Help! A problem for you computer gurus...

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
I've got a problem, need some expert advice.
When I come to the forums, I am able to read the posts for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half, then the posts just stop downloading. I can see my little computer icon on my task bar occasionally blink ... like it's trying to work ... but nothing happens. Re-booting usually fixes it, although sometimes I have to shut down, wait 15 seconds, and power back up. Then, it works fine for another period of time.

I thought it might be a problem with my computer, but I just got a new one (2 wks ago)and it still does it. The old computer was a Pentium 233 mhz, with 64 of RAM. My new one is an AMD 1.2 gig, with 256 of RAM. I had Netscape 4.7 in the old one, but was told that the 4.5 version was more stable, so that's what I'm using in this one.

I'm using a dial-up connection (usually at 45 to 46,666 bps) and the same ISP.

So, is it Netscape? ... or my dial-up connection (my phone line)? Or, my ISP? Or, something I haven't thought of. And, how do I fix it?

Btw, I don't have to be on the forum for it to happen. I can be anywhere on the web, or sending/receiving email. It just seems that some little glitch happens for no reason, and I have to re-boot to make it go away.

I've thought about a satellite hook-up, for a better internet connection. Maybe that will fix it ... but it'll have to be one of the "1-way" hookups, the "2-way" are waaaaay too high ($69.95 mo.) (No cable or DSL here in the woods)

Help!!! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Bruce,
are you using the same modem or is it new?

did you always have this problem since you've been web surfing? if not, when did it start?

how long have you had this isp (and can you see any relationship to when this problem started)?

any other things in common between the two computers?

this is gonna be one of those weed out the obvious stuff and see what's left - doh!
blush.gif

that's probably enough q's for now.

btw, try this web site - it can check out your internet connection, etc.

pc pitstop

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
1) New computer, new modem.
2) I don't remember when it started, it's been doing it for so long now. In the back of my mind, I "think" maybe it started when I changed to Netscape several years ago, but I'm not sure. Although I seem to recall that Internet Explorer wasn't so great either, for some reason (don't remember what that problem was), but that's why I switched to Netscape. So maybe I had the problem with IE, too.?
3) I've always had the same ISP.
4) The only things in common with the 2 computers:
a) same ISP
b) same phone line
c) Netscape on both, though different versions.

You asked some good questions. If other people using Netscape aren't having the same problem, that just leaves a and b above. Right? Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks Artie,
smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent troubleshooting tips! Additional things that can give you problems: Try replacing the phone cord between the wall and computer; if you are using multiple cords connected end to end using couplers, get a long cord that reaches the entire distance to replace them. If you are using a splitter at the phone wall jack, remove it or replace it. Any connection point is a point of signal loss, so try to reduce them. Also, if your ISP has multiple dial-up numbers for your locale, try another local number - it may well connect you to a different group of servers that are less prone to dropping your connection. I had VERY similar problems (always getting dropped after 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hrs or so) so after all the rest of the troubleshooting I went out and bought a USRobotics modem (considered one of the better ones) for about 100 at Walmart and now the ISP connection "pauses" for up to 30 seconds, but then resumes, whereas before it would get dropped by the old modem. Connection speeds are now slower (36000 vs 42000) as I believe the modem recognizes that there is lots of "line noise" it must compensate for, but I don't get dropped - it's worth the trade-off.

Couple possibilities...

First one, others have kinda touched on, is line noise.
If you pick up any phone in the house and dial one digit, listen for any hums, pops, or static in the line. (a few seconds of this and the "operator" will tell you "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try your call again."
smile.gif

This test works best if you can use the same phone jack/cord that the computer is connected to.

Secondly, do you have call-waiting? A lot of people forget about this and if you get a call while online, that "tone" it makes to indicate you have a call will screw up your connection.

If it always happens about the same time interval, your ISP may be dropping you because it thinks you are "inactive" too long. You'd have to speak to them about that....

Good luck!
wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something I forgot to mention was the call waiting thing - thanks Gadget.

That brings up an aside. If anyone reading this post is using a dial-up line, you can get a thing from Tigerdirect.com called "Catch-a-call". You need Call Waiting for it to work, and you don't de-activate call waiting when you use the modem. You attach a phone to the box and the box rings when you get an incoming call while using your computer modem. You can catch the call by picking up the phone (It puts your computer on "hold" which causes your ISP to disconnect you after a few seconds, but you don't miss the call), or you can ignore it and keep surfing - you don't get disconnected by the call waiting beep. I got one and it really works! Costs about 50.00. (of course you could just pay for messaging service from your phone company if you wish)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Go, Go Gadget Flashlight:

If it always happens about the same time interval, your ISP may be dropping you because it thinks you are "inactive" too long. You'd have to speak to them about that....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you use Netscape, you can set it to check for incoming mail at specified intervals, automatically.
This acts something like you're pinging the server, so it "sees" activity and maintains your connection, regardless of whether you are reading a long web document or taking a nap on the couch.

Mine is set to check for e-mail once a minute.
Many people find that setting their interval to 5 or 10 minutes is just fine.

I like to know about e-mail pretty much the moment it's sent, which is why I have my interval set so low. You probably don't NEED to set yours at 1 minute; your ISP will probably be happy with 5.
smile.gif

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I can see my little computer icon on my task bar occasionally blink ... like it's trying to work ... but nothing happens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce,

Some more q's:

What are you referring to here? is it an indicator for the modem showing data moving?

Also, you say you have to reboot to get back to normal. Do you still have a connection to the isp when everything stops downloading? Have you ever tried dropping the phone connection, then reconnecting and if so, did this work or does only a reboot fix the problem?

