my fenix E0 mod

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
first of all i want to say "thank you!!!" to foursevens that give us all that fantastic lights.

then here my mod:

i have modded the circuit for give more milliamps to the led, when unmodded i have read around 23ma to the led, now i read 35ma. the bad thing is that i don't understand how push more power: before start the mod i have think to reach at least 50ma to the led but seems that the circuit can't handle that power. now it drain around 220ma from the battery so also the efficiency have drop.

another mod i have do is to polish the reflector for have a higher lux reading with the loss of a bit of spill

finally i have replaced the original nichia U rank with a mine, the rank is the same but the mine have a better color, the original one was too cyan

i have compared the light against another my mod, a infinity ultra with polished reflector and a nichia U rank pushed at 60ma, the total output is for sure higher in the infinity, but the throw is about the same, 69 lux in the E0, 81 in the infinity, not bad

in the pic the beamshot with 2 exposure levels and the really simple circuit

E0%20vs%20infinity.jpg

here the polished reflector

fenix%20e0%20testa.jpg

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
what was the input & Output Current and voltage? (just wondering about the efficiency) before and after the mod...

23 mA SURE is a GOOD current drive...(No Overdrive.. thus prolonging LED Life as such) considering Arc's 60 mA Overdrive....

so fenix is not only cheap but also going to last longer... is it?

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
ViReN said:
what was the input & Output Current and voltage? (just wondering about the efficiency) before and after the mod...

23 mA SURE is a GOOD current drive...(No Overdrive.. thus prolonging LED Life as such) considering Arc's 60 mA Overdrive....

so fenix is not only cheap but also going to last longer... is it?

when modded 3.52V go to the led when warm (a bit more when cold) but i'm not able to measure the right efficiency cause when i measure the drain the little resistance of the DMM affect the reading. btw i think can be 70% eff when standard and 55% when modded

the zetex300 circuit used in the infinity is much more efficient, 80% or more and still push 60-65ma to the led

don't worry about the led life, i have modded my infinity more than one year ago, now with hundreds of hours of runtime the led still have the same output

nichia CS survive well up to 60ma, dangerous can be 80ma or more

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
:) thanks for the response.

but if you want to have 60-65 mA we already have Arc AAA, it would last for almost 5 hours....

It would be interesting to see how Fenix Zetex circuit behaves at 50mA fed to LED. (true efficiency would suffer)...

I read some where that the efficiency of Zetex in 20mA configuraiton is best configured in Fenix E0, more over the Nichia CS is much more efficient (in terms of Lumens/Watt) at this current as compared to 50mA (i mean you wont get 2X Lumens of 20mA Lumens) it's probably like 1.5 times ..

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
ViReN said:
:) thanks for the response.

but if you want to have 60-65 mA we already have Arc AAA, it would last for almost 5 hours....

It would be interesting to see how Fenix Zetex circuit behaves at 50mA fed to LED. (true efficiency would suffer)...

I read some where that the efficiency of Zetex in 20mA configuraiton is best configured in Fenix E0, more over the Nichia CS is much more efficient (in terms of Lumens/Watt) at this current as compared to 50mA (i mean you wont get 2X Lumens of 20mA Lumens) it's probably like 1.5 times ..

a little update: i have do a runtime test with a ni-mh battery that give 500mah at 200ma rate (tested with a charger like triton), the light drop under 60% of original output after 190 minutes, this mean that the average drain is 160ma, not bad!!!!!! i read more than 200ma at startup with a DMM but maybe after few minutes the led become warm and the voltage drop so the circuit become more efficient.

i don't think that the E0 use a zetex circuit, btw i haven't understand well what you want to say sorry ;)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
@davidefromitaly,

Do you have a post for your Infinity mod? I'd like to mess with mine. I have the original version. I might even upgrade the white LED (where's the best place to get one?)

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
@davidefromitaly,

Do you have a post for your Infinity mod? I'd like to mess with mine. I have the original version. I might even upgrade the white LED (where's the best place to get one?)

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90461

here a my old thread about the nichia U rank (now not available on the forum), and this is a pic of my 2 modded infinity

infinity%20mod.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I am upgrading my Fenix E0 with a whiter LED, so I took the old LED from the E0 to upgrade my Infinity.

With a reflector polish, this CMG is once again usable.