Fenix E0 "Dart" - comparison review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens (http://Fenix-Store.com) very kindly loaned me some of the latest single AAA Fenix flashlights for review.

Size -
FenixE0sz.jpg

Heads -
FenixE0hds.jpg

Design - a nice feature is that slot/cutout in the tail that allows an attached key split-ring to sit so that the light will stand on its tail
FenixE0standEnd.jpg

showing slot and a worm's eye view of the light standing on its tail.

The most obvious comparison is with the ArcAAA - there are so many apparent similarities (with the current ArcAAA-P(remium) - HA3 (hard) anodization and similar spec'd outputs of 5.5 lumens) -

I only have the classic ArcAAA (circa 2003)
E0_Arc.jpg
E0_Arc2U.jpg

similar characteristics both with blue'ish hotospots - the Fenix E0 is definitiely brighter when shown side-by-side. The Fenix E0 has the typical characteristics of the Nichia CS - a sunny/yellow corona/side-spill with blue center. ArcAAA (2003) has more of a brownish corona again typical of the characteristic of a Nichia 5mm LED of the time.

Another light that might bear comparison even if it is way of the price bracket - is the budget choice here on CPF -
vs. Dorcy 1AAA (gen 2)
E0_Dorcy.jpg
E0_Dorcy2U.jpg

again the Fenix E0 definitely shows brighter.

What else? how about
vs. Chinese "clone"
E0_clone.jpg
E0_clone2U.jpg

again Fenix E0 is definitely brighter.

This shows that the Fenix is brighter than the previous generation (ie: pre-Nichia CS) 5mm white LED 1AAA lights

Now let's play in more serious company -

vs. Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H)
E0_Nuwai.jpg
E0_Nuwai2U.jpg

hmmm.... the Nuwai TM-310H 1/2watt is brighter - it may be the tighter/more concentrated hotspot - the Nuwai betrays its typical blue tint......

vs. 1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart LED-050AAA
E0_AdvM.jpg
E0_AdvM2U.jpg

the 1/2watt is brighter.

On paper these 1/2 watts are probably about twice as bright as the Fenix E0 - but in practice the increase in brightness doesn't make that much difference....

saying that this applies equally to the Fenix E0 vs. the previous generation 1AAA 5mm LEDs.......

Now the step from the previous gen 5mm to the 1/2watt is a worthwhile and noticable difference...... and the Fenix E0 sits in between level.

More lights of interest -

vs. Fenix E1 with power Nichia LED -
E0_E1.jpg
E0_E1U2.jpg

vs. Fenix E1 Special* with U-bin Lux III
E0_E1sp.jpg
E0_E1spU2.jpg

*Special - this is a mod by 4sevens that he's trying out......
contact him for more details

The most worthwhile thing about the Fenix is the spec'd runtime and current regulation. A claimed battery life of 20 hours with about 10 hours on high seems very impressive.

Unfortunately I can't do runtimes - but xiaoyao's excellent review -
Fenix E0 (simple review)
has a runtime graph along with figures for the ArcAAA-P(remium) (2005)

Update - ADDED Nov/2/2006 -
I have a current production ArcAAA-P on loan -
so here are the comparisons with the Fenix E0 -

sizes and heads -
E0_Arc-Psz.jpg
E0_Arc-Phds.jpg

Fenix E0 vs. ArcAAA-P(remium) both using alkaline AAA -
E0_ArcP.jpg
E0_ArcP2U.jpg

The ArcAAA-P is noticably brighter with a seemingly better tint - but the beam characteristics are similar to the E0 - just brighter - look at the -2 stops underexposed beam of the ArcAAA-P and compare it to the Fenix E0 in the full exposure.... that's the Nichia CS for you......

Just for completeness here's comparison of the current ArcAAA-P with my classic ArcAAA (circa 2003)
ArcAAA_P.jpg
ArcAAA_P2U.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Great comparo, as usual, VT! Your pics are always excellent. I have four of those lights (E0, classic Arc, Dorcy, E1) and can agree with the relative brightness.

Geoff

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle wrote: "I have four of those lights (E0, classic Arc, Dorcy, E1) and can agree with the relative brightness."

Thank you so much for the feedback.

The one thing I mentioned but should have really emphasized is the efficiency of the Fenix E0.

For a light that's about 2x brighter than the previous generation of 5mm LEDs, like the classics - ArcAAA and Dorcy 1AAA, and have a runtime to 50% of over 10 hours is actually terrific - probably unheard of a few years ago.

