I'm so ashamed!

mikep

Enlightened
I\'m so ashamed!

I was at an Erehwon store last night, buying an Infinity for my father-in-law. The checkout girl (college-age I'm guessing), said, "I'm going to have to get one of these, they're really cool." I pulled out my keychain with a photon2 and said "These are really handy, too." She said (enthusiastically), "Yeah, I have one of those!" Sensing my Flashlight Geek superiority in question, I just had to add, "Oh yeah, the one with a switch?" She replied, "No, you've got me there." I instantly realized I had been trying to one-up this poor girl. I just had to confess to the group.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I\'m so ashamed!

That`s disgusting. My mom say`s I can`t talk to you anymore.

axolotls

Enlightened

Ummm... If they aren't impressed pull out an E2 and say, "Ya got one of these?!?!? Huh??? Well do ya PUNK???"

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

mikep - look at the situation from her point of view ...... you broke her heart !

She's college-age, and has an interest in flashlights.
Probably no-one she knows shares her passion.
But still, she determinedly, amateurishly, pursues her interest.

Then, one day, she notices a dude stride purposefully onto the store.
Without pause or hesitation, he moves towards the flashlights section.
Deep in thought, he considers the range on offer.
Her interest is further aroused by the manly way he smilingly discards the lesser options.
Her heart beats faster, as he chooses the very flashlight she herself has wondered about buying !

Now - he approaches her checkout station!
In her youthful way, unsure of herself, she engages him in conversation.

Flirting shyly, her heart beating still more quickly , sensing the potential fulfilment of her dreams, imagining his gentle guidance while he shows her the world of Lumens and Watts and electrons (even LED's !)-
everything she's always wanted re: battery powered devices ......

And Yes ! He replies in a commanding masterful way that convinces her that an experienced, mature man could teach her so very much about the world of hand-held illumination.

Certainly, she wishes she had on that *special* outfit that she has sworn she will only wear to please the man capable of holding her interest.
(Fill in your favourite fantasy outfit here)

Then, obviously too busy with higher issues to even notice her, he leaves the store.

That night, tantalised, (poor girl ! ) she cries herself to sleep, wondering, wishing - thinking of what might have been ......

IT'S SO SAD !!

mikep - you gotta go back there. Don't take a bunch of flowers, just a bunch of batteries, and a signed photo of your lights collection.
Maybe some chocolates too ?

And let us all know if it turns out "happily ever after".

Lite-Lover
smile.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
wink.gif

LiteLover,

LOL, LOL, and ROFLMAO!!!!
smile.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif

DUDE! You need to seek professional help!
wink.gif

That's one elaborate scenario you be weavin'.
Of course, we all know that's a perfect play by play of our meeting the "perfect woman".

Well written! Cheers!
grin.gif

MikeP. you know you have to go back, armed with an Arc and anything else "cool" you have. Wow her with your flashaholism. Then, tell us all about it.
smile.gif

Hey! Take along the URL for the forum. Oh wait, then she might find this discussion. Doh!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL, lite lover, what a love at first site story...Mikep...better take your wife with you when you go back to that store...if lite lovers right...this gal might drag you into the supply closet, turn off the lights and...compare Photon beams....
shocked.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic

Lite-Lover can write 'em !!

There's something special about the young ladies that don't think you're completely mad for liking flashlights. I know a few. To see their eyes when I show them my Magnum (SureFire not Pelican!
wink.gif
)... I know what being impressed looks like!
grin.gif

You need to find out more about this female!

Al
cool.gif
[for the British Summer that isn't!]

mikep

Enlightened

I haven't read this thread in a long time ( a consequence of checking in on "today's active topics" only in the daytime, i suspect). I have to admit, though I felt like a dork when I 'fessed up to being a flashaholic to a stranger, you guys made me realize I'm nowhere near as bad as some!
wink.gif

Anyway, I have a lovely wife (who tolerates the flashlights, as they're less expensive than guns or knives), and two sons with an instinctive love of flashlights, so I'm not interested in going back to encounter the flashlight girl. Lite-lover, I can give you driving directions in case you're planning to fly to Chicago
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Gadget:
Hey! Take along the URL for the forum<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, that reminds me of something.

I recently printed up (just on my home computer, mind you) some business card sized items that have a blurb of LED flashlight information on them. They also list a few websites, this one included. This is all printed over a neat gray watermark style picture of a flashlight.

So, I realize that most folks here probably have visual aids (i.e. flashlights) ready to demonstrate with at any time, but does anyone else carry around a set of hand outs for when you start talking to people about flashlights? Or does this indicate that I have some kind of problem?
wink.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

Hey Lucas can you post an image of it here? I just have to see this card
smile.gif
maybe make up some of my own
wink.gif
And no you aren't crazy, your just taking it a bit further, helping show the rest of us the way
wink.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, the cards idea sounds good.

I have some of those sealing things I use for important business cards, etc.

