Meet Alastair, one of your Moderators

Size15's

Flashaholic
It has been asked for, and I shall provide photos of myself. As requested, I reveal myself. I must add that I am not the typical young Englishman!

Your friendly Moderator invites you all to laugh at his image:

Enjoying an English Summer day:
al3.jpg

Dressed for the English Summer:
al1.jpg

Many thanks to Brock for putting these photos online.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Your friendly Moderator invites you all to laugh at his image:

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Laugh ??? - I tell you:
- my browser crashed,
- the dog wouldn't stop barking,
- milk curdled in the fridge
- books mysteriously fell off the shelves ......

Lite-Lover
grin.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:

Enjoying an English Summer day:
Dressed for the English Summer:

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me Al, just which months of the year DO you consider to be "English Summer"??
grin.gif
confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The English Summer lasted about a fortnight, some argue less, a little while back in June...
We have hopes that the rain that Wimbledon brings stops before August, and the sun shines before September.
When I was a lad, the summer lasted all, erm, summer, for about two months or more!

The M2 is on my belt in both photos, and the M3T is in my jacket pocket, with the M6 and SCs in the rucksack I believe.

Whenever someone trys to take my photo, I get told to "Put it away!" They are of course referring to a SureFire. I'll sneak some into the next photos!

BTW, Thanks, but the smile is forced, although you can not see the gun aimed at my head.
I tend to "grin like a sheep" which is unfortuneate in certain countries...
grin.gif

Al
grin.gif

Good to see you!
smile.gif

Why doesn't everyone post a pic?
Be a good way to bring our little community a little closer together.
smile.gif

Family photos, drinking photos, driver's license pics, whatever!
wink.gif

Objections?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gadget:
Family photos, drinking photos, driver's license pics, whatever!
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's see what I've got here...

sys1.jpg

Although I currently live in Seattle as evidenced by this pic of me with the Seattle Mariners team mascot, I originally came from somewhere else...

sys3.jpg

...this is the perpetually rainy city of Juneau Alaska, where July temperatures average 57.1°F...

sys2.jpg

...Mariners baseball is a favorite "thing" of mine, to wit the following website:
Safeco Field: A Photo Tour...

...and then of course, the reason I joined this forum in the first place:

teleph2.jpg

Me in my tiny corner "lab", surrounded by wires, instruments, bags of LEDs, and flashlights.

q90.jpg

Rescuing flashlights following the Ash Wednesday earthquake in Seattle.

Now, somewhere on this forum is a joke picture of me with an "LED eye" and a bottle of cat **** cleaner.
blush.gif

But the good news is I have no idea where it is or what its filename is.

Next?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gadget:
Craig,

You mean like this one?
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, like that one.
shocked.gif

self1.jpg

Ouch...

LOL!

"Only in America..."
...can you find guys who think glass eyes with LEDs would be cool.
...can you find a Web forum dedicated to those same guys.
...can you find cat **** remover at a local store.

grin.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
...can you find cat **** remover at a local store.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...can you find the cat **** remover next to the Dorcy Cool Blue LED flashlights...

shocked.gif
blush.gif
shocked.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check it out guys:

<center>
sys3.jpg
</center>

I don't know if that's the birth place of telephony but it's mine. And I went to JR High and High School with him there. How strange we meet like this on the internet again. I still remember him showing me his boom box with some LED's added.

(Sorry to take over your thread Size15s. Very nice pics.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
I don't know if that's the birth place of telephony but it's mine. And I went to JR High and High School with him there. How strange we meet like this on the internet again. I still remember him showing me his boom box with some LED's added.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is also my place of birth. Went to Gastineau Elementary, Marie Drake Jr. High, JD-High (Go Bears!), and a bit of time at the alternative high school because I f%&$&#^ed around with experiments too often instead of paying attention in class.
blush.gif

Remember Scarf 'n Barf?

I also spent a short time with the band Chrome Forest doing lighting & laser stuff for some of their local performances, and I spent a lot of time at PJs, an arcade/eatery across the parking lot from the Super Bear.

j3.jpg
j4.jpg

j5.jpg
j7.jpg

Fifty stars if you recognise any of these.
grin.gif

You know... I still wish I had one of those boomboxes I modified with the LEDs in the speakers...
frown.gif

P.S.
I'm *NOT* the one who threw the cherry bombs in the 1st floor urinals at the high school.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. You're really testing me. I forget which is the largest ferry. Malispina? And is that in Haines? And that top-right one looks like the Gastinau channel facing south. The lower-left one looks like the video arcade across from Super Bear. I can't remember the name of it. And the last one looks like the Nugget Mall parking lot. It's been over 10 years since I've been in SE Alaska. I was there once in 1998. But I didn't get out to even see the new tramway in downtown Juneau.

