Klarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: B/S/T Fees ~ Part 2

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Exclamation B/S/T Fees ~ Part 2

It is after all the "atmosphere" of the "fleamarket" that is the soul of CPF
    I want to address this first because THIS is the attitude and one of the primary reasons why the discussion of fees for the Sell Forums came up with the moderators and administrators. Dawg... you've only been around for a few months so you don't and won't remember the days when there weren't even B/S/T forums on CPF and the person who first created CPF had no intentions of ever having them. He set up CPF for the discussion of flashlights and flashlight related items. Period. I was the one who pushed him into creating the B/S/T forums and then set them up. Since then, they have become a monster and your words are proof that the original intent of CPF has slowly faded away... and many "old timers" have long since gone or dropped off in their participation in the forums because of that. Alot of valuable resources to this community have been lost because of this very sentiment. I can imagine DavidW sitting back right now with a smirk saying "Told ya so"... and I would deserve it.

Contributed by PEU....

BUT, if this is not the issue and $$$ is, let me propose a structure that could be implemented very easy without hacks to the vBulletin software:

1) Forbid users with less than 4 months of registering to post new threads in BST related forums

2) give all users that comply with 1) 5 free posts per year in BST

3) if someone wants to post more new threads use this table:

$10 a year buys 5 new posts in BST areas
    $15 buys 15 posts
    $50 buys unlimited posts

I think this structure is fair for all
    and...

Contributed by bwaites...

Lurkers-No fee
    Posters-Annual fee of $12, can post but not sell.
    Members-Annual fee of $25. Can post and sell, up to 4 new sales/month, additional sales at $2.50 each.
    Business Members-Annual fee of $100, plus whatever add revenue you can generate.
    Now THIS is good stuff!!! THANK YOU!! Very organized... very constructive... pretty simple. I will not be implimenting these policies as posted but they have definately given me some ideas for a "tweeking" of my current structure.

I do have to make mention also though, of my vote for the most UNconstructive post in this thread...

... B/S/T is already dead enough IMO. No need to make things worse. Or maybe that's the intention after all.
    Brilliant....

And... as to this post of mine...

First... I see that the majority of the members who are posting in this thread and complaining about $2.50, don't have supporter icons... and a quick check shows me that they never have... hmmmmmm...
    Funny (not funny "haha"!) how different people interpret things differently. I do forget that. My bad. I'll put a post-it on my monitor to remind me.

I apologize to anyone I offended with that comment. And you all are absolutely right about what constitutes "contributing to the community". It does indeed come in many forms. And many of you have contributed more time and even more posts than I certainly have. But I guess that's where I get to wondering... if this place is so much a part of your life and you enjoy spending so much time here and sharing your knowledge and contributing to the community, why is $2.50 a month so much for you to give to help keep this place running? I don't know... maybe it's just me... but it doesn't seem alot to ask... given the amount of time and effort you yourselves put into maintaining the true spirit and intent of CPF.

Now on to the comments of this all being about lining my pockets....

My favorite post regarding that is this one contributed by Jumpmaster...

This would be an excellent solution if the problem really was to address the issue of new people joining to sell their computers and not contribute in a meaningful way in the rest of the forum areas. It's not though. It's about money.
    I love when people post stuff like this. And I especially love when they post it as fact. Girlfriend, I think you already know the whole thing about "assuming"... right? Don't assume you know what is or what is not. In this instance, you will definately end up being the ass, not me.

Back to me lining my pockets... trust me guys, if I was making enough money off of CPF to be "keeping me comfortable", I certainly wouldn't be doing such things as counting pills in the KMart pharmacy or scooping up decomposed bodies for the Medical Examiner so I can pay my electric bill and car payment... I'd be sitting right here in a custom made computer chair, fitted perfectly to my ever increasing butt because I'd have nothing better to do but eat bon-bons, direct the moderators and administrators on how to do their "job", whine when things don't go my way, and make assumptions about the intentions of others. Ahhhhh... what a life... but it certainly isn't mine... and never will be. I actually do have more ethics and principles than that.

I have locked down that other thread and for at least another day or so, the fees will not be imposed. Yes, I made a mistake in not giving more time between announcing them and wanting to impliment them. I still believe that they are fair as proposed but I will be reviewing them again anyway and taking into consideration some of the very productive suggestions that some of you have made... and sorry... but for those posts that added nothing of value whatsoever to this thread or CPF itself... I'll just be ignoring them.

Fees for the Sell Forums will be imposed. Those who have already made those donations will be credited for them accordingly. And btw... thank you all who have already paid the fees Quite honestly, I am a bit blown away by the number of you who have... considering all the fuss that has been made. If I were to count the idividuals who so vocally (and some quite rudely) expressed their opposition to the fees and compared it to those who just simply clicked on the subscribe button and moved on... well... sorry opposition... you'd lose this one.

I'll post more tomorrow.

Default Re: B/S/T Fees ~ Part 2

I like some of the suggestions for different variations on the fee structures others have posted. I, personally don't like the short time limit on the seller's fees that are currently in place. Mainly because I'm not quite the rabid poster here. (yet. )

-Ed

I guess

I still dont see how this solves the stated problem and the reasons for charging fees in the original post.

How does charging the "chaf" to post eliminate the "chaf" from posting on b/s/t and not contributing in other ways?

I thought eliminating unwanted posts would be a simple way of doing it.

Keeping up with who paid fees and when they paid them, when they expire etc will take additional work I would think.
    I thought that was another problem of the b/s/t was the additional work it was causing??

I agree that $2.50 per MONTH is not a lot of money.

I also think that the way this was going to be implemented and the reasons stated for doing it, was the main reason for people being upset/offended.

But as I stated, I guess

Flashaholic*

Personally, once I finally remembered, I always felt guilty about not doing support donations more often. I got more out of CPF, in info/lights/sales, than I had paid a fair price for. The new policy is just the extra incentive I needed to do what I knew I should have been doing all along. So I don't mind it at all. And if money's tight, I can always skip my supprt for that month.

That being said, I personally will do a monthly donation to keep up my sell permission. But I do think that the $X.xx donation for X sell threads is a good idea for the "sales only" charge. That would have less effect on the small sellers since they could use them at any time. And the people like me who often have empty wallets could "buy ahead" when times were good. Of course, it may not be practical depending on the forum software abilities. I'm sure it's much easier to time limit permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by russtang
    ....I still dont see how this solves the stated problem and the reasons for charging fees in the original post.

How does charging the "chaf" to post eliminate the "chaf" from posting on b/s/t and not contributing in other ways?.......
    I think the idea is that some people are only trying to make money off of CPF. They would be discouraged if they had to shell out money to CPF first. This would be especially true for the non-flash light related sales where they are just posting on a lot of forums and have no idea if a CPF thread would ever result in a sale. Now, if we could just figure out a way to get rid of that spammer who always posts in Trade Shows & Flashaholic Get Togethers. At least he's easy to spot there.
    Last edited by DonShock; 10-08-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Of course, it may not be practical depending on the forum software abilities. I'm sure it's much easier to time limit permissions.
    EXACTLY the issue with that suggestion! I'm not going to hack this software.

Reading through the "Part 1" thread, it seems that a good number of people that are opposed to the new fees' structure (not necessarily the fee itself, but more the reasoning and implementation) want more or less, "taxation with representation".

If it is a matter of the forum needing money, so be it. Case closed.

If it is a matter of purely detering spam and trolls, the issue is not so clear.

-Ed

Any Idea as to what level of donation will allow sales when the new policy takes effect?
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead
    Any Idea as to what level of donation will allow sales when the new policy takes effect?
    Not yet.

Is charging EVERYONE to post a sales thread going to eliminate the abusers and non-contributors from posting a sales thread?

If posts for spam, junky "flee market" items and deadbeat users, etc are the problem, Why not just DELETE THE POSTS FOR SPAM, BULLCRAP ITEMS,NON SITE-RELATED ITEMS AND BAN THE ONES THAT TRY TO ABUSE THE SYSTEM???

I know. I am wasting my time.

Fees will be charged. If you dont like it, TOUGH!

Flashaholic*

Will this fee be imposed for sales in the form of a group buy?
    What about sales in CPF's Custom & Mod B/S/T?

Flashaholic*

I've been busy recently and haven't had time to peruse this forum. I come here to see whats going on and read this fee stuff. Wow...

Tell you what, I'll pay the fee, just so I can get rid of all my expensive flashlights because it looks like this flashlight hobby is DONE.

Where did CPF go?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by litho123

Good questions. What about the so-called 'amature' modders that just use CPF as a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Datasaurusrex
    Good questions. What about the so-called 'amature' modders that just use CPF as a POS.
    I've seen more than one forum's DIY and Modding community go down the crapper and disappear when they were clamped down on.

Hate to see it happen here...

-Ed
    Small: MJP Extreme III Orb Raw Ti and NS
    Medium: Oveready Triple Copper E2e
    MJP-E3e (15-3Ostar) Surefire L4 (MC-E) LensLight Mini
    Large: Surefire M6-WA1185 M-Zep MZXR-7a

I think that he was calling it a "point of sale"

It is early in the morning here in NY, I just woke up, maybe I need another cup of coffee or Red Bull or something. I still do not have a clear understanding of what the perceived problem is, and how charging money to sell is going to fix it.

I know that a flea market is a place with many vendors, selling many different items. There is an area here on CPF for non-flashlights. Don't want to list certain items, computer parts for example, close the thread - that is easy to do. Do you want only contributors to be able to sell? Then you have to impose some kind of threshold to be able to sell here. Three months and one hundred posts or something like that.

The problem with a threshold is you will force someone who is new to this forum and has a great flashlight widget which he or she developed, that throws like crazy, and is much brighter than anything else out there not to be able to offer that widget to members. Now you are in a hybrid mode, maybe that person should be charged the $2.50 to list in the sell areas.

I do not understand how charging a $2.50 fee (or whatever) for unlimited listings for a week is going to discourage someone who is just here to sell. If that person, or business, wants to get to the CPF members, $2.50 is not going to stop him.

Sasha, in my opinion, the problem and the solution do not go together. This gives the appearance that you want to charge money to make some money. I think that is what most of the posts on the other thread are getting at.
    Last edited by will; 10-08-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Datasaurusrex
    I do not mean any disrespect or to hijack this thread in any way. Aren’t the greater majority of people here amateurs? I can do most machining work at home because I have a lathe and some other tools. If someone has a need for a simple groove- is that considered amateur? I personally would be hard pressed to figure out what is an amateur mod vs. – what – a professional mod.

Hi Sasha...

SO...
    How`s it going otherwise?

Of all the suggestions given to you recently, I like the concept of including, as at least one option, an annual fee for unlimited selling.

I don`t sell as much as a lot of other CPF`ers, but I like the idea of making one payment a year to the CPF and then being able to forget about the "sales charge" until one year later.

Best wishes to you!

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 10-08-2006 at 05:30 AM.
    Proud custodian of Tvodrd`s works of art; Peter`s Arc`s and Brass Arc AAA; Mike Jordan`s gems; some really great lights from Enrique, Fred and Tain ....and *several* of Don`s mods, Ti`s and McLux masterpieces.

Flashaholic

Sasha,

I appreciate your effort and your restraint in handling this difficult situation. You have shown yourself to be professional in your dealing over the past two days. Far too many people in power do not have the ability to say "I made a mistake" or to look at others opinions with open eyes. I found myself reading thru the posts thinking--alot of these post in and of themselves violate CPF rules, and yet you allowed more negative input to be stated than I would have and now show that you not only allowed it but were listening.

I am a little fish in a big pond but I will gladly participate when the final details are worked out. My flashlight hobby is FAR from done.

Thanks again
    How Bad Have You Got It--
    blaster,xm-2,tri-star,pentalux, K2 stunner,1166 mini-hotwire,Millermods quad star,USL, Mag610,Mag85
    ROP 2D,finned ROP LE,fenix L1P,hotwire minimag, ORB CPF, ORB raw,K2 Nexgen 1000 finned mini mag,The Torch

Like many folks here I do tend to see a red flag whenever something that was free for so long suddenly comes with a "small fee". I read many of the posts and given the subject some thought before posting. Here is my opinion if anyone is interested:

I'm ok with the fee and for any fee where there is an exchange of money involved. I did sell a few items in past weeks and felt I should have given something back to CPF for having the privilege of using the forum in such a manner. As long as the parts of this forum that involve an exchange of information, and not money, are kept fee free and instead supported by member donations and auctions and such, I won't be raising any objections.

Thank you Sasha for keeping the lights on.

Now I'll go back to sucking up more bandwidth

LowBat and others make a good point; being able to use CPF BST is a privelege. When it is free of charge, it is more attractive than all other places to sell. When there is a small fee everyone will go to ebay, which also has a small fee (depending on the item sold) but a much larger audience.

I am not happy about it, but i think i understand the logic. A simple, unsophisticated but effective method of reducing sales in BST. Unfortunatly, I dont think it will do much to deter the people who join to sell; just all the good members here who sell little things that are not worth the fee.

Too bad

Here is an idea: why not make BST hidden to non-members? If peple dont see it, they wont join and abuse it.

Flashaholic*

I think PEU is on the right track.
    These rules would discourage the casual/junk sales and would encourage participents to be part of the community.

Serving a 'time' apprenticeship minimizes the 'sellers only' who have no interest in contributing to the forum in general.As with all apprenticeships it should be coupled to some reward (read entitlement) at the end of that period which should increase with time/involvement.

That would be a starting point and it wouldn't hurt for members to police what they thought was appropriate to this forum. I'm sure there are many items that cause you to shake your head!

Karl

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Exclamation Re: B/S/T Fees ~ Part 2

No.
    Not at this time.

I find that once again, I have used a term that I felt would be understood by all but hasn't been. "Flea Market". I've thought back to some of the places I've lived and I remember now that in some of those places, a flea market was actually an indoor place where people sold their things which ranged anywhere from a beautiful antique, cherrywood oval picture frame, to an old hand-crank meat grinder that attached to the kitchen counter, to some old baby clothes that were ripped and torn and stained, to that one little piece of your old Mr. Coffee machine that you need to keep yours running. And all of these things at prices that could be considered a steal and if you negotiate with the seller, you can probably get it for free. In some places I've lived, this would be called a "Swap Meet" and even a "Junk Shop". And in yet other places, these type of places would be outdoors on Saturdays and Sundays only and only during the summer months.

In ALL of the instances that I have just mentioned, the seller has had to pay a "rental" fee to the owner of the building or property for "booth space" simply because they are using another person's platform or venue to sell their "wares". The fee is paid for a certain amount of space for a certain amount of time, usually by the month.

So in retrospect, the term I should have used is "Garage Sale" or "Yard Sale". That is where you put your stuff in your own garage or yard and sell it... and you don't have to pay any fees to anyone.

There ARE guidelines and restrictions already in place for what items are considered acceptable to be sold on CPF. Those guidelines are posted in an Announcement thread at the top of each B/S/T forum for both Lights and Non~Lights. The current "guideline" for Non~Lights is "This forum is strictly for the buying, selling and/or trading of light related products, ie. batteries, lanyards, holsters, battery holders etc. and items that would be discussed in the Knives/Multi-tools/Watches/Gadgets/Non-flashlight Electronics forum by non-dealers and non-manufacturers." Agreed... it is a little vague due to what you feel fits into the category of Multi-tools, Gadgets and Non-flashlight Electronics. In all honesty, we (the moderators and administrators) didn't think this had to be any more specific than that. We figured that members would use common sense seeing as how this IS a flashlight forum. More specific rules will be drawn up and posted soon and yes, they are going to be more strictly enforced now. Ashtrays and earrings (for example) are not acceptable items. Know what I mean?

There was a comment made in a thread in the Underground that the types of threads that I would refer to as "flea market" types... (now corrected to be referred to from now on as "garage sale" types)... are not that many. This comment was followed up on by Sigman who posted "...that's because we try to keep the "flea market" items weeded out, thus you wouldn't see most of them. " (And before any of you get the bright idea to slap my wrist for referencing and quoting something from the Underground... don't do it!) Sigman is correct... there is alot of work involved in keeping up with the weeding out and you all never even see the majority of the stuff I am referring to. The fact of the matter is that it is way too much work for the moderators and administrators. Especially given that there ARE policies and guidelines posted and it's obvious that they haven't even been looked at. I consider that to be blatant abuse of CPF.

How will requiring a fee to post sales cut down on this type of thing? Well... in my opinion (and also that of most of the moderators and administrators), it will show a commitment and willingness on the part of the sellers to support the very platform that they are using to sell their wares. And yes, because it is an "extra step", it will cut down on the garage sale type threads where someone comes in and with their very first post, they throw up a sales thread that clearly goes against the guidelines and policies and they don't even stick around to monitor the thread and they are never heard from again... unless of course it's in a Jeers thread, which happens more often than not. Requiring that extra step and minimal fee actually will cut down on this because as some of you have said, it's too much of a hassle for you so you won't bother with it and won't use CPF to sell your stuff. You have already proven my case just with your comments.

Ok... I need to take a break. I have more to add... but it will have to wait until I get some more coffee in me.

I am happy to see that the custom B/S/T is not included.

Sasha - I just read your post above - I still think the issue is somewhat cloudy. That is probably because I do not know how many first time sellers there are. and secondly - what items they are trying to sell..

( I have been trying to post this edit for the last few minutes - Server busy - )
    Last edited by will; 10-08-2006 at 09:32 AM.

