ElektroLUmens Blaster reflector for better throw

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anything I can do to make the beam smaller, increase throw, make it less "floody", like my 4D MagLite.

Would changing the reflector accomplish that?

blasters2.jpg

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi etc,

From your picture, it looks like you are using those high performance, internal reflection type reflectors.. With these reflectors an optical law of internal reflection means very close to 100% reflection !!

If they are clean and optimally collimated they are the best you can get !!

All other type reflectors have lower reflection.

The wider beam is a direct result of a bigger illuminating source: You can't do anything about that !!

Take a welding filter a look through that filter directly into the reflector from about 6 feet, with the lamp fully operating: The more surface of the reflector is lit, the better. If the entire surface is lit you will have the max throw possible.

The only way to increase thow is overdriving the light-source to obtain higher surface brightness !!

Regards,

Ra.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So where can I get those high performance internal reflection type reflectors ?
(and why is it called "internal reflection" ? exterlan available too ?)

olephart

Newly Enlightened
My Blaster 3P uses an optic not a reflector. I recall Wayne stating that he had not found a reflector to equal the performance of the optic.

An optic will focus the light like a lens instead of reflecting it. I believe they are available in 3 degrees of focus - flood, general use and spot. I don't know what Wayne used.

They are pretty cheap and it wouldn't be too hard to swap in a narrow angle one to see what happens.

Meduza

Enlightened
The Optics used by the blasters is effecient and is quite narrow... they have quite good throw...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra -

I know you know a ton about light and optics. It could be that I didn't understand your answer. Also, my Blasters are old. I don't know if Wayne is using different ones than I have. I've seen that LuxIII and LuxV emitters are more focused using a Mag OEM reflector than with these 30mm TIRs. I don't know what angle they are. So, yes more light out the front end but the columation is a bit floody. With LuxV there is a weak spot in the middle of the beam. Not a donut hole but wanting to be one.

If this were one of the SF long TIRs I suspect the beam would be tighter and get more throw (image return at longer range).

bombleman -

Internal reflection works a little like fiber optics. It is dependent on the thin envelope of atmosphere surrounding much of the optic.

example of internal reflection:

ReflectionFrog.jpg

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, now I get it....

I got confused by the word "reflector"... Since we are nowadays used to McR's, IMS and the like...

But an optic is also a reflector, only different...

Nice find ! Since I also like optics (aka Internal Reflectors), I'll be testing one of these soon...

Cheers !

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak,, That's a very nice picture !!! Exactly showing the nature of internal reflection..

The optic-reflectors are the best for a number of reasons:

-If the are kept very clean (no scratches and grease and stuff..) they give very close to 100% reflection !

-They are very efficient: At the place a conventional reflector has a hole to fit the lightsource, the optic has a little lens, collimating light as well !

So to get the same throw with a conventional reflector you need a larger diameter ! However you cannot ever reach the torch-lumens of a n optic with a conventional reflector !!: Reflective materials like Al have about 88% reflection: that is lightloss that cannot be recovered !

The exeption are the harder to get dichroic type (optical thin layer) reflectors like those in beamer-lamps: they have up to 98% reflection !

Regards,

Ra.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing that would make it almost impossible to retrofit with a better reflector is how shallow the optic is. I purchased some extras from Electrolumens when I bought the Blaster 3P. In addition to being smaller diameter (35mm) than a stock Mag reflector (as an example), they are also only about half as deep (18mm). I don't think there is space in the head for the proper reflector geometry to get a tighter beam .

Last edited: