Looking for a list of 2AA LED flashlights recommended

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a list of recommended flashlights in the category of:

- runs on 2AA alkaline batteries (common)
- luxeon III LED
- CLICKY switch preferred, or twisty, but not reverse-clicky
- non-weaponized bezel
- reasonable price, not flashaholic price (<$30)

The reason for my asking is that I now need a replacement for my 2AA MiniMagLED, which robbed me of confidence by suddenly ceasing to operate properly a few days ago. It flickers off when activated, and won't stay lit.

I know there's been a proliferation of the 2AA LED flashlights lately. I'm not crazy about going with Fenix -- don't like to buy Chinese make if I can help it, and I am given to understand they are reverse-clicky switches. (Please don't suggest modding it with a different switch. I am not that into this!)

Thanks for suggesting Mag alternatives.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai 2512AA is 2AA and has a momentary clickie switch. It a 1 W but has very good run time and costs $21.50 plus shipping at Amondo Tech. If you can find them, the Elektrolumens XM-3 was a very solid 3W Lux (driving at about 2W) which had a momentary clicky and ran on 2AA. The Streamlight Lux Jr. 1W 2AA has a momentary Kroll clickie and costs about $30.
The Nuwai X-3 is a very bright 2AA with a twisty, was well reviewed and is $35 plus shipping.

All are made in China. Facts of life, my man...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree about ElektroLUmens... no experience with their AA lites, but D ones are nice. In fact, that's my #1 choice for a real lite. Expensive -- very. Nice - very much so. Wayne has this 3AA lite that I really want to check out. Very nice custom made lights far superior to mass produced Chimart junk. If you want a quality lite, they are your best bet -- and he stands by his products.

Also StreamLight Jr. Lux is a nice product but kind of obsolete and nowhere near as bright as a 3W. I've had it for 2 years -- actually 2 different ones and it's very reliable, and quality is top.

Athough on Lithiums it runs super bright.

I like my MiniMagLite, I put in a glass lense in it and it's nice. The 3AA has super nice output. I perceive as being way brighter than the old incan Mag (rightly or wrongly)

That Fenix lite seems nice but kind of overpriced... doesn't seem to do anything cheaper lights don't do. I think that with the cheap Mags, they are finished, or will have to reduce the price.

RE: Chinese lites, where is the LED for MagLIte made at? And the rest of the shell?

Except for a few expensive custom lights a la Elektrolumens (and even more expensive alternatives) they are all chinese now.

Last edited:

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Eleckrolumns XM-3. I bought 3 of these when they first came out. One went to my best friend, a non flashaholic and one who can destroy any tool just by looking at it. Over a year of use and still going strong. Of the 2 I have, one is in reserve and the other has seen hard use with NO problems. Yes they are slightly under-driven. Use lithium AA's. IMHO one of the all time best values for a AA light.
I can't speak for Wayne, of course, but if you contact him he just be able to find for you.
I can tell you his service level is on par with the best. A super gentleman to deal with

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Wayne obsoleted that lite...

if you want a quality lite, you have to go custom and spend about 5 times as much.

All of these mass produced lites are about the same thing in quality in their respective price ranges... IMO.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever used a Fenix? Why rule it out so fast. I have to say the Fenix is one of the few exceptions to all the crap that comes out of a China.

At least they do a little innovating. If only we kept this attitude towards cars during the 1980-1990s then Honda and Toyota wouldn't be where they are now.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag Luxeon LED 2XAA is pretty nice for the money. Although I'd like to see a runtime chart before I would really concrete this suggestion. I have one of the 3XAA Mags and I think it's some of Mags better work.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Have you ever used a Fenix? Why rule it out so fast. I have to say the Fenix is one of the few exceptions to all the crap that comes out of a China.

At least they do a little innovating. If only we kept this attitude towards cars during the 1980-1990s then Honda and Toyota wouldn't be where they are now.

I agree, their prices are good and they seem to just get better and better. Fenix listens to what people want and seems to care about their quality. Sure they aren't top of the line, but they are definately some of the highest middle of the road lights with great innovation to boot.

LED Cool

Enlightened
etc said:

RE: Chinese lites, where is the LED for MagLIte made at? And the rest of the shell?

Except for a few expensive custom lights a la Elektrolumens (and even more expensive alternatives) they are all chinese now.

there is a Lumileds factory here in a city named, Penang, located in Malaysia.
makes lots of Luxeon stars & emitters. but i do not know if this factory supply to Mag USA.

peacefuljeffrey,

have a look at LiteFlux LF1, meets all your requirement, except that it is made in Taiwan.

thanks.
khoo

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the suggestions. For now, the T2 rides on my belt. I'm pretty bitter about this thing with the MagLED, which I waited so eagerly for. It took so long, and now it's a disappointment?! :mad:

But if it's simply a factor of a dirty (corroded?) terminal, as some have suggested it is, then I shall look into cleaning it up and treating it, as someone in another thread mentioned with Caig DeOxit... Still need info about taking the thing apart or getting at the terminal in some other way...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I feel your pain on the Mag light, but don't really see how you could satisfy all your criteria without going with a China-made light - even then, you will have trouble finding a standard clicky. You could certainly walk into a local home hardware or electronics store and get any of a number 2AA LuxI lights well within your price limit (e.g. Dorcy 2AA Luxeon LED is a twisty with momentary on). Of course, these will all be made in China, and none will be LuxIIIs.

Given that, I think the Liteflux, Fenix and Huntlight suggestions are all much better choices (certainly much better than anything you'd find locally). They are around your price range and feature LuxIIIs, albeit with reverse clickies. My preference is for Fenix, but the Liteflux does allow you do use the light in a momentary on feature.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a "regular" (incandescent) MiniMag, you can buy a Terralux TLE-5 upgrade for it and a Kroll clicky switch. This upgrade should cost around $30-35. You can often find this setup for sale "used" in the B/S/T forums for right around $20.

My first recommendation would have been a Fenix L2T or L2S if you hadn't nixed it. They really are the best option for what you're looking for, IMO.