What is a laser good for?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, did a search and couldn't get anything interesting to come up.

What good a laser, what can you do with it?

Other than use it as a pointer?

dr_lava

Enlightened
transmitting data/audio, and approximating smoke/particulate density in the air

also, making really cool-looking beams at night!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Lower-powered visible lasers (<5mW) also make fantastic dog & cat toys. Shine the spot on the floor, move it around in a wide area, and watch Fido or Fluffy go after it. This is particularly effective with cats; they think the spot is an insect and will insanely chase it. The natural "chase" instinct found in most cats will be triggered.

YAG

Newly Enlightened
Asking what a laser is good for is like saying how long is a rope... be more specific. There are lasers for research, entertainment, industry, personal use, etc.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the price has dropped so significantly they are now found in many consumer products (including some where their usefulness is questionable) like paper cutters, laser levels, power tools like circular saws, and laser sights. I use them mostly to listen to CDs and watch movies on DVD. Also to pop balloons.

cutlerylover

Banned
I was thinking about getting a 100mw laser to play around with and pop ballons mess around with other things, don't worry all legal...lol, but Im not ready to spend $150-$200 to have a toy like that...but then again If I was going to spend $100 for the 50mw laser why not go for the extra power and spend a little more...? Im still pondering whether or not I want to buy one...They do look fun!

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
etc and culerylover, you're correct, outisde of pets, light shows, firearms, and pointer duty in classrooms and boardrooms, and star-pointing for astronomy groups, the small handheld lasers are mostly a cool science toy.

Probably the most "useful" purpose the lasers could be used for the common person, especialy the one's over 5mW, is if the beam is spread in a fan shape, and used as a flare to signal rescue vehicles for hikers, boaters, crashed pilots, or skiers etc.

Although that's not to say there aren't other mechanical, engineering, or science uses for these lasers, just that if you know what they are, most likely you're in already that field of study.

ted_park

Newly Enlightened
etc said:
OK, did a search and couldn't get anything interesting to come up.

What good a laser, what can you do with it?

Other than use it as a pointer?

Lasers are used for all sorts of good things. Information storage systems such as CD and DVD recorders/players use them. They are used for optical "tweezer" applications, and other tasks such interferometry, holography, printing and cutting. Excimer lasers are used for eye surgery. Blue lasers can be used to excite certain fluorescent dyes.

Many of the useful applications don't involve any visual interaction, since they don't use visible laser energy, or if they do, things are happening too fast to actually see anything useful.

Lasers are a favorite among evil overlords too. They can be attached to sharks or sea bass to perform an assortment of tasks.

Last edited:

Madz

Enlightened
I wrote my name on the back of my cell phone with the PGLIIIA (AKA EnVee)

cutlerylover

Banned
Yeah, I know that there are tojns of uses for lasers over 5mw...but I don't have an occupation that uses them so for me it purely for entertainment...Tahst why I am still wondering if it's worth the money to me personally...I colelct knives, and Zipos, and recently got into flashlights...Now Lasers, lol...I don't have enough money to feed all my hobbies/addictions...lol

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
Lower-powered visible lasers (<5mW) also make fantastic dog & cat toys. Shine the spot on the floor, move it around in a wide area, and watch Fido or Fluffy go after it. This is particularly effective with cats; they think the spot is an insect and will insanely chase it. The natural "chase" instinct found in most cats will be triggered.

Is the average laser found in department stores low enough power? I had a laser pointer a while ago and notice my cat went nuts with it, but my parents were worried it would cause eye damage.

dr_lava

Enlightened
Yes, 5mW has been determined to be safe to the eye, even direct exposure (flashing by), although I have heard differing claims for prolonged direct exposure.

cutlerylover, I have little doubt you will enjoy a powerful green laser immensely given your other interests. Just be careful!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Chucula said:
Is the average laser found in department stores low enough power? I had a laser pointer a while ago and notice my cat went nuts with it, but my parents were worried it would cause eye damage.
If you keep the beam on the carpet and walls, then yes, 5mW or less is perfectly safe for pets.

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents...there are a couple of animal experts & website that mentioned although its fun to have your dogs or cats chase after laser, it could lead to some serious OCD- obsessive compulsive disorder. (ie: the dog or cat would start to chase after the tail-lamps of cars etc.....)There's an article somewhere in http://www.terrificpets.com/ or do a goggle search.

Pls be mindful the next time you play using a laser with Fiddo

cutlerylover

Banned
dr_lava said:
cutlerylover, I have little doubt you will enjoy a powerful green laser immensely given your other interests. Just be careful!

Thanks, I like the idea, but I think I will hold off for a while...I don't think its my cup of tea...I don't do stupid things so If I do end up getting one I WON'T use it to cause injury or annoyence towards anyone...Looks like I will just have to watch the demo vids to complete my laser urges for now...lol

P.S when I was younger I loved the cheapo red lasers... <5mw were fun to put on light shows, but I got the same speach from ym parents about it blinding someone so I pointed it directly into ym eye (I was young and stupid, lol) to preove to them it was ok...and it was...I can still see 20/20!

Cobweb Hunter

Newly Enlightened
I do a fair amount of work in a consulting capacity in an industrial environment. I EDC a laser pointer in my shirt pocket. It comes in handy as a pointer in situations outside of the those that are normally considered (classrooms, overhead or PowerPoint pesentations to groups, etc.) The trick is to train yourself to remember to use the darn thing; after a while the applications become second nature. Examples: point to something from a safe distance in an operating piece of machinery, pointing out a defect (crack, etc,) or specific area on something that is dirty, greasy, or too hot to touch.
It is also so much fun to have it available for playing with my freinds' pets. I have to be a bit careful, though, because the owners may think it is dangerous or that the pet will get over-tired.