Compare this with the highly respected ArcAAA - the P(remium) version is spec'd also at 5.5 lumens - its runtime (as well as the 3 lumen regular ArcAAA) is 5 hours to 50% - so the Fenix is running at approximately the same brightness level - but (tested) with about double the runtime......

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light that might bear comparison even if it is way off the price bracket - is the budget choice here on CPF -
vs. Dorcy 1AAA (gen 2)
E0_Dorcy.jpg
E0_Dorcy2U.jpg

again the Fenix E0 definitely shows brighter.

;)

Not been my findings, but hey. Actually, the Dorcy has a larger circle of floody light that is much more useful for this type of light. Just hold them up to a corner of the ceiling in a room and see for yourself. The tint of the Dorcy actually helps to illuminate things just a tad brighter. For example, I've shined both lights on a pair of Converse on my top closet shelf from the same place and angle. The "All Star" on the back of the shoes was more detailed with the Dorcy than the E0 due to it's "meaner" bluish tint.
The E0 looked dimmer and greenish and thus didn't illuminate as well.

Now let's play in more serious company -

vs. Nuwai 0.5w 1AAA (TM-310H)
E0_Nuwai.jpg
E0_Nuwai2U.jpg

hmmm.... the Nuwai TM-310H 1/2watt is brighter - it may be the tighter/more concentrated hotspot - the Nuwai betrays its typical blue tint......

vs. 1AAA 0.5w AdvancedMart LED-050AAA
E0_AdvM.jpg
E0_AdvM2U.jpg

the 1/2watt is brighter.

On paper these 1/2 watts are probably about twice as bright as the Fenix E0

- but in practice the increase in brightness doesn't make that much difference....

;)

saying that this applies equally to the Fenix E0 vs. the previous generation 1AAA 5mm LEDs.......

;)

The most worthwhile thing about the Fenix is the spec'd runtime and current regulation. A claimed battery life of 20 hours with about 10 hours on high seems very impressive.

until you actually "see" those last 10 hours. I had a green lawn chair not barely past a foot or so outside the sliding glass door, pointing it 8 inches from the chair, wouldn't illuminate a spot. Actually, it did, but you weren't seeing anymore than dark adapted eyes would allow.

So, that being the case, wouldn't the -> 7 dollar <- Garrity 1xAAA that claims 12 hours REALLY be impressive?

I'll let you know.

I wouldn't have attacked this review, but I'm not sure it's not 100% unbiased, and some lofty claims were made which definitely didn't measure up to what I've compared to in person.

Especially the claim of there being no descernable difference between an E0 and a 0.5 watt AdvancedMart in actual use.

Sorry, I just think that people who are spending their hard-earned money should get both sides of a story and draw their own conclusions.

For me, the cheaper 1xAAA's do just as good if not a hair bit better than a more expensive light of the same form factor.

And before anybody jumps on the HAIII bandwagon, I've seen the 'P1 - 5 months on a keychain post.' Looked like a beaten maglite from the 80's.

amanichen

Enlightened
until you actually "see" those last 10 hours. I had a green lawn chair not barely past a foot or so outside the sliding glass door, pointing it 8 inches from the chair, wouldn't illuminate a spot. Actually, it did, but you weren't seeing anymore than dark adapted eyes would allow.
Don't worry, all the ARC zealots constantly argue that 25% of 5.5 lumens is enough usable light, and the Fenix E0 puts out much more than that for its entire runtime. You should have a few words with them ;)

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
amanichen said:
Don't worry, all the ARC zealots constantly argue that 25% of 5.5 lumens is enough usable light, and the Fenix E0 puts out much more than that for its entire runtime. You should have a few words with them ;)

No thanks. I've never worn glasses or had any eye problems and I'm sure not gonna start via eye strain by using "moon mode" on an Arc or a E0.

There's useable light and then there's trying to convince yourself that it's enough and you made a good purchase.
There's some decent Fenix products for the money, this just doesn't happen to be one of them, IMHO.

And if any Dorcy 1xAAA owners want to validate my claim for themselves of a bit brighter and larger spot of light, I'll be more than happy to do a group passaround of the E0.

The beam pattern of the E0 reminds me more of my Streamlight 1xAA, except the SL is of course brighter and throws.

The E0 would be a better deal at say 8-9 bucks. Not worth more than that.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up wrote: "
wink.gif

Not been my findings, but hey. Actually, the Dorcy has a larger circle of floody light that is much more useful for this type of light. Just hold them up to a corner of the ceiling in a room and see for yourself.
I wouldn't have attacked this review, but I'm not sure it's not 100% unbiased, and some lofty claims were made which definitely didn't measure up to what I've compared to in person.
Especially the claim of there being no descernable difference between an E0 and a 0.5 watt AdvancedMart in actual use.
Sorry, I just think that people who are spending their hard-earned money should get both sides of a story and draw their own conclusions.
For me, the cheaper 1xAAA's do just as good if not a hair bit better than a more expensive light of the same form factor."

Many thanks for the input.

Just to be clear I've not taken this in any bad way - I am always interested in others' opinions - and that's the whole point of posting reviews in threads so that other opinions/corrections can be shown. I did not consider it an attack (and I'm sorry you do).

Having said that what you said made me revisit the 3 lights you specifically cited. The Fenix E0, Dorcy 1AAA, and AdvancedMart 1/2w 1AAA.

With fresh alkalines in each I took them into an almost entirely dark room of about 12ftx12ft - average to small average, and just compared them by simple eyeballing.

I still stand by AdvM 1/2watt ~2x> Fenix E0 ~2x> Dorcy 1AAA

First Fenix E0 vs. Dorcy 1AAA - the Fenix E0 is definitely brighter and I can see better with it - please remember I am at limited distance where nothing is much more than about 10-12ft away. I see more detail and basically better with the Fenix E0.

BUT, and this is the point - in isolation because our eyes accomodate/adapt to the environment and light being used - I would find the Dorcy 1AAA fine for normal use - and even though the Fenix E0 is brighter - the jump in brightness in itself is not enough to make me want to change from the Dorcy 1AAA as my EDC -

Now it sounds like we agree - but not in the same way. I am saying - of course I can see a difference in brightness - but for me the jump (2x'ish) is not enough to be worthwhile - for me.......

The comparison between the AdvanceMart 1/2watt and the Fenix is somewhat similar - yes, the AdvM is definitely brighter and in fact the overall beam characteristics is better - so again I do see clearer and better with the AdvM 1/2watt when I compare one after the other. However similarly I am still saying the step up from the Fenix E0 to the AdvM 1/2w 1AAA is not enough in its brightness alone. Again in isolation I could use either about as well.

Now the difference between the Dorcy 1AAA and the AdvM 1/2watt is (obviously) much more noticable, and for me a more worthwhile step up.

Notice I have very carefully said "for me" as a qualifier.

In practice I would not find too much difference when using a Fenix E0 to a Dorcy 1AAA - nor a Fenix E0 to a AdvM 1/2watt 1AAA.
That does not mean to say I can't tell a difference - I obviously can - but would I choose one over the other in the pairs mentioned? -
yes, but NOT solely on brightness.

.... and a tested almost 11 hours runtime (to 50%) is still pretty amazing for a light on a single AAA that's actually about 2x brighter than the immediate previous generation of 5mm LEDs - IMHO.

Basically AdvM 1/2w 1AAA ~2x> Fenix E0 ~2x> Dorcy 1AAA are the simple facts -

whether I think they are worthwhile step-ups in brightness is entirely my opinion - which anyone is entitled to disagree or agree with -
like they say YMMV.

Last edited:

*Retired*
Lit Up said:
No thanks. I've never worn glasses or had any eye problems and I'm sure not gonna start via eye strain by using "moon mode" on an Arc or a E0.

There's useable light and then there's trying to convince yourself that it's enough and you made a good purchase.
There's some decent Fenix products for the money, this just doesn't happen to be one of them, IMHO.

And if any Dorcy 1xAAA owners want to validate my claim for themselves of a bit brighter and larger spot of light, I'll be more than happy to do a group passaround of the E0.

The beam pattern of the E0 reminds me more of my Streamlight 1xAA, except the SL is of course brighter and throws.

The E0 would be a better deal at say 8-9 bucks. Not worth more than that.

Okay, I'm trying to grasp what is said here.

First, one will notice the quality of materials, and the build quality of the Fenix E0 easily outclasses the Dorcy AAA by several magnitudes. The Dorcy has shoddy construction in comparison, and is made from cheap junk metal- unlike the Fenix E0.

Noting the above, the Dorcy AAA vs. Fenix E0 is an awesome example of how one gets what they pay for. Material quality and construction wise, the Fenix E0 is by and far, much closer to the ARC.

The Dorcy AAA is much closer to those cheap lights out of Hong Kong.

I see the Fenix E0 pulling 0.070mA off a cell at 1.3V, Power = Voltage * Current, so the light is pulling 0.091 Watts.

You can slice and dice it any way you'd like, but a light that is pulling 0.5W will not last as long as a light pulling less than 0.1W.

The light that is pulling less than 0.1W will produce light five times longer than the light that is pulling 0.5W.