I've been thinking for some time that we could have a badge for CPF members.
Say we had a competition to design a badge, and then had them made up - I'd really enjoy that. Like -

CandlePowerForums - The First 1,000

candlepowerforums.com

Certified Member

Well we are all certifiable ......

Cheap versions in a simple badge (or button, in American), or enamelled versions for a more luxury style.
Only thing, for the UK, we can't go round wearing a badge that says "Flashaholic" - that means - well ask Al and Chris M, they know what I mean.
Ok, it means a guy who gets his **** out in public over here.

HEY - HOW ABOUT A SMALLISH BADGE THAT LIGHTS UP - WOW ! IT'S POSSIBLE !!!

Could even be a useful emergency light.

Chris M - I've got a small LED light, a rave kind of thingy I wanted to post a review of -I'll send it to you tomorrow to post a pic of. It could be a build-in possibility. The light giving unit is only 11mm x 5mm, without batteries.

OR -
What about asking Photon to do a simple limited edition badge orientated unit.

Hey, Mr. Gransee, are you out there ?
What do you think ?

This could be a fundraiser, either for CPF or a charity.

LightLover

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Here is my current design for the cards I made up:

LED_card_2.gif

The Techass.com site is on there because I'll be likely to have my ErgoXRay with me. I figured I might as well be able to point to the address and say "This is where I got this one from.".

Custom photons? That could be neat.

Hey, blinking badges, that's a great idea. I'm starting to see this concept forming up.

We could make some kind of clip on lapel/shirt pocket badge (a clip might be more versatile than a pin?) with a blinking LED on it. There could be a button on the unit that would switch it over to constant light output, that way it would be a flashlight as well as a decoration.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened

On the custom photon LRI charges $75 for artwork setup and $1.00 per mylar label. There is another type that is $240 for 1000 labels which includes the artwork. Any photon dealer can order them with custom labels.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

TTS,
can we get actual badge fronts for them, or something ? I really like the idea of a Photon 3, say.

I personally would like a badge style thing that could pocket, or also be worn on a jacket, rather than just a keychain light.

WOW, just think, we could all recognise each other instantly ...... all the ~600 in the World of us ......

lightlover
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Oh, and TTS, thanks for your advice on that possible order some time ago.
Regards,
Jahn.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened

It's pretty much just a laser engraved mylar sticker for the photon.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>LightLover:
Only thing, for the UK, we can't go round wearing a badge that says "Flashaholic"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah!
smile.gif
I'm in the US, and that could be a bit of a problem here to. It's probably a difficulty no matter where you are.

Maybe we need to come up with a term other than "Flashaholic". I suppose if we wanted to we could say torchaholic, but unless you live where they call flashlights torches then it sounds like we're a bunch of pyromaniacs.

Maybe one of these would work:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>photobiotic depending on light for life and growth
<LI>photophiliac lover of light
<LI>photoholic addicted to light
<LI>photocentric focused on light
<LI>photicentric focused on the science of producing light
[/list]

Lux is the latin word for light, so we could also have luxobiotic, luxophiliac, luxoholic, etc.

Photicentric seems to be the best of the lot so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It could be a build-in possibility. The light giving unit is only 11mm x 5mm, without batteries.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like an interesting little item, emphasis on the little. Where did you get it?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I like the term "Illuminati", taken from the fantasy/sf book series, because it sounds really pretentious and holy, though of course flashlighting is a serious subject.

Looks like not many people are interested though. I think I'll just get a Photon 3, and make a badge-style case for it. I like the idea of wearing a light.

On the "Fool you" body light, (for navel wear!) the tiny thing which only flashes, a clubbing/party item, I'll post a few notes soon, and I've sent one to Chris M to review and post photos of.

lightlover
wink.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

busbar

Newly Enlightened

Lucas-- Sad news to report. I stopped by the Medic Alert Corporate HQ today to see of they could help. They're the ones that make those silver and red bracelets that have emergency medical information on the back. I gave them the proposed list of conditions (flashaholic, torchaholic, photobiotic, photophiliac, photoholic, photocentric, photicentric, luxobiotic, luxophiliac and luxoholic) but they were not very understanding at all. The receptionist was very courteous, but asked me to leave when I couldn't convince her of the need for such potentially life-saving information. She called security when I made a final appeal by asking if I could get a bracelet with 'pyromaniac' printed on it. The officer went for his 6D Maglite when I pleaded for the phone number of the Betty Ford Clinic on the way out. I didn't have time to convince him of the merits of SureFire products. It looked like a he sure could've used a Carley lamp in his 6D.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucas:

Hey, blinking badges, that's a great idea. I'm starting to see this concept forming up.

We could make some kind of clip on lapel/shirt pocket badge (a clip might be more versatile than a pin?) with a blinking LED on it
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice card.
smile.gif

Better than anything I could cobble up.

The blinking LED idea would be nice, but it needs a new gimmick. People have seen millions of those little red LED flashers, but what would really stand out in a crowd and get you noticed is a BLUE LED flasher.
smile.gif