The way I read the original post and understood it was the fees were meant to control the "out of control flea market like atmosphere". That's what I read.

We all know now that was a lie or whatever you would like to spin it as.

If you just came out and stated that this forum would require a yearly, monthly, weekly, daily membership due to upkeep/lurkers/preservation of the forum's intent I truley think you would have gotten ZERO resistance.

However looking back at how the original post was constructed and how it was meant to be a money grab you rubbed a lot of members the wrong way. Like most things, throwing money at a "problem" really doesn't fix it.Thanks to the MEMBERS who spoke up and actually suggested a solution that is going to implemented that ended being the original intent, generating money.

No member here is so ignorant that they don't understand the financial aspect of this or any other forum, next time please think twice before you assume we are.

I'm done.

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Quote Originally Posted by AshA4
    The way I read the original post and understood it was the fees were meant to control the "out of control flea market like atmosphere". That's what I read.

We all know now that was a lie or whatever you would like to spin it as.

If you just came out and stated that this forum would require a yearly, monthly, weekly, daily membership due to upkeep/lurkers/preservation of the forum's intent I truley think you would have gotten ZERO resistance.

However looking back at how the original post was constructed and how it was meant to be a money grab you rubbed a lot of members the wrong way. Like most things, throwing money at a "problem" really doesn't fix it.Thanks to the MEMBERS who spoke up and actually suggested a solution that is going to implemented that ended being the original intent, generating money.

No member here is so ignorant that they don't understand the financial aspect of this or any other forum, next time please think twice before you assume we are.

I'm done.
    WOW! .... Had to preserve that one! It definately just replaced my previous vote for favorite post regarding assuming. Sorry JM...

Thanks that's my first acknowledgment for favorite post!

Let me add to my assumption -

What makes CPF what it is? The members do. You give us a place to come together but if this place wasn't here would we all go away? No.

Let's look at it like this, again adding to my assumption -

Someone comes here and posts something for sale be it spam or something not allowed in the rules, who is it that corrects it? The Mods or members that report that illegal content. Maybe that new member with 1 post paid the fee but it didn't clean up the "flea market atmosphere" did it, didn't think so.

If you are calling me an "ass" then do it. If you are after a membership fee than implement it. Don't be so smug to call a fart perfume and expect us to take a big whiff with smiles.

Hugs & kisses.

**edit** Now where do I send PP?

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Quote Originally Posted by AshA4
    Thanks that's my first acknowledgment for favorite post!

Let me add to my assumption -

What makes CPF what it is? The members do. You give us a place to come together but if this place

wasn't here would we all go away? No.

Let's look at it like this, again adding to my assumption -

Someone comes here and posts something for sale be it spam or something not allowed in the rules,

who is it that corrects it? The Mods or members that report that illegal content. Maybe that new

member with 1 post paid the fee but it didn't clean up the "flea market atmosphere" did it, didn't think

so.

If you are calling me an "ass" then do it. If you are after a membership fee than implement it. Don't be

so smug to call a fart perfume and expect us to take a big whiff with smiles.

Hugs & kisses.

**edit** Now where do I send PP?

Hey, don't worry about the PP... You're not going to be around for at least a week to use it

anyway.... Hugs & kisses...

Sasha, glad you liked the suggestions I made. Now, let me ask you a simple question:

why you don't put the banners again? That will greatly improve CPF finances.

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Chucula
    Unfortunatly, I dont think it will do much to deter the people who join to sell; just all the good members here who sell little things that are not worth the fee.

Too bad

Here is an idea: why not make BST hidden to non-members? If people dont see it, they wont join and abuse it.
    Simple solution right there...

Personally I don't agree with this selling fee and I feel it will do no good in the end.

However I think CPF is a great place and I will continue to hang out and pay the fee if I want to sell. Again, personally it wont effect me much as I don't sell anything at the moment.

I would much prefer to (and do) make contributions via CPF benefit auctions and sales.

I would be happier to donate even more if the forum ran fast all the time, the email notifications worked properly and the clock stayed on time. (I don't want to discuss any of these points in detail as this is not the place and they have all been done to death before)

As others have said, this isn't a members forum its Sasha's forum and if we don't like that fact then we don't have to come here.

I am a member of a lot of other forums and most of them are technically more reliable and are free. However I don't think any of them, except maybe one, has anywhere near the wealth of knowledge or inventiveness that members show here. It would be a great pity if that spirit was lost or dispersed over a number of other forums.

Hey but then what do I know?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast