Fenix E0 LED swap and reflector polishing?

Anto

Enlightened
I'm going to be receiving my E0 this week, and was wondering if anyone's modded their e0 yet. I want to replace the "angry blue" led with a nice white 40k mcd one I got from the keychain light sale a while back and polish the stock reflector to a somewhat reflective surface.

Has anyone done this yet?
Tips on removal of the LED?

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
it`s easy to remove the LED, just unscrew the head and stand it on a hard surface and then press the LED down hard with somthing like the back of a marker and it should just press out.

I replaced mine with a NICHIA B1 LED.

regards.

John.

Anto

Enlightened
Yay! I got in my e0 today, and it's super easy to mod.

Here's the results from a minute of reflector polishing:
comparisonhp2.jpg

As you can see, the lines are sharper in the reflector. I'm going to hit this with the dremel when I have some spare time.

The 40k mcd LED I had was the same tint of cool white / bluish as the e0 :(. Guess i'm going to be ordering a Nichia LED to stick in this thing.

Anto

Enlightened
I just used a container of Mothers Mag Billet & Aluminum Polish, comes in a red can. This particular job was done with q-tips and one minute of my time.

I plan to break out the dremel and polish that sucker to a smoooth shine.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered my new white LED's, and will be modding soon with a dremel polish. A good amount of the current spill seems to come from the reflector when I block it with a piece of paper with a hole in it. I'm sure polishing can help.

Anto

Enlightened
Best way to do it is to remove the LED "pill" first. It's super super easy! The pill is just held in by the tension of an o-ring (between the LED body and head). Push the LED out and fish for the o-ring, and wa-la. Much more free space to work with.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Hey, I just tried that and hardly any pressure was needed. The LED assembly fell off, and the o-ring remained in it's position. No trouble at all!

(Is this my first step ever in mod-land?):huh:

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
Anto said:
I'm going to be receiving my E0 this week, and was wondering if anyone's modded their e0 yet. I want to replace the "angry blue" led with a nice white 40k mcd one I got from the keychain light sale a while back and polish the stock reflector to a somewhat reflective surface.

Has anyone done this yet?
Tips on removal of the LED?

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=135173

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: POPPING THE PILL

I can't push my pill out. I have a natural finish E0.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a dental pick down into that area of black adhesive. It turns out it's very brittle and hard. I think I would break the electronics before I ever pushed out the pill.

I'm going to purchase a black one and hope it isn't potted in. Then when I'm done, I can compare the upgrade to the original.

Meanwhile, where's my old CMG Infinity... :p

Moat

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I got a dental pick down into that area of black adhesive. It turns out it's very brittle and hard. I think I would break the electronics before I ever pushed out the pill.

If they're anything like the Arc or Infinity, many folks have had luck by heating the head (in hot/boiling water, or maybe a few "swipes" of flame from a Bic lighter) to soften the potting compound, allowing the pill to push out. Repeated application of heat to the pill (it cools off quickly) works well to facilitate gently picking away the compound from around the LED and electronics, too (with, say, tweezers).

FWIW... it might work...?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I scraped the entire periphery of the circuit board, then I could push the pill out. I used the back side of a very pointy exacto knife. Took some patience, but it worked.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anto, PM me an email address and I will send you a picture of beamshots of my modded E0 (with a white 100mA 5mm LED from the Sandwich Shoppe) beside a stock E0. It probably won't be until this weekend or early next week, so no rush.

Anto

Enlightened
When you say 100mA, did you mod the e0 to push 100mA? From what i've heard, in stock form it doesn't push much mA to the LED at all. 25, 30mA?
Anyone know the exact number?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I want the E0 to have the same runtime and yet whiter light than the stock emitter. So I'm just replacing the LED. I have other Fenix AAA lights if I want brighter (E1-47, L0P, L0P-SE). :)

Got your PM Anto.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I polished my E0 up to a shine last night, and it looks nice. When I showed someone though, they commented on "what a nice blue light" it was. I know there is a strong blue tint with the CS, but where can I get hold of one that is slightly whiter but doesn't lose any of the brghtness? Is the Sandwich Shoppe one any good (in that it is the same brightness at stock current)?

Andrew

Last edited:

Latest posts