When is Flashlight not a Flashlight?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Question:
When is a Flashlight not a Flashlight?

Answer:
When it's a Torch!

Now being a Brit from the UK, a Flashlight is what an American calls a Torch. Using "Flashlight" in conversation here results in strange looks.

So this is what the Concise Oxford Dictionary of English, 7th Edition 1984 has to say:

Torch
(electric)~, electric lamp with battery etc. in portable case; (fig.) source of heat or illumination.

Flashlight
(1)flashing light used for signals and in lighthouses,
(2)illuminating device for photographing by night etc.,
(3)*electric torch.

So maybe if anyone bothers to read this, they'll understand a bit more why we call a flashlight a torch!

Al
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weren't the earliest *lights* momentary only, i.e. Flash-Lights, as Statesiders decided to call them ? (And at the time, principally marketed as a way to sell batteries, apparently.)

Yeah, Al, I'd never regularly heard a torch called a flashlight before CPF. Also, way back in the time of Socrates, they were calling their hand-held illumination units TORCHES !

Lumenaddict, you can be a Honorary Brit for the month of August (Only !).
Although the main benefit that confers is the Opportunity to buy American lights at around 3x the USA prices ......

lightlover
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found it at last !
I couldn't remember what this topic was called. (Just terribly absent-minded, old chap ..... )

Anyway, I watched the excellent TV series "Band of Brothers" a few days ago. There is a scene in the episode "Crossroads", with dialogue something like this:

British Paratrooper, excitedly -
"(They were) signalling with a hand-held red torch !"

American Para coolly drawls -
"That would be a hand-held red flashlight"

lightlover
wink.gif

mikep

Enlightened
I dunno- When I hear "torch" I always picture what you carry with your pitchfork as you head up as a mob to Dr. Frankenstein's castle to kill the hideous beast that's an affront to God and nature. Has this been mentioned before?
grin.gif