Olight

Thread: How do you get a stuck battery out of a mini-mag?

Unenlightened

Question How do you get a stuck battery out of a mini-mag?

I just picked up an old mini-mag at my folk's house and the batteries had leaked. How do you get the stuck battery out of it without damaging the body? The battery is stuck by the head and I have tried banging the body, and using a screwdriver to unstick it.

Default Re: How do you get a stuck battery out of a mini-mag?

have you tried spraying some WD40 inside, to see if it will loosen the battery.

regards.

John.
    Intellicharge i4 - LaCrosse BC-900 - MaHa C9000 - Charge Manager 2010 - Vanson Speedy Box - Accumanger 10 and 20 -Thunder AC6
    Solar - GoalZero Nomad 7 + Guide10 - Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger

Throw it away and buy a Fenix L2P that will NEVER fail on you!

Hows that guys?

Unenlightened

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try the WD40 first and if that doesn't work, I may keep the usable parts for spares, then buy something new.

If you have to pitch it, you may want to consider the new Mini Mag 3AA LED, it seems to be getting a whole lot of positive talk for an inexpensive and easy to acquire light.
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

I had that exact situation with a 4D MagLite, It spent a winter in the trunk of a vehicle, unused.

I beat it on the ground and eventually they came out.

But the body was ruined.

So was the insides.

So was the focusing.

I am going to do a Nite Ize conversion, since it costs so little

Flashaholic*

Get some 99% pure pork lard and heat it to 178 F and then pour it all around the battery and wait for it to run down between the battery and the body. This should release the batteries grip on the tube. Oh, and welcome to CPF.
    Last edited by fnmag; 10-12-2006 at 07:42 PM.

You can drill it out if your careful. Use a 1/8 bit and take your time, drill several holes
    until most of the center is loose and then use a punch or screwdriver for the rest.
    Shouldn't take too long, remember to mark your drill bit so you don't drill to far. I've
    done this several times and it usually work's well, just be patient and take your time.
    If it doesn't work a new LED minimag............
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

chances are the inside will be ruined if the acid's gone out enough to jam the batteries in. same thing happened before to me. even if you get it out, you'll find patches on the inside corroded, making it hard to insert new batteries even if you got the old ones out.
    Somy Nex

I had the same problem with a Mini-Mag five years ago. I contacted Maglite via e-mail, and they informed me that they have contracts with Duracell, Eveready, and Ray-o-Vac and would warranty the light if one of those brands caused the damage. I mailed it back to Maglite and they shipped me a new one at no charge. If you can identify the battery, Maglite should take care of it for you.
    Who knows...

I learned a lesson from my experience with leaking 4D:

1) Do not leave Lights in your vehicle for the entire winter

2) Do not leave cells in any flashlight for a long time, especially if you don't use it. Take them out.

3) If they leak and stay there for a long time, especially doing the freeze/defrost cycles, it's probably ruined, although you can beat on the
    ground and get the cells out. I ruined the thread doing that. Then it's truly a lite you can toss in the back of the pickup truck or give someone truly desperate.

4) All brands leak under these misused conditions. All sizes leak too.

Well I guess sucking it out would be a bad idea... How about drilling a hole in it and using a corkscrew?

Wink Re: How do you get a stuck battery out of a mini-mag?

unscrew the tailcap, take off the bezel, temporarily remove the "do not remove cap under the bulb....then push down with something blunt on the inner plastic [bulb holder]

Quote Originally Posted by york2
    I just picked up an old mini-mag at my folk's house and the batteries had leaked. How do you get the stuck battery out of it without damaging the body? The battery is stuck by the head and I have tried banging the body, and using a screwdriver to unstick it.
    I once got a freebie Minimag with leaked batteries stuck inside. I removed the plastic thing on the top that says "DO NOT REMOVE". Soaked the thing in a bucket of warm water, then I punched out the batteries with a dowel.

I got the batteries out, but I couldn't get the plastic parts from the head back together correctly so I threw it out. A new Minimag is about $10, so anymore effort is not worthwhile.

