Wolf Eyes Shark-2 16W HID review

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened
I bought from pts-flashlights.com a Wolf Eyes Shark-2 16W HID flashlight, and have been using it for about 2 weeks now. I also own a X990 but only one battery pack still works and recently I was using it to look above a drop ceiling and when I adjusted its focus the reflector front came off in my hand.
What I was looking for was a good light to go on night walks with. I'll walk 40 minutes and I wanted something that could give a good near-field illumination (but not too bright), so I was willing to sacrifice output for run-time.
This light is a little longer than a Streamlight SL-20, has adjustable focus for the HID beam, has a 5 LED tailcap beam (during twilight I run just the tailcap so cars can see something coming), and the LEDs double as a capacity indicator. When running the main beam I can check how many of the LEDs come on to see how much charge is left in the Lithium pack.
I typically have it turned to a wide focus so I can see things about 20 feet in front of me clearly (really helps to see the black widow spiders and crickets). The website rates the output as 1200 lumens. I've owned a 10W HID dive light (Underwater Kinetics) and to me that didn't put out enough light to make it useful as a task light and its focus was way too narrow to use for walkies.
At the end of the 40 minute walk I see 4 LEDs still lit. I take off the tailcap and plug in the recharger, and about 90 minutes later the red LED on the charger has turned green. I guess I'm used to the slip-in charging convenience of a Streamlight. I'd like to see a robust recharging connection for this light, not the PC-board mounted connector it has.
It stays pretty cool during the walk, the head getting merely warm and I can easily hold the head during the entire walk. It seems to take around 30 seconds to come to full brightness. The color and brightness will change a little during operation if I burn it end-up inside the house, but I don't notice it when walking outside. The bezel is glass (nice!). An errant sprinkler didn't bother it - it has O-rings on both ends and I don't see any way for water to easily get into it.
In conclusion I think it's a great light that is perfect for what I bought it for.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that Larry. It's a shame that the Wolfeyes is such a poor performer. It looks quite a bit smaller than the others though.

HIDRETAIL

Newly Enlightened
It's very stupid. So i dont recommend you all buying the light

Microfire should be better

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Scott! It's nice to see satisfied customers and a good review. :grin2: I really like the design of the Shark and the battery capacity meter is always a useful feature. Wolf Eyes has been working on improving their ballast's and your Shark has the new improved ballast, they tend to run a lot cooler now and I see you have noticed.

HIDRETAIL said:
It's very stupid. So i dont recommend you all buying the light

Microfire should be better
The Wolf Eyes Dragon has always been brighter than the Warrior K500 but the Warrior was smaller and lighter. Have you ever compared the two?
The Wolf Eyes Boxer series will be along in a couple of weeks, :touche: I can't wait. :laughing: