Kershaw "Chive" Knife

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone own a Kershaw Chive? DO you like it?

Thanks,
James
smile.gif

mikep

Enlightened
Yep, I've been carrying a chive for a while now (right rear pocket). I would say it's pretty 'office friendly' as long as you're careful who watches you flick it open. It may be a little small for some hands, though. I don't use the thumbstud at all to open it, just push the flipper part of the blade- the torsion bar does the rest.

Gandalf

Enlightened
I found the Chive a bit small for me, althugh it's decent for small jobs, and with the level of paranoia in the workplace, a smaller knife is more PC. Fortunately, I don't have that problem, where I work.

I bought the Chive's slightly larger brother, the Scallion. Both open as fast as any automatic knife, just by pushing the hump on the back of the blade. It's hard to believe they are legal!

Here's an eBay store that has both the Scallion, and the Chive, for $30, +$4.50 shipping, via Priority Mail. I highly recommend them.

Chive: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1053322428

Scallion:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1053326249

Here's the main page, they have the serrated Scallion for the same price, BTW:
http://www.ebaystores.com/id=17105030

I own a number of Kershaw knives, and have found them to be very well made, and a good value for the money.
cool.gif

mikep

Enlightened
Another great Kershaw value (IMHO) is the Vapor. 3" slightly recurved blade (not torsion-assisted), framelock, thin package, for $21!

funk

Enlightened
I just got the Chive and find it usefull, but I also find it a bit small - depends on your taste I guess - it is a very nice knife though - good feel and nice balance.

I think that I will try the Scallion!
Thanks

L.E.D.

Enlightened
The chive posseses many uses, but one drawback IMO is that it doesn't seem to occupy enough dimensional coordinates. I guess the opinion of the size would be determined by your taste. It is a very nice metal object that applies insane amounts of friction to a small, linear area though, it is pleasant to touch the knife and it's mass is distributed very evenly.

According to the usage of my logic skills, in the near future I will sample a small, tubular onion which reflects electromagnetic radiation measured at 525 nanometers.
*an expression of gratitude*

Newly Enlightened
I also just received my Chive today, I like it, but will also be buying the slightly larger Scallion. The Scallion also has a partly serrated edge blade, the Chive is a bit small and isn't availalbe with serration...but is a decent knife for pocket carry and opens with an attention getting "snick" sound in a real flash. I'm not too thrilled about carrying it with the safety off while in my back pocket, might cut my butt!!!
shocked.gif
mad.gif

HAS ANYONE HAD THE KNIFE AUTO-OPEN WHILST IN THEIR POCKET????

FYI
James
tongue.gif

mad.gif

rycen

Enlightened
I don't have the chive but I do have the Blackout.A bit big depending on where you are.
Well made
55.00 at wallyworld
I like it very very much.
smile.gif

BTW never had it open in my pocket in two months.

mikep

Enlightened
007, I have never had the chive open in my back pocket- the blade is against the pocket edge. it also fits nicely in the little 'change' or 'watch' pocket in the front right pocket of jeans. Sometimes I put the knife down in my front pocket so the clip doesn't show, and then I am very glad it has the safety lock
grin.gif

If you let someone else open it, male sure they hold on tight- I had a coworker drop the chive almost on his foot.
shocked.gif

ColdSpock-You are a geek!(I say that in a good way, speaking as an enginerd)

I wonder if Ken Onion will name his next knife "The Leek"?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a black chive, and so far give a big thumb's-up to both boron carbide, and the chive itself. I carry the knife in my watch pocket, and it's what I pull out whenever anyone is watching. It gets used for a lot of light jobs (opening mail, etc.) but also some almost-medium-duty jobs (breaking down heavy boxes, etc.).

I've found that the ergonomics are surprisingly good for such a tiny knife. I thought I"d barely be able to hang onto it at all, and in fact it's quite comfortable for even the harder uses I put it to -- it's got curves and grooves in all the right places. The boron carbide coating is pretty impressive as well -- not a single scratch yet, after several months of use.

Considering the price, it's a good value.

Joe

Newly Enlightened
After reading the comments on the Scallion, I went and bought one (in addition to the Chive I already own).

I like the Scallion (with partial serrated edge) as it does fit better in the hand. However, the all stainless chive is better made from what I can tell.

In either case, Kershaw has a real winner. PS- I love the loud "snick" sound it makes as the blade automatically flies opens after a tiny amount of pressure applied to the thumb stud!!!!
grin.gif

James

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Does any other knife manufacturer make an "auto" opener that is legal in the USA similar to KERSHAW????
confused.gif

mikep

Enlightened
There is the "rascal" made by meyerco which i believe has an 'assist' feature. I think the way these get around the switchblade laws is that the laws usually prohibit a knife which opens with spring tension(or gravity) and is released by a button or device on the handle. The Onion 'speed-safe' knives have no button (though the 'torsion bar' is a type of spring).

Camillus made a knife called the lev-r-lok I belive, which has a lever but not spring tension- the action of moving the lever a small distance swings the blade open.

Switchblade laws are kind of dumb, IMO, since a knife is not inherently good or evil, no matter how much it remids you of "West Side Story" or "Rebel Without a Cause"

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've been looking for a new EDC and you guys convinced me to take a closer look at the chive. I went to my local Academy to see how it felt/functioned before purchasing it online. I was surprised to see that it was only $30 – it's been going on eBay for around $25 + S&H which comes out to essentially the same price!

Anyway, as far as the knife in concerned, I love this thing. It has a nice, solid feel, and with the way they have the safety, if you remember to push outward as you pull the knife out, the pocket will release it for you for an easy opening.

Thanks to all that answered 007's origianl question.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Allen and thanks to all who responded and - thus proving how usefull a forum can really be when used properly!

Sincerely,
James
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
The larger Scallion, and even larger Whirlwind are also excellent 'opening assisted' knives made by Kershaw. I find the Chive a bit small, but I like the all stainless steel look. FWIW, I tend to use the Scallion the most. Kershaw really did a *great* job in designing these 'legal automatic' knives.
wink.gif