Throw it out and get a new Minimag or pay some more and get a Minimag LED. The 2AA if you want something closer in size to original Minimag. The 3AA if you want something REALLY bright (for someone used to regular Minimag...), but awekwardly long.

You beat me to the punch... I was going to say "Scrap it and buy a light that is worth the effort" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by spacetroll

Hows that guys?

Quote Originally Posted by spacetroll

Hows that guys?
    If he wants to pay $45 shipped for an L2T or an L2P when he can get a 3AA Mini MagLED for $20 or 2AA MiniMag LED for $24.

Flashaholic*

Saw off the front end of the light, salvage the bezel, reflector, switch and tailcap for spare parts, throw away the rest, then buy a new MM.

You can try soaking and pushing out the internals with a dowel, but if that doesn't work then it isn't worth the effort to salvage it when you consider how inexpensive a new one is.
    Pel. M6 LED, SL TL-2 LED, TL-3 Xenon, Scorpion, Inova X5, SharperImage Luxeon, Gerber Infinity, Petzl Tikka, 2C Mag 3x123 KPR112, 2D Mag 7xAA KPR118, Nuwai QIII, TM115, TM311, 3rd_shift Luxeon 3C Magmod, Solitaire Luxeon, MiniMag MJLED,Mag85, MagLed 2D.

Flashaholic*

put it into the freezer over night. If lucky enough, this might press the batt a bit and/or loosen the mess inside.
    Let it come to temperature (or better heat it with a hair dryer).
    Try to get it out now (beat it into a not too hard surface like wood not to damage the body or, finally, remove the "do not remove" plastic and try to push out)

the idea of th 2aa-mag-led has been mentionned, but I would also get a fenix (I have both Magleds, and dont like them).
    L2T / L2S if You want 2 levels (imho everything else than 2 levels at least makes no sense), or L2P and do the "head mod" for YOUR version of the low level

Unenlightened

I had the same problem. I found a long wood screw that could reach the battery (an eye bolt would work even better) and then drilled a hole in the end of the battery to screw into. Using a pair of vice grips on the screw, I was able to twist the battery out of the flashlight. Actually, I twisted the battery out of it's wrapper, as it was the wrapping that was stuck to the inside of the flashlight. After thoroughly cleaning the inside of the flashlight, I found that new batteries would not fit as the inside wall was slightly corroded, so I used a dremel to grind the surface back down.

Good luck!

It happened to me so many years ago.
    I pushed a tight fit battery into minimag, it stuck.
    A permanent marker pen "tail" glued the end of battery with crazy AA glue.
    Then turn the marker pen slowly, not pull. It worked in this case.

Originally Posted by spacetroll

Hows that guys?
    How does the brand of the flashlight have anything to do with batteries leaking? Just because its a Fenix does that mean that alkaline batteries won't leak in it? Alkaline batteries will leak and bulge no matter what brand of flashlight they are in. It says right there in the Mag's instructions to not leave batteries in the light for extended periods of time. If its necessary to leave the batteries in the light it says to inspect the light every 3 months for signs of leakage.
    Surefire 9N, SL TT 2L, SL Scorpion, SL TL2 LED, PT Tec40, PTQuest, and a few more.

I searched and searched for a lost MiniMag. I finally found it, but to my dismay the alkalines inside spewed their guts.

I called the battery manufacturer and patiently explained the situation to them, and they are cutting me a check and sending new cells.

I already knew this, and had I not temporarily lost the light (put it in a really safe place), I would have removed the cells for storage.

Moral of the Story?

1) Don't leaves alkalines in lights unless you check them once a month
    2) Remember what brand cells they were so you can call the manufacturer if something unfortunate does occur
    "...and the diode multiplied and grew in brightness. And God saw that it was good."

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    I searched and searched for a lost MiniMag. I finally found it, but to my dismay the alkalines inside spewed their guts.

I called the battery manufacturer and patiently explained the situation to them, and they are cutting me a check and sending new cells.

I already knew this, and had I not temporarily lost the light (put it in a really safe place), I would have removed the cells for storage.

Moral of the Story?

2) Remember what brand cells they were so you can call the manufacturer if something unfortunate does occur
    I think it should be, don't use alkalines in lights at all!

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post

Moral of the Story?

Even once a month doesn't prevent damage but it would most likely prevent stuckage. I have had cells that I checked and a month later they had spewed big time and I had to almost use a slide hammer to remove them.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I had a Mini with a stuck battery about a month ago. I got it out (of my system) by throwing it away and buying something better.
    "I see the light, drill sergeant!"

Unenlightened

This thread is old but I just found it and it seems to me someone else with this issue might find it in the future as well so I'm going to post my experience here. I agree with those who have suggested removing the "Do Not Remove" part and then pushing the part underneath it. My Mini Maglite had a corroded battery stuck in it and what I was able to do is remove the bulb cap, remove the bulb, and then remove the plastic part underneath that says "Do Not Remove" (incidentally, the way I removed it is by just pulling it straight out). Once that was out, I was able to push down hard on the part underneath and it then pushed the corroded battery out (I used a screwdriver for this). I had worked on the battery from the other side and maybe that loosened it up but the key point is that it didn't come out until I was able to push from the top and I wasn't able to do that until I removed the "Do Not Remove" part. When you first get that "Do Not Remove" part off, you'll see that the part underneath has a silver metal tab on it; when you push this part in order to push the battery, it may come out the other side with the battery and if it does, this silver metal tab may pop off. In my case, this happened and at first I didn't realize it and so when I put the Mini back together, it wouldn't work. I looked at my other Mini and saw the issue (the metal tab was missing on the one that wouldn't work) and I searched around and fortunately I was able to find the silver metal tab and I was able to put it back where it belonged and have the flashlight start functioning again. So if the metal tab does pop off, it shouldn't be a big deal to put it back where it goes when you're putting the flashlight back together--but just make sure you don't lose it!

Speaking of putting the flashlight back together: I think it will be pretty obvious how you put all this back together but just in case, I'll explain it here. You're going to first need to clean out the inside of the flashlight shaft and remove any corrosion or battery labels that are there. Then you put that part I mentioned above back in; you'll of course need to have that silver metal tab in its proper place. It can be a little tricky to get that part in place but keep working at it and you'll get it. Then you need something to push that part to the top of the tube; I recommend just using the batteries with a little extra pressure from your little finger. Once you have that part held to the top of the tube, take the "Do Not Remove" part and press it back into place. Then put the bulb back in. Then screw the cap back on. Finally, Then screw the bottom back onto the flashlight (you could do this before putting on the "Do Not Remove" part and it would give you good pressure for the part at the top of the tube, but I prefer to use my finger for better pressure) and your flashlight should be working properly!

jladams97,
    Welcome to cpf.
    Nice instructional first post. Good job!

Because you posted this, the thread became active again, and I happened to read through it.
    Personally I have only had one flashlight ruined by batteries, I don't know if they were alkalines, or standard zinc/carbon, but it got me thinking. A baking soda/ water mixture is often recommended for car battery terminals, I wonder if it would work on leaked alkaline batteries.

Hydrogen Peroxide. Get the strongest mixture you can, check for a 90% mix at some Beauty Supply Warehouse nearby. You want better than the 50% that is sold at most drug stores. Find a suitable container to prevent spills. Submerge flashlight into Hydrogen Peroxide or pour it down the battery tube. Wait. The chemical reaction will dissolve the leaking battery goo. Push out leaking batteries with a pen or dowel rod, almost anything thing thin and long will do. As noted above, the battery tube may be so corroded, it will be useless. Plan B: Send to Maglite for free repair. Most likely they will just replace the light.
    Be a Light In the Universe

Default How do you get a stuck battery out of a mini-mag?

Umm, I think your decimals are in the wrong places. 50% H2O2 is a very strong oxidizer and damages skin quickly (I know from experience) and is not sold in stores (used in laboratories and industrial settings) and 90% is concentrated enough to use as rocket propellant. Guaranteed not to be at any store you go to. Consumer grade H2O2 is 3-6%.

You are quite correct! Here is a link to the SUMMATION of leaking battery threads found on CPF, courtesy of Norm: https://www.google.com/search?q=leak...owerforums.com
    Be a Light In the Universe