Do I remember Scarf'N'Barf? Yes I do! A bag of fries for about 96 cents. Couldn't beat that anywere. Did you know after George was chased out of there he opened up the "Thane Ore House"?

There are no 5 star (or even 3 star
grin.gif
) restaurants in Juneau. But I sure miss the Cookhouse and the Armadillo.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Great!
grin.gif

This is chit chat after all!

This is a view of Welwyn Garden City Town Centre where I live...
wgc.jpg

This is the best pub in town (now called "The Cork" because people do)
image3.jpg

Technically, this is my local pub I'm not going in there without armed guards.
image7.jpg

This is the pub I walk through the woods to get to, and stagger back. It can be done without a flashlight, which is actually rather good fun.
grin.gif

image11.jpg

There are[/] other non-pub photos of W.G.C. but I found these first.

Al

Out of interest, do Flashaholics like fire?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
OK. You're really testing me. I forget which is the largest ferry. Malispina? And is that in Haines? And that top-right one looks like the Gastinau channel facing south. The lower-left one looks like the video arcade across from Super Bear. I can't remember the name of it. And the last one looks like the Nugget Mall parking lot.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Upper left is a cruise liner, either the Volendam or the Rotterdam, and it is shown floating around in Gastineau Channel; photographed looking towards Douglas Island.
Upper right, you got correct.
Lower left, you were close - that particular arcade is in the same building as the Super Bear. A drug store is directly next door to it, then a travel agency, then the Super Bear.
smile.gif

Lower right, you also got that one correct.

If I were a school teacher, I'd have to give you a C+ on this exam. :O

It's been over 10 years since I've been in SE Alaska. I was there once in 1998. But I didn't get out to even see the new tramway in downtown Juneau.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time I was there was in 1990, was there for two weeks in late July & early August visiting mom. And at that time, there was no tramway, just some towers and a few small structures on Mt. Juneau from the project that was halted some years earlier. I didn't know they resumed and finally finished it.
wink.gif

All of the pictures except the arcade sign and the Nuggest parking lot were taken at that time.

Do I remember Scarf'N'Barf? Yes I do! A bag of fries for about 96 cents. Couldn't beat that anywere. Did you know after George was chased out of there he opened up the "Thane Ore House"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

George's Juno Main (aka Scarf & Barf) was the most popular hangout when I was in Jr. High, before that convenience store opened up next to the graveyard & across the street from the Juno Maid.
I know of the Thane Ore House, but didn't know George ran the place. You learn something new every day.
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Out of interest, do Flashaholics like fire?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FIRE!!! FIRE!!! FIRE!!!
Yeah yeah yeah, stomp on it!!!
Stomp on it, yeah yeah yeah yeah break it, break it BREAK IT!!!!!
hehehe I hate those things.
smile.gif

Stop it Beavis!!

...If you mean like blowing things up and making homemade incendiary devices, well, I used to when I was a teen.
I was wild and out of control, belonging more in Sally's boot camp than at home. :O

I've made electrically and optically-fired bombs in large shell casings and other containers, and used them to blow up dipsty-dumpsters (filaments from busted light bulbs make excellent squibs); perfume bottle bombs using red phosphorous (these blow up stumps & flowerboxes nicely); and I made several variations of the "spoke gun" using compressed solder as a projectile and mixed red/white phosphorous as the accelerant.

Later, I built a "flashblaster" out of an old Honeywell potato masher photoflash gun; the device was capable of blowing the word "Marlboro" off the face of a cigarette pack without damaging the rest of the pack or even melting the plastic overwrap.
It could also blow some kinds of typewritten text off a page without setting the page itself on fire.

I was a *bad boy* at one time.
This obviously went far beyond frying ants with a magnifying glass.
blush.gif

These days, my experiments are limited, and far, far less destructive.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
Plese identify ..
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having never seen it, I could very possibly strike out and get it wrong.
But the type of vegetation and the apparent terrain suggest this may be part of the Juneau Tramway; possibly a lower section of line in an area not far from Gold Creek and Evergreen Bowl.

The photograph was most likely taken between late June and early August; and was probably taken within the last several years. (The tramway did not exist in 1990 when I was last there).

???
confused.gif
???

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 points to the gentleman in the wheelchair that looks like a ufo

indeed, june 2000. I took 1200 pics that week, and if you haven't been there since 1990, you would hardly recognize some of the places. I was also spent a few weeks there there in 91 and things seemed so much different