you wouldn't have enough metal left behind the threaded area to hold the cap onto the bottom of the flashlight tube and the total battery tube length would only equal about 2.5 C cells anyway.

3 Sub C Ni-MH cells with a diameter of 23mm might just fit but you would have to bore out the tailcap side wall area to the same diameter as the area where the original tailcap spring rests.

bimemrboy318

Enlightened
A few things:

I'm really going for the form factor of a Mag 2C. Smaller the better. So, which is the next smallest between the 2D and the 3C? I think the 3C is still shorter but I can't tell as I'd most likely have to order the 3C online somewhere.

The other thing is how much brighter is the 3 cell LED comparted to the 2 cell? Is there a noticeable difference or does the internal circuitry limit the output anyways so I'd just get extended runtime?

Thanks for the fast replies!

Brighteyez said:
It's been my experience that the 3 cell modules usually have the best output, but I don't think you can fit 3 C cells into a 2C light. You can do that with a 2D body though. Easiest solution, though, is to just get a 3C body to begin with.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Another alternative, which I think is "much" better is to run the 3xC module in a 1xC M*g with a protected 18650 cell, which is exactly what my next door neigthbor does ;)

Going left to right: FL12, FM HAIII 2C, MM 2C HAIII, FM 1.5D, Modamag 1D, MM HAIII 1C (this would be what I would recommend for you):
IMG_6481.JPG

Several members here in the forum can take a 2C and cut/re-thread to create a 1C, and member Mirage_Man can even do the HAIII version, such as the one shown above ;)

Will

wechnivag

Newly Enlightened
SOrry for resurrecting old thread. But on the same question, a tailcap switch mod with a custom heatsink will definately be able to fit 3C cells in a 2C body length? Since the space taken by the current switch and light post will be free for the cell.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOrry for resurrecting old thread. But on the same question, a tailcap switch mod with a custom heatsink will definately be able to fit 3C cells in a 2C body length? Since the space taken by the current switch and light post will be free for the cell.
Possibly ,though you'll have to live with a big hole in the tube where the switch was. A better way to do it would be to get a 3C, then cut the tube and rethread it.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep you could make a "1C" and shorten it to use an AW "C" Cell and that would give you the smallest form factor. But if you're hell-bent on trying to use alkalines then it'll have to be a 3C host or require some addons like a deep custom tail cap to make it work.

Shane