Beamshots--five 9V to 14V miniturbos

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've standardized the crop size to let you more easily compare the beam widths. Thanks to those who advised me on exposure, I've throttled down the exposure so that nothing--not even the brightest hot spot--is not overexposed.

The lamp assemblies, listed alphabetically:
  1. RICO Alpha 9 9V ("250 lumens"), 2 Wolf Eyes 168A cells (2000 mAh).
  2. Superfire (G&P) G140 14V (rating unknown), 3 Wolf Eyes 150B cells (1000 mAh).
  3. Wolf Eyes D36-9V (200 lumens), 2 Wolf Eyes 168A cells (2000 mAh).
  4. Wolf Eyes D36-12V (300 lumens when run on four primary cells), 3 Wolf Eyes 150A cells (1400 mAh).
  5. Wolf Eyes D36-13V (300 lumens), 3 Wolf Eyes 150A cells (1400 mAh).
And now, the beam shots, arranged from lowest output to highest:

Fifth place: Superfire (G&P) G140

dscf2799superfiregp14v3x150blabeledmp5.jpg

The G140 has to be the most disappointing lamp I've ever tried. Why G&P didn't design it to be 13V, I can't imagine.

Fourth Place: Wolf Eyes D36-9V (2006 model)

dscf2798wolfeyes09vd36new2x168alabeledtq9.jpg

In the Spring, Wolf Eyes redesigned its 9V miniturbo lamp, the D36-9V. In place of the yellowish even flood, we now have a pure white beam of average width that delivers 20 percent more light while drawing 20 percent less current. The piercing center spot is ideal for those who can't decide whether they're better served by a flooder or a thrower.

3rd Place: RICO Alpha 9

dscf2801ricoalpha92x168alabeledmu0.jpg
The RICO acquits itself well, delivering a beam that's both wider and brighter than the Wolf Eyes 9V. All it lacks is the Wolf Eyes' throw. The RICO -perfectly fits the 45mm head of a Wolf Eyes Cobra (2x150A) or Rattlesnake (2x168A). It also fits the Raider's 42mm head, but it's a snug fit; you'll have to wrestle with the head to engage the threads.

This is the original Alpha 9, made by Insight Technologies. Earlier in 2006, a CPFer reported that a successor was on the way, but I've never seen it. Nor can I find a lamp this bright in the Insight line-up.

2nd Place: Wolf Eyes D36-13V

dscf2796wolfeyes13v3x150alabeledfk8.jpg

To my eyes, the jump from the RICO to the Wolf Eyes 13V is the second-most-visible improvement, surpassed only by the jump from the fifth-place Superfire to the fourth-place Wolf Eyes 9V. Look at that broad spill! This beam is like a Surefire P91 on steroids, Incandescent floods are hard to find; bright ones, even more so. The G&P G120 used to be my favorite incan flood, but you can't run it on protected rechargeables. If you love incans and prefer floods, the D36-13V is a winner.

1st Place: Wolf Eyes D36-12V

dscf2797wolfeyes12vnew3x150alabeledjc2.jpg

Cross the broad flood of the D36-12V with the piercing throw of a Streamlight TL-3, and you get an idea of this lamp powered by protected rechargeables. All I can say is, Wow. The D36-13V already delivered more light than the G&P Scorpion; the 12V ups the ante in total light and probably trounces the G&P in throw.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Is the 14 Volt lamp shown the same one you posted about a while back for 5 dollars from Fifth Unit ? I remember wanting to wait for a review before I bought one and if this is the same one you found for sale I will most likely not waste my money on one.

Thanks for a very nice write up on these and I have found the same results comparing my 13 Volt D36 to the 12 volt version. The only difference in my findings were that I had to use R123 cells to power the lamps however the 12 volt was still actually a little better than the 13 volt. It seemed to have less artifacts as well and I believe this is because the filiment looks a little different on the 13 volt unit.

EV_007

Enlightened
Good stuff Paul. I've learned a lot from reading your posts.

Nice beamshots. Thanks for taking the time to shoot them.

:rock:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great write up Paul! It reinforces what I assumed about the 12v WE vs the Scorpion... now toss in the M100X 12v head an lookout! Phenominal throw (for those who need/prefer throw) with a wonderfully useful spill.

Is it just me, or had WE managed to surpass most other incan manufacturers with this series of lights and cell extenders? Flat discharge, free lumens, and incredible output (spill and/or throw, one's choice to make). Apart from the SF A2, has any other manufacturer helped move the target as much as WE?

chadwide

Newly Enlightened
I have a body that takes the 26MM Lamps. Is it possible to get a wolf-eyes 13v D36 lamp and swap the reflectors?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
chadwide said:
I have a body that takes the 26MM Lamps. Is it possible to get a wolf-eyes 13v D36 lamp and swap the reflectors?
No; Wolf Eyes lamps are glued to their reflectors. However, if your body is a 3x123A (the 9A or 9T), you can buy the 42mm bezel with a D36 9V lamp for about $23, and presto! You have a 9D. Now add the 13V lamp and power it with three unprotected "M2" RCR123A cells from AW, which are designed for high-drain (2C) applications. It's not very practical; it's more for bragging rights. Personally, I don't go near unprotected cells.

By the way, the G140 lamp, too, is glued to its reflector. As far as i know, it's the only G&P xenon lamp assembly whose lamp can't be removed. Maybe we'll start to see such pre-focused lamps throughout the G&P product line. If it makes sense for Surefire, Wolf Eyes, Microfire, and Pentagonlight...

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running on three 150A cells, my Wolf Eyes D36-12V lamp has died after less than 1 hour. It was nice while it lasted. I guess there's a reason Wolf Eyes recommends the 13V lamp with this setup. I actually prefer the 13V's smooth, wide wall of light; I just got seduced by the 12V's throw. Correction: The lamp still works! The head had come slightly unscrewed.

Here's hoping the 13V will hold up under three 168A cells, using an extra-long Rattlesnake or the extra-short M-300.

Last edited:

dchao

Enlightened
Paul,

Can you give us an update: Is your D36-12V LA still working under the three-cell (rechargable) configuration? I also like the output from the 12V LA, but I also want long bulb life ;)

mdocod

Flashaholic
curious.... you mention that 12V D36 on 3xli-ion as being brighter than a G&P scorpion.... I assume that's the R500? .. I'm debating around the bush about a new tactical li-ion setup, will be my first with a turbo-head... you wouldn't happen to have a beam-shot taken in the same exposure/setting of the G&P scorpion would ya?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
dchao said:
Paul,

Can you give us an update: Is your D36-12V LA still working under the three-cell (rechargable) configuration? I also like the output from the 12V LA, but I also want long bulb life ;)
Yes, it's still working on three 150A cells, but I use it only few minutes a week. To my knowledge, no one has reported a premature failure. However, running it on three 168A cells would, I think, be pushing it and asking for trouble.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
curious.... you mention that 12V D36 on 3xli-ion as being brighter than a G&P scorpion.... I assume that's the R500? .. I'm debating around the bush about a new tactical li-ion setup, will be my first with a turbo-head... you wouldn't happen to have a beam-shot taken in the same exposure/setting of the G&P scorpion would ya?
Yes, the R500. And sorry, I don't own an R500. You can compare their beam shots on Flashlight Reviews (FLR). I don't recall any direct head-to-head beam shots in these forums. One owner claimed that the R500 "obliterated" the Wolf Eyes 13V and several other highly regarded lights; I'm just quoting FLR's measured values.

innerlight

Newly Enlightened
Hi Paul,

I have a 4 cell ultrafire body and am deleriously unhappy with the l/a.
Do one of these other l/a's look like they could be swapped in based on the dimensions of the 14 volt l/a you tested?

Thanks for the info,

Rick

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, innerlight, the G140 and G120 lamp assemblies are interchangeable. But I'm curious: Why would you want the G140? It's a real underperformer. Most folks love the G120 12V lamp that comes with the Ultrafire. The G120 lamps that I've owned were like a P91 on steroids...except that they hot-flashed when used with three 150B cells.