emergency lantern for power outages

arty

Enlightened
Any suggestions for a durable, long run-time lantern for power outages?
I have a couple of inexpensive flourescents, but run time is limited.
I don't want to spend lots of bucks, but do want reasonable quality.
I'd like to keep it under about $50-$60.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
I guess it really comes down to how much light you want and for how long.... I had a couple of 4D incandescent lanterns that I put the Nite-Ize LED drop-in's into. Not the brightest, but will run for a LONG......time. I also have flourescent lanterns for when I need more light.

Canuke

Enlightened
If you need more light, there are Jeep branded lights that Fry's sells for about $50 if you have one nearby.

These look like Thors with a fluorescent bulb in them. Runtime is marked as 7 hours on the box; assuming the same 7Ah lead acid battery as the Thor, that means one amp drawx12V = 12 watts power usage. Flourescent bulbs usually are about 3-4x more efficient than incandescent, so that means its overall output tops out to the equivalent of a 60 watt household incandescent bulb. With the reflector, it means all of that goes in one direction (more or less) so it would be very bright for, say, a work light in your garage.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
For less than $50, buy 2 rechargeable Coleman fluorescent lanterns that can recharge off of your car's lighter. Charge one while you use the other.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite is 49 led 3AA

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/2mode-3xaa-p-387.html

Lights up a room "brilliantly"

RT 4 hours on high 49 leds

RT 7 hours on low 12 leds

Runs for much longer dimmer

And don't forget that old faithful, the older SMJLED PR2's, RT 15 hours.

And of course the Safelight Superbrights, RT 20-40 hours. 100 on dim.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
arty said:
Any suggestions for a durable, long run-time lantern for power outages?
I have a couple of inexpensive flourescents, but run time is limited.
I don't want to spend lots of bucks, but do want reasonable quality.
I'd like to keep it under about $50-$60.

How about one of the freeplay lights from Target? They have a crank lantern.

Edit: It can be recharged to full capacity from the wall and I think it has a car adapter.

dchao

Enlightened
My favorite is still the Energizer Folding Flourescent Lantern, 40 hours on 1-tube, smooth and flood beam to light up the whole room.

Lightmania

Enlightened
I just want to comment on the suggestion by glockboy in his post #4. This one is a very good light. We have a few of these for our sailboat and have found them to be very functional mostly due to their small size. We even hosted this light up the mast when our anchor light failed at one time. This light lasted all night and the next night and the next night after, lol. (anchor light is on top of the sailing mast and is suppose to be on at night when at anchored.)

Also, when a hurricane hit us last year knocking out the power and our house went dark, we had one in the bathroom, one was in the kitchen, etc. The lantern wasn't a whole lot of illumination (when compare to the 60 watts house lightbulb) but it was enough to see what was going on -- and the best part was how long they lasted until the return of power after four days. (the battery did get changed maybe once or twice.)

very useful light.

Lightmania

Last edited:

dw51

Enlightened
Lightmania,

I'm not getting anything to come up on post #4. Can you give me another link for that light. Thanks.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't expect too much from a 2+ year old thread.

If you don't mind an ugly beam there are some good options from Coleman that use 4AA's or 4D's.

Last edited:

bb56

Newly Enlightened
There is a new power failure light from Intermatic that replaces wall switches and receptacles. There are several models in the EL series (Emergency Light) called the EL100, EL200, EL300. Very bright during a power failure and the night light can be switched off. Nothing to stick out of the wall - pretty cool way to light up a room during a power failure. They are bright enough to be certified to be pathway marking lights.

I know this is a two year old thread, but I just came across it.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I wouldn't expect too much from a 2+ year old thread.

If you don't mind an ugly beam there are some good options from Coleman that use 4AA's or 4D's.

I have the 4D lantern. The "night light" mode is plenty bright and you don't really need to use the low or high modes. So you should get excellent runtime. The top part collapses down into the bottom for storage. 6" versus 9 1/4" extended. You can get it for $25 at Walmart.

Want to get the 4AA model, but the price is more than I want to spend. I already have a couple of the older River Rock 4AA lanterns.

cl0123

Enlightened
I just bought 3 of these from the CPFMarketPlace. They are small but surprisingly bright. Hope it helps.

During the last blackout, I broke out my GE Steelbeam lantern from the unopened package and it worked just fine.
solar2008122901.jpg

With Aloha,

Clarence

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
I have one of these.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00168QAGS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Haven't had a chance to use it in a power out yet (which is why
I bought it) but it gives off enough light to read by, and it's fairly
well made. I like it, and would recommend it :grin2: (cheap too!!)

I'm glad someone rejuvenated this thread, spring storm season is
coming, and we do get power outs, sometimes they last all night.

Being the flashaholic that I am, I love power outs! :grin2:

rs.led

Newly Enlightened
preparedness packages, emergency corpuscle buzz chargers, emergency radios, solar powered radios and crank radios, emergency flashlights, solar powered lanterns. These attending like Thors with a beaming ball in them. Runtime is apparent as 7 hours on the box; bold the aforementioned 7Ah advance acerbic array as the Thor, that agency one amp drawx12V = 12 watts ability usage. Flourescent bulbs usually are about 3-4x added able than incandescent, so that agency its all-embracing achievement acme out to the agnate of a 60 watt domiciliary beaming bulb.