Run time wise, the E0 is hitting the 11 hour mark.

Our own busybody cpf'er Roy did a runtime plot on the ARC AAA here:
arcaaa-a.jpg

Roy also did a runtime on the old bright Dorcy AAA, before they reduced it's output by half:
dorcy.jpg

If you go out and buy the new Dorcy AAA, you will notice they reduced the light output by half. The newer versions can easily be identified by the new optic lens on the front.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_aaa.htm

Many of these 5mm lights (not the Fenix E0), are drastically overdriving their 5mm LEDs.

This results in damage to the LED, that can be seen in a very short order.

In one recent example I tested, the output dropped down by 95% in only 240 hours (yes, 5% output), see how it actually toasted the epoxy/phosphor black:
smjledd1.jpg

How fast did it ruin the LED?

smjledl1.png

Another shot:
smjledd4.jpg

Further details can be found here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128801&page=5&pp=40
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1600856

My comparision shots:
fenixarc.jpg

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kryosphinx wrote: "could you get a shot of the two E1's?"

I have already
...kind of.....

The two Fenix E1's are identical externally - since the special is really a mod to the LED (ie: internal)
so if they were next to each other in that already crowded size group shot they'd be idential and the only way to tell them apart is if I labelled them - and even then it would not matter if I swapped them around
(would I be so mischievous
tongue.gif
)

Any difference is shown in the group shot of the heads, where one can see the square emitter die of the the regular E1, and the round dome on the E1 Special.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kryosphinx wrote: "LOL
I meant a beamshot, so we could get a direct comparison. :p"

LoL!
tongue.gif

That will come, when I do a comparison review the E1.....
soon.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
Okay, I'm trying to grasp what is said here.

First, one will notice the quality of materials, and the build quality of the Fenix E0 easily outclasses the Dorcy AAA by several magnitudes. The Dorcy has shoddy construction in comparison, and is made from cheap junk metal- unlike the Fenix E0.

Noting the above, the Dorcy AAA vs. Fenix E0 is an awesome example of how one gets what they pay for.

Here's another: Streamlight 1xAA uses more materials; is aluminum; has a high setting; a low setting that matches the E0 AND it's runtime; a strobe mode;a reflector; a lens; an rubber electronic switch; more lettering on the body (production cost issues here) a Nichia; and a no hassle warranty.

Yet they manage to do all that for 12. ;)

*Retired*
Lit Up said:
NewBie said:
Here's another: Streamlight 1xAA uses more materials; is aluminum; has a high setting; a low setting that matches the E0 AND it's runtime; a strobe mode;a reflector; a lens; an rubber electronic switch; more lettering on the body (production cost issues here) a Nichia; and a no hassle warranty.

Yet they manage to do all that for 12. ;)

Great, sounds like a nice throw away light, as that poor Nichia LED is going to degrade fast on high. Any chance they offer their Nichia LEDs in replacement bulb packages? It would be nice if they do, and if they sold them at the sub 20 cents they get them for (in their volumes).

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
Lit Up said:
Great, sounds like a nice throw away light, as that poor Nichia LED is going to degrade fast on high.

Why in the world would I wanna throw it away? Especially considering my 10 year old Photon II is just as useful now as it was then and it must be overdriven as it beats the E0, so I'm sure by the time this becomes an issue, we'll all have moved on to bigger and better things in LED technology.

Give it away? Possibly. Throw it away? No.

Any chance they offer their Nichia LEDs in replacement bulb packages? It would be nice if they do, and if they sold them at the sub 20 cents they get them for (in their volumes).

They wouldn't have to. I could buy 5 myself and still come out ahead.
But this point is really moot as described above.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up, I'm getting tired of all your ignorant posts about the Fenix E0 and how you think it is a waste of money. It is an absolutely fantastic light that does what it is advertised to do. The build quality blows the Dorcy away, and the price is much lower than the Arc.

It is meant to be a low output long running well built light, and that's is exactly what it is. The efficiency of this light is fantastic, and the circuit is actually fully regulated, unlike any other commercialy available AAA light on the market.

It really does seem like you are on a crusade against this fantastic little light, and I don't understand why. Quality of materials is worth the extra price over the other lights you seem to be so fond of.

some runtime data

Fenix%20E0.png

meat

Newly Enlightened
Lit Up, I'm getting tired of all your ignorant posts about the Fenix E0 and how you think it is a waste of money. It is an absolutely fantastic light that does what it is advertised to do. The build quality blows the Dorcy away, and the price is much lower than the Arc.

