10 million candle power V's costco 30 million cp query

supersharpshoot

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm a newbee so be gentle!
I'm just getting into the hid idea. I've got a 10 million candle power halogen torch 12v 100w halogen bulb, which is quite good but the battery only lasts about 15-20 minutes. How would the costco 30 million candle power hid torch compare to mine regarding beam throw and battery life? thanks

LGCubana

Enlightened
You have a couple of bulb alternatives for your existing unit:

1. Dropin a Sylvania SilverStar bulb. The high setting will be either 65w or 60w; depending on what type of stock bulb comes in your 10mcp

2. 35w HID

I'm going the route of the HID upgrde to my 15mcp Thor Platinum.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello supersharpshoot

Welcome to CPF :).

You'll find that HID lights generally have much greater battery life than similar brightness halogen equivalents due to being more efficient (usually about 3-5 times more efficient). When comparing lights, remember that "candlepower" is a measure of beam intensity (throw) not overall light output.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
off topic, kinda.
I bought a Thor, 10 million CP.
I have a cheap 1 or 2 mil CP already.

I thought WOW!!! This will really put out!
My old light is far brighter, better throw, better flood and no bat wings or artifacts.

I returned the Thor, REALLY disappointed!

Anyone know of a "real" good HID?

bexteck

Enlightened
Its not completely clear in your post, but if you are thinking that the 10mil CP light that you bought is an HID, it is not. Only the ones labeled 30mil CP are HID.

Also, another general note on candlepower. The claims of many manufacturers are very inflated. It is very possible that the manufacturer of your 1-2mil CP light did not inflate their numbers and the manufacturer of the 10mil CP light highly inflated theirs, making the lights very close in light output.

waynejitsu said:
off topic, kinda.
I bought a Thor, 10 million CP.
I have a cheap 1 or 2 mil CP already.

I thought WOW!!! This will really put out!
My old light is far brighter, better throw, better flood and no bat wings or artifacts.

I returned the Thor, REALLY disappointed!

Anyone know of a "real" good HID?

waynejitsu

Enlightened
Neither are/were HID or advertised as HID.

My thought was highly inflated specs, but was not sure if light company would do that..., looks like my thought was right on, but did not want to point a finger before knowing:)
(THANKS!!)

Are the 30mil CP HIDS really 30mil?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thor 15 million (Incandescent)

IMG_0085Custom-1.jpg

Harbor Freight (Costco) HID

IMG_0086Custom-1.jpg

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice pics Lips!

what is the best option for 20-30 min runtime around$50-$60?
should I just save up for the Harbor Freight?

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Harbor Freight catalogue. The HID was on sale for $99 in the past.

The Thor is around $50 shipped on ebay I believe.

The HID is better but depends on $ you want to spend...

supersharpshoot

Newly Enlightened
Re the pics... the HID blows the incandinosaur out of the water! Must get one now. Only problem is nobody in the UK sell them that I'm aware of.
does anyone on here know of a UK seller for the 30 million cp HID torch?:sold:

Last edited:

kevin hendrix

Newly Enlightened
hey memebers, i just joined your group and must say your converstaion for the most part is way over my head. i don't understand the differences between lumens and candlepower, i just want to make sure i have the brightest spotlights available. i currently own a roadpro 10 million cp and a new 17.5 million cp i just brought last week at advanced auto in amelia oh, the name of the 17.5 escapes me at this time, but is only a little brighter than the 10mcp spotlight. my question is this. how do you know which lights are going to be remarkablely brighter than your previous purchases. i don't use these lights for anything other than, i've always been attracted to super brite spotlights and flashlights, and there abilities to turn night into day. look forward to reading your future post. candlehead

Rando

Enlightened
Hi Kevin,

Lumens are a measure of how much light the spotlight/flashlight makes. Candlepower is a measurement at a specific point in the beam. Therefore, you could take a Maglite and when you focus the beam from flood to spot, the lumens would stay constant while the candlepower increases. There's not really a good way to compare the two.

kevin hendrix said:
hey memebers, i just joined your group and must say your converstaion for the most part is way over my head. i don't understand the differences between lumens and candlepower, i just want to make sure i have the brightest spotlights available. i currently own a roadpro 10 million cp and a new 17.5 million cp i just brought last week at advanced auto in amelia oh, the name of the 17.5 escapes me at this time, but is only a little brighter than the 10mcp spotlight. my question is this. how do you know which lights are going to be remarkablely brighter than your previous purchases. i don't use these lights for anything other than, i've always been attracted to super brite spotlights and flashlights, and there abilities to turn night into day. look forward to reading your future post. candlehead