LED purchasing advice...

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I'm still pretty new here postwise, but I do enjoy lurking around fairly often. I see that many of you have your prefered lights or brands and enjoy suggesting them to others. Heres your chance. I have worked up a set of criteria that I am looking for but haven't been able to really find something that works yet. What would you suggest.

My ideal light at the moment is a 1x123 light (or other similar size) with dual output, FULL regulation (I like the graphs of Fenix lights on rechargables) using preferably a Lux III. Huge Runtime on low is a MUST and I'd like around an hour on High somewhere in the 50+ lm range. I am likely to run on Titanium Primaries because if the runtime is good enough I wouldn't be able to make up the price for several years. My budget is sitting around the $65 range. Is there anything out there that fills my "need"?

WIJLY

Newly Enlightened
Umm, sounds like a pretty tight criteria . . i am not sure if you will find a 1 cr123 light thats LED thats got dual output levels i would suggest that you get 2 lights as i do. i have a generic 3W light (1 cr123 that lasts for 1.5 hours and dies and has a long range.
I also have a new Silverpoint ST101 Auro I LED Torch which runs off 1 AA battery and is almost as good as my 3W luxeon . . but its a slightly righter beam and not as much spill quite as the 3W. I would class my 3W as being a surefire P-61 and my Silverpoint ST101 Auro I LED Torch as being a Surefure P60. pluss the Silverpoint ST101 Auro I LED Torch lasts for 1.5 hours on full and lasts for 4.5 hours more with good light.

I prefer to have 2 lights (3 actually) because 1, you got more light than you need and different lights for different jobs . . i would suggest a nice 1 cr123 light for good power and a smaller 1 AA light for cheapness and good power which the Silverpoint ST101 Auro I LED Torch has power in abundance which i was absolutly flabbergasted when i saw it, and this is with a 60 min burn in and the light i get every time i use it is impressive everyt ime even when i compare it to my 3W

Hope this helps you. Also another benefit of having 2 lights is you can lend one out as i infrequently do, and not rob myself of light if i happened to need it same time

WG

carrot

Flashaholic
Fenix L2T with optional CR123 body? I can't really think of anything else that might meet the criteria...

Sable

Enlightened
Seconding the idea of a Fenix L2T with a CR123A body, once 4sevens gets them in - I think I heard November on this? The L2T does have a low/high mode, and while I'm not sure if the "55 lumens" figure is accurate, I have heard that it's screaming bright nonetheless.

I have it on the "to order" list, sometime after my GatLight shows up, I think. But it sounds like just what you'd like. Can anyone comment on L2T "low" runtime? I know some of you out there have modded the old L2P 123A body to fire an L2T...

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T/123 would fit the bill nicely but I haven't been seeing them on Fenix-Store for a while. If more are coming back I might wait until then.

A gatlight would be just about my perfect light but I don't see myself having 3 digits of expendable cash for the next several decades!

As far as puchasing 2 lights goes though, I already have a small selection of lights. Mostly a Brinkmann Maxfire LX and a Eddie Bauer branded LED Lenser with 5 white and 1 red 5mm LEDs running off from 3xAAA. I am looking for something to fill in the gap, be pocketable, and a fully regulated Luxeon (though Cree would work too). I just don't have the budget for a superlight.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does look to be quite adequate. I however (like a n00b) cannot seem to find any info on price. What would something like that run? Is it still available? I did see references to the creator no longer belonging to CPF. Is there still any method for contact?

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here's the pricing info on the McLuxIII-PD:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/58234

Size comparison:
McLuxIIIsize.jpg

Another one ... this time with new clip and titanium bezel ring:
McLuxIIIfamily.jpg

Runtime on high:
McLuxIII-PD-Wiz2x2-500.jpg

On low you get about 40 hours, it is driven at 30mA.

Depending on the bin of the LED you will *roughly* have 50 lumens, give or take a few.

The ti version with ti bezel and new clip :
McTi-PDskullsmall.jpg

bernie

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sable said:
I know some of you out there have modded the old L2P 123A body to fire an L2T...
if there is a 123A body for the L2P, then just do a 7.5 or 10 Ohms "head mod" to the head and use this body.
head turn for on --> low --> high

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Surefire L1 -

One of the best single cell 123 lights for throw. A two stage high low tail cap
switch with a run time of 1 hr. 58 minutes on high. From what I've read it can
go for more than 70 hours on low. Small enough to easily fit in the pocket for
EDC. Type III anodize coating for durability. Pyrex lens system. This light has
excellent throw and is tough as a brick poop house and can be had for less
than $100.00. It also has Surefires life time warranty.

Love mine and use it as an EDC for on the job .............. :naughty:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
Fenix L2T with optional CR123 body? I can't really think of anything else that might meet the criteria...

That's the first thing that popped to my mind.

They should be returning next month. At least that was from the last update by neko.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2T is the only think I can think of as well. There are rumors of a 3 level P1 coming down the pike.. Maybe you can hold off a bit? Buy a L0P-SE to satisfy you addictive hunger? You know...to hold you over.

Ken

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 Level P1? Where might I find these rumors to check out for myself? That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Too bad I have to go to China to get it. As far as the Surefire L1 goes, I have been considering one of those but I personally have been alienated by Surefire and would rather stay away from them. I do have to say though that style of switching is probably my favorite out there. That's why the McLuxIII-PD was so intriguing. I also don't really think the L1 is bright enough for what I am looking for, nor is the regulation quite as pure as some other brands.