While I and most of the people on this forum agree with you Chevro, he has the right to his opinion no matter how out of whack or inexperienced it may seem.

The pictures even prove the quality of the beam in the first pictures compared to the Dorcy. The E0 is a more closer competitor to the Arc than the Dorcy, even thought they both have 5mm LEDs and take a AAA battery. The Dorcy is larger, has an optic, does not last as long and is not built as well as the E0 or Arc. Then again, the Dorcy is only $7. I could easily manage with just an E0 instead of an Arc, but I wouldn't carry a Dorcy rather than an E0 :)

Great comparison UnknownVT. I always enjoy your images and comparisons.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
meat said:
While I and most of the people on this forum agree with you Chevro, he has the right to his opinion no matter how out of whack or inexperienced it may seem.

The pictures even prove the quality of the beam in the first pictures compared to the Dorcy. The E0 is a more closer competitor to the Arc than the Dorcy, even thought they both have 5mm LEDs and take a AAA battery. The Dorcy is larger, has an optic, does not last as long and is not built as well as the E0 or Arc. Then again, the Dorcy is only $7. I could easily manage with just an E0 instead of an Arc, but I wouldn't carry a Dorcy rather than an E0 :)

Great comparison UnknownVT. I always enjoy your images and comparisons.

He does have a right to his opinion, but I'm tired of the way it keeps getting presented. He makes it sound like anyone who buys an E0 over the cheaper Dorcy is an idiot and wasting their money.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see lit up's point, if it's that the Dorcy offers alot for the money but considering that it's got shelf space in massive retail outlets and the others don't, well, then my guess is that it should be priced about like the "chinese clones".

I may be very wrong but my guess is that the Arc AAA owes nearly all it's business to word of mouth and flashlight sites like CPF. Same with Fenix. That really changes the economies of scale and since CPFers and such are naturally out LOOKING for quality lights, we're already a hot "ready to buy" market and are generally willing to pay more and go to greater lengths to buy a light.

I've ordered two E0 Darts, one for myself and one for my Dad. I can't say what my impression will be until I get them but the runtime of these for the light output really blows the Arc out of the water. Getting 4 hours out of those trash "Heavy Duty" batteries is impressive as is 16 hours from the lithium.

I've wanted to buy the new Arc AAA -p for quite awhile and gotten close a couple times but always thought it was just too expensive for what it was. Personally, I get a bit contrary when I hear praise of something ad nauseum and all the blah, blah, blah about Fenix irritates the crap out of me. I especially hate that they've introduced a product that Arc should've introduced last year and that it's a chinese product and is less than half the price. Basically, I'm saying that I hate that the American made product deserves to get spanked by these , and that I just bought 2 of them.

When the E1 came out, I caught some flack from admins suggesting that Fenix "clone" the Arc. I caught flack because they interpreted my statements as stealing Arcs design , which isn't what I meant. I'll give credit to Fenix, though, they've introduced a product to directly compete with the Arc AAA-P but the design is fresh and the electronics superior.

With all this praise I'm giving fenix, I still want to emphasize that quality is in essence an impression of detail and Fenix generally does a little better but generally chinese made lights tend to fall short in this area. The dorcy is very low on the scale , the chinese clone even lower, the .5 watt much better than either but the Arc, IMHO , scores highest. I do get a sense of quality from the arc and that is important to me, unfortunately , a very low quality baseball bat will wack a ball further than a beautifully finished wooden dowel every time.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
chevrofreak said:
Lit Up, I'm getting tired of all your ignorant posts about the Fenix E0 and how you think it is a waste of money.

So use some of your "brilliance" and stop reading them, perhaps?

It is meant to be a low output long running well built light, and that's is exactly what it is. The efficiency of this light is fantastic, and the circuit is actually fully regulated, unlike any other commercialy available AAA light on the market.

You mean like this?
http://www.garritylites.com/page49.html

I won't bother to mention (again) the E0's 'all powerful' moon mode. :rolleyes:

It really does seem like you are on a crusade against this fantastic little light, and I don't understand why.

Because for what it does, it can be had cheaper.

Quality of materials is worth the extra price over the other lights you seem to be so fond of.

The quality of materials is no different than what SL uses (although the SL seems more solid) in the aforementioned tasklight with many more features AND more material. Yet, it's 12 bucks. Are we starting to make the connection in price differentials now?

And while I don't work for Garrity or any other flashlight maker for that matter, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about this latest, new offering and wondering how it stacks up against the L*P series.

But I'll bet I'll see it in Wal-Mart for less.

http://www.garritylites.com/page47.html

I'm really liking that switch on the body. :goodjob:

Latest posts