Aircraft landing lights

batman

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know just how many lumens those aircraft landing lights are on the 737s,747s, etc?
batman

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know just how many lumens those aircraft landing lights are on the 737s,747s, etc?
batman

either 450 or 600 watt. and ~ 5000 or 7000 or so lumens respectively.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use Q4681 Bulbs.

I think most of the Commercial Aircraft use these.

Q4681/28V/450W USA bulb specifications:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

category: HALOGEN
volt: 28
amp: 16.1
watt: 450
base: Screw Terminals
glass: PAR46
filament: C6
fil.res.: 1.74 ohm
m.o.l.: 4.12 inch (104MM)
i.lumens: 3900000
cp: 310000
d.hours: 50

notes:

aircraft lamp
ba:15x9
landing lamp

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:
either 450 or 600 watt. and ~ 5000 or 7000 or so lumens respectively.

Wow.. I wonder why they dont use HID bulbs.... They must have tons of wattage to spare.... thats alot of stinkin wattage to only get 7000 lumens.

I guess they would only need about 100 watts HID to do the same job?

I guess HIDs are newer than I thought.

Orbit

Enlightened
747's 737's and most other commercial airliners do use HID. What they use exaclty i can't tell you, but search google i'm sure you'll come up with something.

Starlight

Enlightened
We have hand held spotlights using the Q4559X. It is rated at 600W, 28v and 770,000 CP. It's called the Larry12k.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starlight said:
We have hand held spotlights using the Q4559X. It is rated at 600W, 28v and 770,000 CP. It's called the Larry12k.

We use the Q4559X on nose taxi lights and nose landing lights.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orbit said:
747's 737's and most other commercial airliners do use HID. What they use exaclty i can't tell you, but search google i'm sure you'll come up with something.

Boeing and Airbus have only VERY recently begun to use HID on factory new aircraft. They are using 50 watt HID maximum so far.

The vast majority of large commercial aircraft still use incandescents. The Canadair CRJ-700 series commuter jets are the only ones using HID for a few years.

35 watt HID is equal to 200-250 watt incan. 50 watt HID is about equal to 450 watt incan. in terms of lumens. A 75 watt HID will outperform (lumens) a 600 watt incan with same reflector size.

Goodrich is the primary supplier at this point, we are working on that.

Aviation is very slow to move into new technology because of the time and cost involved to TSO the product and to change the "Type Certificate" in new manufacturing. Also STC's are time consuming and expensive as well for these aircraft. For airliners DO-160 testing which is very expensive and takes a lot of time would be required.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada said:
glass: PAR46

FWIW, you can calculate the diameter of the sealed beam assembly by looking at its "PAR" number... simply divide by eight. So a PAR46 would be 5.75 inches. The largest the PARs come in, AFAIK, is PAR64 and I've seen the commonly-available ones as high as 600 watts. Lamp lifespan is short, so I suspect these filaments are being driven pretty hard. Most run on aircraft voltages of 28 volts, but I've seen 500 watt versions in 12 volt.

I actually have two of the 500 watt PAR56s on my workbench. Once I'm done with my list of existing projects, I want to turn them into auxillary lights for the wife's car.

larryk

Enlightened
XeRay said:
Boeing and Airbus have only VERY recently begun to use HID on factory new aircraft. They are using 50 watt HID maximum so far.

The vast majority of large commercial aircraft still use incandescents. The Canadair CRJ-700 series commuter jets are the only ones using HID for a few years.

35 watt HID is equal to 200-250 watt incan. 50 watt HID is about equal to 450 watt incan. in terms of lumens. A 75 watt HID will outperform (lumens) a 600 watt incan with same reflector size.

Goodrich is the primary supplier at this point, we are working on that.

Aviation is very slow to move into new technology because of the time and cost involved to TSO the product and to change the "Type Certificate" in new manufacturing. Also STC's are time consuming and expensive as well for these aircraft. For airliners DO-160 testing which is very expensive and takes a lot of time would be required.

I own the Barnburner and it is a great spotlight and I am very happy with it, but my larryK14 using a slightly overdriven 600 watt Q4559X lamp produces twice the lumens of my Barnburner. Maybe it's because of the 8 inch reflector ?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
larryk said:
I own the Barnburner and it is a great spotlight and I am very happy with it, but my larryK14 using a slightly overdriven 600 watt Q4559X lamp produces twice the lumens of my Barnburner. Maybe it's because of the 8 inch reflector ?

the lumens of a 600 watt incan are about 8000 or so. The par 64 reflector size will improve the efficiency quite a bit though. You must be measuring lux or something other than lumens. Lumens is the total light being produced, if using a light meter somewhere in the beam you are not measuring lumens.

Meduza

Enlightened
scott.cr said:
FWIW, you can calculate the diameter of the sealed beam assembly by looking at its "PAR" number... simply divide by eight. So a PAR46 would be 5.75 inches. The largest the PARs come in, AFAIK, is PAR64 and I've seen the commonly-available ones as high as 600 watts. Lamp lifespan is short, so I suspect these filaments are being driven pretty hard. Most run on aircraft voltages of 28 volts, but I've seen 500 watt versions in 12 volt.

Just got to make the little comment that this is just about the 28v ACL's, Stage Par64 is aviable up to 1200w commonly...

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
XeRay said:

For incans used in aircrafts, your numbers may be correct, but for other incans they are not. Having a quick look in the Osram cataloge:

HLX 64669
590 Watt
21500 lumens

HLX 64655
250 Watt
10000 lumens

Sigbjoern

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I had one wired on a custom car years ago. I have no idea the type or any specs, but when it came on, you could see ANYTHING!!

I used it as a "deterent".
When oncoming traffic would not use their low beams, just a split seconf flick of this light and they knew they didnot want to play "headlight chicken", lol!

Also used in the rear. When youuger, we went to parties way out on dirt roads and backing up became a problem with the little stock lights..., the landing light did the trick..., just one in front and one in the back:)

Busa Rush

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at landing lights too.. but settled on modding a lightforce 240 by fitting a 20 amp switch on the handle.. and using a 24v 250w HLX 64655.. have now got a 300w bulb in it.. I use it for general use in the cab of my truck.. looking for trailers at night and for those people that won't dipp their headlights ! i never run it for very long periods.. does get rather warm :grin2:

link to some beamshots http://community.webshots.com/album/552795137nGSSCi

was done with one hand holding the lamp and one holding the camera.. sat in the cab.. have not been messed about with all as i took them.. first time i took pics at night.. sorry if i hijacked your thread a bit there...

cheers

Dave.c

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I own a MadMaxabeam Larry14K clone using the GE 600 watt Q4559X (this is a nice writeup on this bulb) & 24 Sub-C Elite 4500 cells with about 32.35V hot off the charger, resting is about 31.85V

I have compared it numerous ways to my Barn Burner, including recently shinging both at a lighthouse about 2 miles away, and aiming both straight up in the sky and looked at both from a couple blocks away.

The GE Q4559X setup totally blows away the BB, including putting a brighter, larger spot on the lighthouse....and a mega-bright beam shooting straight up. The problem with it quite honestly is that the GE Q4559X setup is so damn bright up close (within 150 feet) with all the spill from that sealed bulb...that it just scares the eebie-jeebies out of everyone who gets near it....including me. LOL! It seems like a 747 is about to land in your driveway!!!

For a practical outside spotlight, I greatly prefer the focussed, defined BB light. A good way to compare the two is using an analogy of Mac's (or MadMaxabeam's) Torch with its stippled reflector wide beam, to a Mag85 with a FiveMega 2" Deep Reflector SMO's focussed beam (or maybe a 3" reflector which I don't have yet).

BVH

Flashaholic
Geeze, Lux, now I GOTTA have one. Mad Max, sent you a PM a while ago. Lux, does your arm get thrown back when you light it off? What kind of run time do you get until significant dimming?

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
BVH said:
Geeze, Lux, now I GOTTA have one. Mad Max, sent you a PM a while ago. Lux, does your arm get thrown back when you light it off?

LOL! Yeah, I have it in a sling from last night.:lolsign:

It's funny now when I see all these puny Cessna planes flying over the Long Island Sound at night with their dinky lights....I don't ever dare shine either the BB or this Larry14K up in the air when any planes are anywhere in view. Not only would it be stupid, and probably dangerous, but they might assume a 747 is somewhere around it.

Last edited: