Need info on Peak Baltic Super Ultra Power

Spordin

Enlightened
Have found bits of info on the Baltic on various threads here, but nothing that nails it down. Here's what I understand: You have to call Peak and order the Baltic in one of several versions.

I'm interested in the Baltic Super Ultra Power 1AAA. I've read that Peak discourages this version and recommends the next one down instead (Ultra Power?). Why would that be? I haven't seen any beam shots or runtime info on the Super Ultra Power 1AAA. Any input on this? What do you think of the light? How long would the Super Ultra run on alkalines vs. lithiums? Is there a noticeable difference in output between the Super Ultra and the Ultra models? Beam shots?

blademan

Enlightened
My ultra power Baltic was as bright as my high power Pacific. For the super ultra version it's recommended that you use only rechargeables because alkaline just will not handle the power. I have never seen a super versus an ultra but when I ordered Peak claimed 230 cp from a super and about 170 from an ultra.

Spordin

Enlightened
Thanks! So if want to be able to use alkaline (which I do), then I should order the Ultra Power instead. Since the only AAA light I have is an Arc-P, how does output from the Baltic Ultra 1AAA compare to that of the Arc?

What kind of runtime should I expect from the Ultra (not Super) model on alkalines & lithiums? Any beamshots or pix of the Baltic out there?

This light sounds pretty interesting :whistle:

nocturnal

Newly Enlightened
Spordin said:
Thanks! So if want to be able to use alkaline (which I do), then I should order the Ultra Power instead. Since the only AAA light I have is an Arc-P, how does output from the Baltic Ultra 1AAA compare to that of the Arc?

What kind of runtime should I expect from the Ultra (not Super) model on alkalines & lithiums? Any beamshots or pix of the Baltic out there?
There's a lot of information, pictures and beamshots in this Baltic thread in the Peak subforum.

From personal experience, I'd recommend NiMH rechargeables instead of alkalines even for the Ultra power Baltic. The only alkaline I've ever run in mine was the one that came with the light (so maybe that battery was a dud), but I noticed it dimming after about half an hour of itermittent use already. In contrast, I get about 1 hour 20 minutes of constant brightness before the light drops out of regulation with NiMH rechargeables (Sanyo 1000mAh), and another hour of usable light (gradually dimming) thereafter.

The Peak Baltic Ultra power has way more total output than the Arc-P, probably more similar to the Fenix L0P (see the linked thread). Even the high power version (one step below ultra) has more total output than an Arc-P (you may compare Flashlightreviews' total output number for the Arc-P with that for the Peak Pacific, which according to Peak uses the same circuit and LED, but a different reflector so that the Baltic has less throw, but the same total output than a Pacific at the same power level).

Spordin

Enlightened
Oh man I totally spaced about the Peak forum. Gracias

This does appear to be a very interesting little light :rock:

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
I like mine. In the 2AAA body, it is the best shirt pocket light -ever.- All of the scientists and doctors I work with positively drool over it.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightIdeaOSU said:
I like mine. In the 2AAA body, it is the best shirt pocket light -ever.- All of the scientists and doctors I work with positively drool over it.

I really like my stainless super ultra power with 2AAA body and momentary tail switch. The head gets very warm when using it but it is pulling a lot of power. Then I convert it to 1AAA with momentary tail switch and slide it in the little side pocket on my Leatherman Charge Ti holster. A bright little tank on 1000mAH NiMH