Multiple laser colors in one handheld?

ZenEngineer

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse my ignorance, but would it be possible to make a laser pointer that has three different lasers built into it (red, green, and blue)? I ask because at meetings it has become standard practice for everyone to bring their own pointer so you don't have to waste time moving the pointer from person to person when a point needs to be made. However, now there are dueling laser spots of different colors!
It would be nice if I could find a small laser pointer (short and fat, powered by a single 123 battery) that could selectively fire off a red, green, or blue laser. Kind of like a Surefire Kroma, but with lasers instead of leds. Of course, if it could have a 4th and 5th laser as an option, with fanned out spots like a Greatland Laser Flare, that would be even better in my EDC world.

That's my wish. Is such a thing possible for less than the cost of a new car?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You would probably have to build this critter yourself; as I'm not aware of a commercially available multi-color laser in pointer format.

Best suggestion for the near-term anyway would be for you to latch onto a 473nm blue DPSS or 593.5nm yellow DPSS laser pointer; they're still uncommon enough that nobody else at your meeting would be likely to have one.

comozo

Enlightened
ZenEngineer said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but would it be possible to make a laser pointer that has three different lasers built into it (red, green, and blue)? I ask because at meetings it has become standard practice for everyone to bring their own pointer so you don't have to waste time moving the pointer from person to person when a point needs to be made. However, now there are dueling laser spots of different colors!
It would be nice if I could find a small laser pointer (short and fat, powered by a single 123 battery) that could selectively fire off a red, green, or blue laser. Kind of like a Surefire Kroma, but with lasers instead of leds. Of course, if it could have a 4th and 5th laser as an option, with fanned out spots like a Greatland Laser Flare, that would be even better in my EDC world.

That's my wish. Is such a thing possible for less than the cost of a new car?

So how would a laser that produces different colors aleviate the problem of dueling laser spots of different colors?

ZenEngineer

Newly Enlightened
comozo said:
So how would a laser that produces different colors aleviate the problem of dueling laser spots of different colors?

Yeah, it sounds silly. But it would give choices, so when other colors are used by others I can pick the one not being used.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
For that, your options would be green and red, as those are by far the most common colors. If you want a color unique to you, do what Craig said, get a yellow or blue pointer, with blue being a nicer color, and yellow a more uncommon one :grin2:.

If you're handy, you could even build your own yellow pointer by using green and red lasers, so you'll actually end up with three lasers in one :naughty: