• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How do 4/5 A's stack up in 2D>6AA holder

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to run 9x 4/5 A's in 3x3 config. in a 2D
Will this holder from the Shoppe do it?
2D to 6AA Battery Holder [2D6AABH]
If not, whaddayagot?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
EvilLithiumMan said:
A cells are a larger diameter than AA and therefore probably won't fit. But I have to admit I have no experience with that particular model.

And if you wish to use a Maglite, it would have to be bored out to accept the 4/5 A cells. Here's an example:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114148

Also note that host is a "2-1/3 D cell", so I doubt a 2 D would have enough length.
Well, yes A is bigger than AA and so on and I have some experience but never put an A into a modamag pack. Also it should be noted that the more Ah the larger the AA diameter so some 4x AAs need boring, some don't.
I know about the bore, built a couple of hotwires, got a machinist. I am contemplating doing the machining myself and doing a few to offset the cost of some tooling, what do you think, would there be a few takers on CPF? I have used smaller AAs in cheap battery packs I have modified to be better or I have built soldered packs into shrink wrap and hard wired them into the body to include grounding into the tube with a screw. That is not much of a saving for resistance and does not allow access to individual sells for balance and maintenance so I thought I would try one of these. Since they are also sold in kits for diy I bet even if they are not quite right I can mod them, good start than coming up from scratch. There is a Smart Pack coming on line that is perfect for A's but I do not know when it will be available. So now that I am qualified as knowledgeable; back to the question: A's into this AA holder? Anyone with experience about this?

Bob_G

Enlightened
The interior length of a D Mag from back of switch to tail end of tube is 60mm per cell plus 24mm - 144mm for a 2D. The AA cell is 50mm and 4/5A is ~43mm. So, the MM holder has 20mm of overhead past the length of the cells (since it's designed to directly replace 2 D cells - 120mm - and the AA cells are 100mm total.)

So you've got 129mm for 3x4/5A plus 20mm = 149mm total length even if you hacked it enough to make it work. And a 144mm space to put it in. Not counting the extra 24mm needed for the spring. Your idea would require a 2.5D to work, just figuring length it seems to me. And don't forget about the resistance issues with the MM holder's springs - not a big deal with the 1331 or 1185, but still a deal of some sort.

Last edited: