Best place to get Osram Lantern

x2x3x2

Banned
Hi, i was at a local electronic store n was suprise to find they were selling the Osram Golden Dragon for about US$18.25 retail, no sale or anything. Is this cheap? Or are there other places which have it cheaper?

x2x3x2

Banned
ok cool, will pick one up tomorrow.

they were also carrying that light which has 3 LEDs, the Osram Dot-It at about US$6.25 will probably pick up one of those too :)

thezman

Enlightened
Where did you find these?

What part of the world do you live in?

More info please. :candle:

x2x3x2

Banned
wops sorry forgot to mention, im in singapore n found em at Sim Lim Tower.

thezman

Enlightened
Thanks, I'm from Pennsylvania in the US.
Singapore is a bit too far away for a road trip this weekend. :ohgeez:

Nice find on the lights, killer price.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFLMAO

singapore of course cheaper lah...

US sell for alot leh.

some more, sim lim tower is good for finding torchlights(made in china ones) ,LED and many other stuff. cheap too :) (unless you go to the wrong shop...)

x2x3x2

Banned
i wouldnt mind getting some for u, but then again plus shipping from singapore to the us. it will probably end up the same as ur retail :p

ciam

Newly Enlightened
I visit Singapore once a year in the past few years and have visited Sim Lim Tower quite a few times but haven't seen it for sale there. Would you please tell me the name and unit number of that store so that I could pick one up on my next visit?

I bought one online earlier for US$32 shipped. It's the cheapest I could find already. It's a good compact lantern with reasonable brightness. Ideal as a tent lamp while camping.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although Sylvania is owned by Osram, I didn't see any mention of the Sylvania lantern using Osram Golden Dragon LED. Also, the runtime claim is 80hrs/200hrs high/low whereas the Golden Dragon is 20hrs/100hrs claim (although in reality its around 10hrs/??)

So that could mean the Sylvania is using a different LED that may not be as bright as the GD. It might be more like the Brunton Glorb which is not bright enough for most needs.

dchao

Enlightened
I asked the people at the Sylvania store about the new lantern. This is what they said:

"We do have the mini lantern in stock, and this item is the same product as the Osram camping LED. You can view the item at the below link."

You can also tell from the lens, Osram version has the frosted lens, whereas the Brunton one has the clear lens.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would think Sylvania, being under Osram, should be the same. I was just noticing that they are making even wilder claims abt runtime and thus buyers should double check.

The Osram GD lasts 8-9 hrs on high instead of 20 hrs, that is about 2 times overclaim. 80 hrs is 10 times!!!

Maybe they tweaked the circuit to give out less than 1.5 watts of power and thus longer runtimes. Or maybe its just the inflated claim.

But I don't think the frosted globe means every single component inside is the same :D But since they verbally confirmed it is the same, I suppose it should be ok?