If you have call waiting, you can disable it with one of the * commands as part of the dial up.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use Netscape, you can set it to check for incoming mail at specified intervals, automatically

That works with Outlook Express too. You have to have Outlook running all the time of course, but it`s no big deal.

You know, if my internet connection is idle for 5 minutes, it`ll cut me off. Annoying, when writing long posts- or reading them and having to redial. So I set Outlook to check for new mail every 4 minutes- therefore never exceeding that idle time. Sneaky, eh? Of course, the automatic 2 hour cutoff still gets me- it`s a free ISP service that comes with our cable TV package and cuts you off every 2 hours to prevent loads of users from just staying connected all the time, hogging all the servers. No way to get around it, it`s done at the server. It`s a pain in the, well, there`s that toliet mucle again
tongue.gif
, cos it means I can`t download anything that would take more than 2 hours- and at 28.8 it ould one day prove to be a serious inconvenience. Probably why I never bother downloading much these days.

shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
Super info, guys! Thanks.

Let's see if I can respond to your input.

The dialup number I was using was changed the same day I got my new computer, so the new number was installed when the new computer was setup.

The phone line went through my fax first (per fax setup instructions) and I changed that by going direct through the surge protector to my new computer. The fax is now on a different phone cord. (The internet problem persists). Btw, the connection speed went from 28,800 to 46,666.
grin.gif

I think my modem is a US Robotics - will check with my installer to make sure.

Don't have call-waiting. Will check for line noise.

I don't believe my ISP is dropping me, or doing anything on purpose, as I am still connected to the web at that time, just unable to download anything. And Craig, my computer checks for new mail every 5 minutes - you taught me that little trick last year ... thanks.

I've tried in the past to just disconnect and reconnect without rebooting, and it didn't work. Haven't tried it lately though.

The computer icon I am referring to (that apparently everybody doesn't have, cause my cousin asked me the same question), is at the bottom right of my screen, and is a picture of 2 tiny computer screens connected together that blink green when data is being transferred.

So, it looks like we've narrowed it to:
1) line noise
2) modem
3) maybe an unstable ISP?

Does that about cover it? Did I overlook anything?

Thanks,
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
One more thing you could try is to set your max connection rate down to something slow, maybe 18,000. If you have a lot of line noise (like I do) it prevents hangs like that, but does slow the overall connection down. If it doesn't fix the problem you can always set the speed back up.

Also when it happens try physically disconnecting the phone cord from the computer, then right click the little modem icon and disconnect (it will take a while since the line is physically gone), then plug the line back in and try reconnecting.

Those are my two guesses. I used to have a program that ran in DOS that gave you a % line noise, but lost it.

Oh one last thing I would try is using IE now that you have a differnt computer, that would at least rule out the Netscape issue.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem a while back...it ended up being line noise. A Verizon guy, useing a device to find the "leak" found the problem about 4 feet from my house...a small break in the phone line that was made more noticable by the rains we finally started getting. It`s worked fine since he replaced it.

I noticed noise in the line when talking...a crackel sound...not to often...4~5 minutes might go by inbetween...my modem seemed to handle most but about every half hour or so (somtimes sooner/longer) it would loose it...when it hung in there it would move real slow.

My mother had a lot of problems with her phone line as well...she had to buy a Flex modem, I think it was called,...works great now.

Good luck...I sure was frustrated.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
What operating system and ISP?

Had simular problem and complained to Earthlink. They sent me a software fix for my modem/operating system and problem went away, but ended up screwing up some other DLL's; then some parts of video editing program didn't work.

Valueing my video editing more that the internet, I completely reformated my system . This is the strange part... I called Earthlink and complained how the "fix" gave me other problems, and the tech told me to load the fix before loading any other programs after formatting. I no longer have the problem BTW, I was certain my problem was NOT in the lines because I did not have any problems with my laptop.
Also, regardless of browser IE, Netscape or the Earthlink proprietary, I had the problem.

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. Great suggestions. I'm gonna follow up on all of them!

KenB ... welcome back. Good to have the old (but good) name back after the "musical names" game.
grin.gif

Too tired to think tonite (I work weekends), but will re-read all the suggestions in the next day or so after I get the cobwebs out of my head. Btw, isn't it great to have a resource like the forums when you need help?!

Thanks again,

springnr

Enlightened
The phone line went through my fax first (per fax setup instructions) and I changed that by going direct through the surge protector to my new computer....
~~~~~~~~~~
One of your troubleshooting steps should be remove the phone line surge protector.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by springnr:
One of your troubleshooting steps should be remove the phone line surge protector.[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! Ditch the line surge protector. I've had nothing but problems with these! Always seems to reduce connect reliability.

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Here's an update:

Installed Netscape 6.1 and it is FAST! and the problem has been ... for the most part ... solved.

I tried using 4.5 and 6.1 side by side (left 4.5 installed) and when sometimes 4.5 would not process ... 6.1 would. Have been well pleased with 6.1's speed and stability.

Because I live in the country, I was told that I never would have a dial-up connection faster than about the 28,800 that I was getting. Once I switched to Netscape 6.1, and removed the fax from the line, I now am connecting at 46,666 consistantly ... and sometimes connect at 50,000. I'm sure the fax was a problem, but having a faster browser probably figures in there, too. I will try removing the surge protector sometime and see if that speeds things up, also. Just hate to remove that protection.

I highly recommend 6.1 to everyone using a slower version of Netscape.

Thanks everyone again for your help. The people on this forum are the BEST!!!
grin.gif

Regards,