• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Announcing the Aleph A19 Cree XR-E

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is the infomation about the new A19XR-E.

What is it?

The head is a stock A19 head with a new A19XR-E reflector and a new one piece XR-E Light engine. The new XR-E LE accepts all the standard 0.55" diameter drivers and a Cree 7090XR-E white LED mounted on a Metal Core PCB. The metal core PCB drops into the top of the XR-E Can to make the top part of the assembly.

Phases:

Initial Phase:

Complete Light assemblies:

Light #1: A19XR-E head, GD825, McTC tailcap with clickie. This is the single 123 offering with single stage (clickie on/off). The GD doesn't like resistored tailcaps so we are not going to offer a 2 stage version at this time. We have 4 or so and they will go online tonight (tues, PST) on the shoppe with little description. We will be adding beam shots and a description later on. HA NAT or Black (TBD) Based on a few prototypes I have measured over 100 yumens of light output.

Light #2: A19XR-E head, DB916, two stage tailcap. We haven't fleshed this cofiguration out completely and this description will be revised as we determine the build.

After the initial phase we will offer the parts as DIY, completed head assemblies. Timing on this is dependant on work load, orders, sun, moon position and whether I'm facing north, south, east, west when I wake up.:laughing:

Answers to common questions:
Where is the signup list? There is no signup list.

Where is the pre-order list? There is no pre-order list.

Is this thread a list? This is not a list.

What bin code is the LED(s)? Yes

What color bin code are the Crees? Yes

What Vf are the Cree XR-Es? Yes

What do you mean by yes? Yes, there is a bin code. No I'm not telling you.

Why don't you tell us the bin code? Todays white LEDs have tight grouping and from one end of the spectrum in tint they are all nice and white. Since I would have to order reels of 1,000 pieces to get a bin code or specify a possible range, pay a premium for selected bin codes I have decided to not do that since in most cases the tint is not an issue. There is no cause for concern that you might get a puke greenie. Those days are history.

If the qty on the shoppe says zero. Then there are zero available.

-Wayne

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reserved for beam shots.

Run time graph with a Surefire CR123 battery.

t640_a19xre_gd825.jpg

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
By GD825, I assume you mean a GD converter running at 825ma...Is this only to be used with rechargeables? I'm not sure that a primary can handle that current load for long...right?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the GD825 is a GD board configured for 825mA. While the NG has a soft start threshold the GD has none. It will come up and run or try to run. No issues with starting with a CR123. I'm sure at some point the battery will be the limiting factor. Till then the GD will regulate. The other factor is the Cree XR-E LEDs have a very low Vf which means it taxes the converter board and battery less than a higher VF bin LED.

Unofficially... I just measured 6 of the first lights.

3 measured around 145 yumens and 3 measured a whopping 175 yumens.

Remember, my Integrating sphere reads ~20% high. I just measured a 27LT 5W and it measured in at 177 yumens just for comparison values. I don't recall ever measuring a Lux3 over ~80 yumens in my setup.

These measurements are for information only. I will not test individually any light, meter any light and record the information.

The GD is a buck/boost and will run on a single CR123 and R123s batteries.

The light has lumen output like a 5W with a single 123 primary battery. It's soo freakin bright it's still amazes me everytime I pick it up and turn it on. It's still got an increadible wow factor and I've had one proto for a month now.

Running this light on a R123 requires human intevention as there the GD will try to run downto below 2V. If you use R123s you need to exercise human discharge factor and pull the battery out before it's over discharged.

-Wayne

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
dat2zip said:
Running this light on a R123 requires human intevention as there the GD will try to run downto below 2V. If you use R123s you need to exercise human discharge factor and pull the battery out before it's over discharged.

Should be ok if you use protected R123's......I would think.

WP

cryhavok

Enlightened
Well I'm going to spend the whole night clicking reload:popcorn:...Perhaps being one of your most loyal customers you can send me one of the freaks! :grin2::grin2:

please :naughty:

jefft

Enlightened
Wow, what timing!! Just picked one up! Nothing like seeing a treat like this after hitting reload just once!

*Retired*
dat2zip said:
Yes, the GD825 is a GD board configured for 825mA. While the NG has a soft start threshold the GD has none. It will come up and run or try to run. No issues with starting with a CR123. I'm sure at some point the battery will be the limiting factor. Till then the GD will regulate. The other factor is the Cree XR-E LEDs have a very low Vf which means it taxes the converter board and battery less than a higher VF bin LED.

Unofficially... I just measured 6 of the first lights.

3 measured around 145 yumens and 3 measured a whopping 175 yumens.

Remember, my Integrating sphere reads ~20% high. I just measured a 27LT 5W and it measured in at 177 yumens just for comparison values. I don't recall ever measuring a Lux3 over ~80 yumens in my setup.

These measurements are for information only. I will not test individually any light, meter any light and record the information.

The GD is a buck/boost and will run on a single CR123 and R123s batteries.

The light has lumen output like a 5W with a single 123 primary battery. It's soo freakin bright it's still amazes me everytime I pick it up and turn it on. It's still got an increadible wow factor and I've had one proto for a month now.

-Wayne

Wow!

Now I'm on pins and needles and can't sleep after ordering mine!