LED Spotlights ?

GivenRandy

Newly Enlightened
I got a 3W LED a couple months ago and love it. Occasionally, we need to use our 2million "candelpower" rechargeable for 30 seconds at a time. But, it often dies faster than we want (should last 30 minutes, often only 10 minutes, possibly "bad" battery). Are there any high-power rechargeable LED spotlights that are reasonably priced (say, under $100).

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that would be no.... they have the 5Watt.
I have a 4 watt Inova T4 lithium rechargable. It throws about 100 lumens.

LED's look brighter than they are.

By being a certain frequency, they look like a light that would be really bright if it were the same colors.

Shining straght on into someones eyes..even at great distances, looks really bright because the eyes are so sensitive to the linear type light.

I know its different, but think of a laser...

There ability to take their light and hit objects and then have that light come back is poor. Thats what you really need for a spotlight.

Trees, rocks, animals etc all take the light and absorb a bit and throw the rest back.. thats the only light you see.
Seems the LED lights just don't have enough lumens to have many electrons to throw back after hitting an object.

Don't get me wrong... my little T4 can see someone in a field at 300 yards and a small animal at 100 yards.
I love it!.. I would have a 5 Watt.. but I haven't found one that is LiIon yet..I believe those are 120 lumens or so.

So its not like we won't get there. I'm just saying they look brighter than what you really get in reflected light for your eyes to see objects etc.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are willing to spend a around $350 the check out the Elektrolumens ELX-12 6D version.

I did a review of the 20AA version a while back.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107289

The 6D version should have very similar light output, longer runtime, and the body is a little longer and narrower.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
GivenRandy said:
Are there any high-power rechargeable LED spotlights that are reasonably priced (say, under $100).

It won't throw like your incan spotlight, but the Inova T4 recommended above is a very nice light. LED, rechargeable (lithium I think), very good throw, tight spot with little or no spill, built like a tank, costs under $100.

Click here for review.

peace

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.. thats the coolest LED light I've ever seen.
It boast of 1000 lumens.
here

I just spoke with him on the phone.. he seems very nice.

He said it has about a 2 hour runtime if you use the 1200mah batteries he suggest.

The advantage of these types of lights over HID is longevity.. no ballast and instant on, instant off... no warmup needed.

I personally don't really like having to use NiMh however as the light I presently have seems useless because when I really want to use it.. its has usually been weeks when I finally want to use it and the batteries will be near dead due to the lovely nature of NiMh losing 2 - 5% a day depending on quality.

I don't want to have to charge my light everytime I want to use it just because I'm not using it every other day.

But for law enforcement, medical.. any active regular use, it would be great.

However, the batteries will need to be physically slipped out and charged in an external charger.

This guy makes alot of cool lights.....

This light is worthy of head scratching.... 3 Watt luxeon stars are really nice LED's and there is 12 in this light. The reflector is 5 inches total.
No glass to break.. all polished aluminum... maybe not as efficient, but totally bulletproof.

He did say the reason he didn't have the 5 watters in there is because they are always underran to avoid shortened life.

Heat can be an issue with these guys... my single 4 Watt Inova T4 can get surprisingly hot.

Alot of light for 350.00 bucks.. I don't think batteries are included.

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
mtbkndad said:
If you are willing to spend a around $350 the check out the Elektrolumens ELX-12 6D version.

I did a review of the 20AA version a while back.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/107289

The 6D version should have very similar light output, longer runtime, and the body is a little longer and narrower.

Take Care,

Nice review!.. lots of beamshots!

It appears the ELX-12 has tons of spill... if that could somehow be lapped up and thrown forward, it would give the 24watt a run for its money.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
windstrings said:
Nice review!.. lots of beamshots!

It appears the ELX-12 has tons of spill... if that could somehow be lapped up and thrown forward, it would give the 24watt a run for its money.

Thanks for the compliment on the review.
There is a definite trade off with 12 27mm reflectors. It does not have the tight spot of the 24 Watt HID but the flip side is that the spill is very wide and very bright. Also those 27mm reflectors catch a persons eye faster then a large reflector when shining for defensive purposes.

This is also true of the 20mm reflector lights Wayne makes. Even though the spill is a little narrower then the 27mm models, it is equally bright if not a little brighter and therefore catches the eyes of someone on the receiving end even faster.

When I had the ELX-12 on loan for the review one friend saw it and said now that is too big!, until I turned it on :D . Then came all of the comments of praise and unbelief of what he was seeing from an LED light.

Take Care,
PS. If you want to see some of Wayne's other creations- Stunner, ELX-6 20mm, and ELX-27mm. I did a review of the Stunner and put it in the review section recently.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
mtbkndad said:
Thanks for the compliment on the review.
There is a definite trade off with 12 27mm reflectors. It does not have the tight spot of the 24 Watt HID but the flip side is that the spill is very wide and very bright. Also those 27mm reflectors catch a persons eye faster then a large reflector when shining for defensive purposes.

This is also true of the 20mm reflector lights Wayne makes. Even though the spill is a little narrower then the 27mm models, it is equally bright if not a little brighter and therefore catches the eyes of someone on the receiving end even faster.

True... with my Inova T4.. it has only one 4 watt, but the whole refector and lens is designed "just" for that one bulb.. or LED, so you get a really good distance throw with very little spill thus maximizing the distance.

In order to do that with the one wayne makes with 12 LED's, you would have to somehow make the whole reflector even bigger treating all 12 leds like one bulb, or individually hone out each reflector deeper for a more directional throw.

Seems thats always been the challenge with LED's because until now, they just didn't have enough light, so you had to make the best of what you had.

That light is not a cheap piece of plastic.. but machined right out of an aluminum block it looks like.

I think if he chooses to explore going LiIon, he will be able to make his units smaller with less weight.

These would make nice weapons!

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
mtbkndad said:

If you are considering this light.. make sure you also consider the smaller K-2 Stunner.. it uses higher powered LED's but only has 8 of them to develope near the same candlepower in a smaller package that boast over 800+ lumens.
http://elektrolumens.com/K2-Stunner/K2-Stunner.html

It has 4 D cells instead of 6, so not near as long.

Looks like its on pre-order.
It cost less too... 229.00 http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
windstrings said:
If you are considering this light.. make sure you also consider the smaller K-2 Stunner.. it uses higher powered LED's but only has 8 of them to develope near the same candlepower in a smaller package that boast over 800+ lumens.
http://elektrolumens.com/K2-Stunner/K2-Stunner.html

It has 4 D cells instead of 6, so not near as long.

Looks like its on pre-order.
It cost less too... 229.00 http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi

That is a nice light, but it will not have the light output or throw of the ELX-12. It will need resistance to manage the heat generated by the K2's and the high current draw on batteries. I reviewed two prototypes, one with no resistance and one with 2ohm/LED resistance. The production models will likely have 1ohm/LED resistance.

I purchased one through the presale and am looking forward to adding it to my Elektrolumens collection. :D

Take Care,

Added Section-
I just saw Wayne's latest post, it seems like he will be using .56 ohm resistors.

Last edited: