Ok Fenix guys, and gals...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was asked today by a friend who is considering Fenix what the big differences are between the L1P, L1S, L1T, and Civictor Fenix models. Not being a big Fenix fan I do know the L1P is a single stage light, and the other two are dual stage lights, all using 1 AA battery and the Civictor is a twisty where the others are clickies. That said what are the difference in runtimes, lumens, throw etc., finish. I do not see much difference between the L1S and L1T, what is the difference there?

Thanks in advance.

C4LED

Enlightened
The L1P and the Civictor V1 use the same circuit from what I've read. The Civictor is shorter and easier to carry.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
L1 (hard to find now) standard 1 watt Luxeon, glass lens (no AR coating) HAII
L1P; Premium R-Binned 1 watt Luxeon, glass lens with antireflective coating, Hard Anodized (Ano type 3)
L1S; 1 watt Lux (non premium), glass lens-no AR coat, HAII ano
L1T; 3 watt Premium Lux, coated glass lens, HA (Type 3 Ano) High/Low power settings (slap a 10-ohm 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor in the tailcap and you get 3 power levels)
Civictor V1 a twisty L1 (basic 1 watt Lux, HAII, no AR lens coating)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not see much difference between the L1S and L1T, what is the difference there?

L1T has HAIII finish, 3 watt, T-bin LED.

L1S is just "anodised" (type II coating?), 1 watt R-bin LED (and looks pig-fugly IMHO).

Civictor apears to be type II anodising with 1 watt ?-bin LED...and is a great little light for the money...one of my favorites.

CFU

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Well, the L1T is Fenix's(current) top of the line single AA light. The L1P is an earlier version. The same quality casing and lens, but a with a Luxeon I only one light level. The L1S is a cost-reduced version of the L1T. It is a lesser quality, but (IMO) the price reduction isn't enough to justify what you sacrifice. The V1 Convictor is designed to be cost-reduced and also smaller. But (IMO) the slight reduction in length(.32") doesn't justify losing two-level. And the slight difference in cost($2.75) doesn't justify what you'd lose not going with an L1S. If you want to go with the cheaper light, I'd pick the L1S. But if you don't mind spending $11 more, you get a much better light. And $11 isn't much over the life of a flashlight, even if it's only a year or two. People are going to say a twistie is much more reliable, and that .32" makes a big difference a how well a light will fit in a pocket. IMO the switch reliability isn't significant, and neither is the size difference. If you need something significantly smaller, go with a 1 AAA light. If you need something significantly more reliable go with a more expensive class of light that meets law enforcement or mil specs.

Here's a comparison chart if you need more info:

Fenix L1T - Luxeon 3, 2 level, type 3 anodize, AR on lens, tail clickie $43.50
Fenix L1P - Luxeon 1, 1 level, type 3 anodize, AR on lens, tail clickie $37.95
Fenix L1S - Luxeon 1, 2 level, type 2 anodize, no AR lens, tail clickie $32.50
Convictor - Luxeon 1, 1 level, type 2 anodize, no AR lens, head twistie $29.75 .32" shorter

There's a more complete table at the Fenix store, but it doesn't include the L1S.

http://fenix-store.com/fenixtable.html

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
MacTech,
Is there a pictorial, tutorial, or discussion of the three stage switch mod in the L1T?
If possible, could you give me a link?
Thanks,
Mike

EssLight

Newly Enlightened

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also buy a 2 stage switch for L1p but it's another 20 bucks. I used one w a
L2P head and CR2 body and it works great.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another plus for the L1T is you can run a 123 batt body. Basicaly a P1 with a clicky and 2 levels. There available for pre-order at the Fenix store now :) Should be one great little setup.

Ken